Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone has driven 301, is it a highway where one can use the autopilot? I would rather sit in traffic relaxing with the autopilot handling the drive vs driving through traffic lights without the autopilot.

There's a 40 mile stretch of 301 from the US50 split to the Delaware state line which is two lanes each way, nearly straight, and has no traffic lights. It's generally an easy cruise, though there tend to be a lot of deer around at times. Once you get past the DE line, the other 20 miles to 95 are more congested, with only a single lane in places and several lights, but still not bad.

The future map is supposed to have one somewhere in the Annapolis/kent island/Queenstown neighborhood, depending on how you read it. With Newark being on the path at the top, I think that one is all you really need. It's a much more relaxing drive, and only a little longer/slower.

Based on the new interactive map with the gray dots, it appears 301 has no love.

The only one I cared about for 301 showed up - in Grasonville, MD on the interactive map, on 50/301 on the east side of the bay bridge. Newark is already at the top end, only about 60 miles away. I'm not sure what else you were hoping for.

With my ICE car I cut in at bowling green, VA and head through 301, i'm not sure i'd have enough charge from my home in Glen Allen, to get all the way to that Grasonville, MD charger, i think i'd need a charger somewhere before then?

With my ICE car I cut in at bowling green, VA and head through 301, i'm not sure i'd have enough charge from my home in Glen Allen, to get all the way to that Grasonville, MD charger, i think i'd need a charger somewhere before then?

That makes sense.

I live on the north end and generally use 301 to access D.C. area things or southern Maryland, so I've never really looked at charging between Glenn Allen and Grasonville - I assumed all of the 301 discussion was about the stretch on the eastern shore north of D.C.

Edit: I had a quick look at it on trip planner, and I think you'd be fine. It's very hard to adjust the routing on a phone, but the default routing up 95, around the beltway, and down 50 is showing 153 miles and 161 rated miles in decent weather - and going up 301 should chop at least 20-30 miles out of that.

A stop in the middle might be nice, but that leg should be easily suitable for any Tesla except maybe an X with a really big trailer and a lead foot. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BigD0g

Echoing @Saghost

That portion is no sweat. Anytime I go to the southern states I take 301 and, like you, cut in/out at Bowling Green. I have never had an issue Going from Glen Allen up.

Now, of course, since that is me leaving/returning home, I have built-in destination charging waiting for me so I can roll into my garage on ions if I need to and not be concerned.

Using the Laurel Supercharger and forcing the route to stay on 301/Rte3 through Crofton shows no issues making that gap. Like mid 100s of Rated miles used (went with my car's settings)

• Informative
This is how I go from Annapolis south. I have an X90D and have plenty of range to make it to Glen Allen. If coming home outside of DC rush hour I will take 95 to 495 to 50 east and still have plenty of range from Glen Allen. Depending on where in Grasonville they may put the SC it might be 20 an extra miles from Annapolis. There are a couple of Tesla destination charges (and level 2 as well) around Annapolis Mall that could get you some extra charge if running low. The Supercharger just over the Bay Bridge should allow the people coming from Northern VA or Montgomery/Frederick Counties to easily reach OC and the DE beaches and/or Salisbury SC.

I've never encountered the idle fee warning. Does it show up as a notification from the smartphone app? I've always been curious how that works because if you're having dinner, you certainly don't want to run out and move your car from the supercharger.

Yes, it gives you a warning when charging is almost complete (20 min out from complete) for the one time I received it. Basically saying the charger is almost full and idle fees may be applied.

Reactions: theflyer
Good to know. It's not marked as such and on the day I was there all chargers were in-use and there was a line. I watched two people pull in and park at that station, then spend several minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

I'm sure Tesla are aware - but any way to check and/or report it in case they're not? And maybe some kind soul could attach a post-it note to let future users know!

@Vagus - Yes, call roadside assistance 877-79-TESLA or 877-798-3752

I've called several times to report malfunctioning SpC. Sometimes I was the first report, sometimes others had already done so. But they probably prioritize based on these reports, so please help everyone and call them.