Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there today. When I pulled in around 2 pm the stalls were as follows;

1a in use
1b open
2a in use but they pulled out 2 mins after I arrived
2b in use
3a in use
3b in use
4a open (see below)
4b in use

I pulled into 1b. I knew I was paired with 1a so I did not expect a great charge rate. Climbed to 35kw then back to zero. Back to about 35 then back to zero. I watched this for about 20 cycles and decided that was enough. Decided to move to 4a. Connector was damaged and would not seat on my socket. Then went to 2a which climbed to 70 which I thought was pretty good since 2b was already in use.

Anyway I called and was told that 4a was known about and was scheduled to be fixed in the next few days. They however did not know about the surging on 1b and would open a tix on it.

Btw I think 4a is the one that was hit prior to opening. It was accually hit before it was cabled and the plastics were bolted on if i remember correctly. The damaged pipe was cut off, sleeved and re-welded. It worked fine after hooked up as I have used it. This connector issue is new.

Update on 4a at Laurel.

Connector looks to have been replaced. My S75 got up to 90kW on it before ramping back down.

Also I was wrong about the repaired stall.
The damaged then repaired stall was 4b. See attached showing the weld at the bottom of the post.
20170711_140439.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Austral and Thