Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were traveling in the DC area last week, and needed to charge as we were heading out from Arlington (VA) to New York City on Thursday, September 27. So we went to the new charging site at Laurel, MD. (I have not read back through this thread so I do not know how long it has been open, but I gather it was opened just recently.)
Some observations from someone from outside the area, totally new to this site, for whatever they are worth:
• The navigation system directed us here, which I was glad to see because I understood it was a newly opened site.
• When we got close to the site, the navigation seemed to misdirect us a bit. Perhaps because of some construction going on in the area, or maybe because the site is in a garage, it was a bit difficult to figure out just where the chargers were. But after a false turn around the back of Harris Teeter, we noticed the parking garage and headed there. (I have noticed other instances in which chargers located in parking garages seem to be difficult to navigate to.)
• On the rainy Thursday morning when we were there, there were no other cars charging, and in fact hardly any other cars in the lower level of the garage. Wandering around the mall, we noticed few other customers. It looks to be a brand new mall, so maybe it has not yet attracted many customers. Or maybe it was the rain.
• We asked a couple of people where we could get coffee while we waited for the charge (we needed a good deal of charge as the SOC was around 10% or less) and were directed to the Starbucks concession in Harris Teeter. It struck us that the mall is not very easy to navigate from the garage, especially in the rain. We saw no store directory and Harris Teeter’s entrance and many other stores are not visible when you exit the garage. This is a comment on the mall layout, not on the superchargers themselves. If you have not yet been there, this is a “lifestyle” mall, with stores spread out over a large area and with separate entrances for each store. There is no enclosed corridor or common space, no food court, etc. One disadvantage of such malls is apparent when you try to navigate one on foot for the first time, in the rain. It is especially true here, because the garage with the chargers is on one side of the mall and away from most store entrances. There are restaurants, but scattered around with some on the far side from the garage. The closest food place is a (very noisy) ribs place directly across from the garage entrance.
• We got a fast charge, so that was the good news. I did not note the actual charge rate except at the start, but it started at over 100 KW, pretty fast for my 70D.
So, we got the charge we needed, and a snack and something to drink, so we were content. But be aware that you might need to walk a bit to get to whatever food or drink you might prefer.

Yes, the two times I tried using the Nav, both times it would tell me to turn away from the garage when coming in off 4th Street. Even though the location of the SC seemed to be accurate on the map.
Yes, that was my experience as well. Listening to the voice indicated I should turn right, towards the back of Harris Teeter, but the map showed the SC off to the left. So I eventually figured out to follow the map.

I had an interesting experience at the super charger today. I just went there to show a co-worker what they looked like and parked in a non charger space near and perpendicular to the charging bays. When I got back from lunch my charge port was open! It definitely wasn't open when I left. There was a car charging at the bay nearest to where I parked so I assume when they pushed the button to open their charge port it opened mine too, even though it was 12 feet away.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I had an interesting experience at the super charger today. I just went there to show a co-worker what they looked like and parked in a non charger space near and perpendicular to the charging bays. When I got back from lunch my charge port was open! It definitely wasn't open when I left. There was a car charging at the bay nearest to where I parked so I assume when they pushed the button to open their charge port it opened mine too, even though it was 12 feet away.

I'm not sure what the effective range is, but yes, a single button push can open the door on multiple Teslas that are nearby. Kinda surprised it was still open, since your signature shows a newer car that should have the motorized port and those usually close themselves again after being ignored for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My first TeslaRoadTrip when we were all group charging, I found myself playing whack-a-mole trying to close all the charge ports as people were swapping in and out - I think it was chickensevil who finally clued me in.
I also find that when I unplug my car, I sometimes hit the button accidentally while stowing the cable, but only at home, not so much at SC.

We were traveling in the DC area last week, and needed to charge as we were heading out from Arlington (VA) to New York City on Thursday, September 27. So we went to the new charging site at Laurel, MD. (I have not read back through this thread so I do not know how long it has been open, but I gather it was opened just recently.)
Some observations from someone from outside the area, totally new to this site, for whatever they are worth:
• The navigation system directed us here, which I was glad to see because I understood it was a newly opened site.
• When we got close to the site, the navigation seemed to misdirect us a bit. Perhaps because of some construction going on in the area, or maybe because the site is in a garage, it was a bit difficult to figure out just where the chargers were. But after a false turn around the back of Harris Teeter, we noticed the parking garage and headed there. (I have noticed other instances in which chargers located in parking garages seem to be difficult to navigate to.)
• On the rainy Thursday morning when we were there, there were no other cars charging, and in fact hardly any other cars in the lower level of the garage. Wandering around the mall, we noticed few other customers. It looks to be a brand new mall, so maybe it has not yet attracted many customers. Or maybe it was the rain.
• We asked a couple of people where we could get coffee while we waited for the charge (we needed a good deal of charge as the SOC was around 10% or less) and were directed to the Starbucks concession in Harris Teeter. It struck us that the mall is not very easy to navigate from the garage, especially in the rain. We saw no store directory and Harris Teeter’s entrance and many other stores are not visible when you exit the garage. This is a comment on the mall layout, not on the superchargers themselves. If you have not yet been there, this is a “lifestyle” mall, with stores spread out over a large area and with separate entrances for each store. There is no enclosed corridor or common space, no food court, etc. One disadvantage of such malls is apparent when you try to navigate one on foot for the first time, in the rain. It is especially true here, because the garage with the chargers is on one side of the mall and away from most store entrances. There are restaurants, but scattered around with some on the far side from the garage. The closest food place is a (very noisy) ribs place directly across from the garage entrance.
• We got a fast charge, so that was the good news. I did not note the actual charge rate except at the start, but it started at over 100 KW, pretty fast for my 70D.
So, we got the charge we needed, and a snack and something to drink, so we were content. But be aware that you might need to walk a bit to get to whatever food or drink you might prefer.

I was there yesterday. While I am grateful to have Superchargers in that area, the location is TERRIBLE. A lot of shady characters hanging in the garage and around the mall. Three youths arrested outside garage as we left. I would not let my wife stop there by herself in the future and I would not go if it was late at night.
In addition it is far from 95. The Nav takes you through neighborhoods, some not so nice.
This location is not a good one

Reactions: Mknac
Had a nice time exploring the area on Sunday with my wife. We stayed in Columbia, and tripped down to Laurel to check it out. Like others have mentioned, it's a little hard to find - but the nav does get you there in the end. It's an outdoor-style mall, with mid-tier retail, a movie theater, and some nice restaurants. While we were plugging in, a young family was leaving their ICE nearby. The little kid asked what the pretty blue car was doing, and the mother responded that we were filling up with electricity, like their car fills up with gas. I waved.

It was impossibly cute.

IMG_6199.JPG
I don't think that's right. :( I disconnected and reconnected and it is stuck at <10kwh.

Two others charging. I tried 5a and 5b. Even with them charging I should never have seen 0kwh.

It started out just fine at about 300, got about 40 miles and it crashed. I didn't show it, but after switching to the other connector it only went to 10kwh then dropped down to 0-1 and showed 10 hours to charge. Never seen that behavior before. Temp was in the 50s so no issue there either.

Got home and the car charged fine so it was most likely something wrong with the supercharger itself, but still.

Two others charging. I tried 5a and 5b. Even with them charging I should never have seen 0kwh.

It started out just fine at about 300, got about 40 miles and it crashed. I didn't show it, but after switching to the other connector it only went to 10kwh then dropped down to 0-1 and showed 10 hours to charge. Never seen that behavior before. Temp was in the 50s so no issue there either.

Got home and the car charged fine so it was most likely something wrong with the supercharger itself, but still.
5a? 5b? It only goes to 4. I'm on 3a right now with no issues. No pairing when I plugged in. Started at 110KW.

• Informative
Reactions: Austral and Fiddler
I'm in northern va normally and all of the routes I travel in are completely devoid of superchargers (which is a completely different complaint session), so no supercharging on a normal basis. I asked them to pull logs from my car and they said they were also working with the local team and have heard nothing since.

I doubt I will hear anything until I try to supercharge again, but it won't be at laurel. It took me 40 minutes to get there from 95 due to rain and traffic. That's crazy.

I was there yesterday. While I am grateful to have Superchargers in that area, the location is TERRIBLE. A lot of shady characters hanging in the garage and around the mall. Three youths arrested outside garage as we left. I would not let my wife stop there by herself in the future and I would not go if it was late at night.
In addition it is far from 95. The Nav takes you through neighborhoods, some not so nice.
This location is not a good one

Probably a "good" location for Tesla as far as discouraging locals from using the SC's as personal charging stations though!

Reactions: EVTECH
Sorry, 4a and b then. I was a bit tired after driving in the rain yesterday. Thought it was a 5.

I did report it and they are checking on the issue.

4A and B still not working properly. Tapers down to 5kW after a few minutes. Wasnt paying attention on phone and it added just a few miles after 30 minutes. Had to move to another charger.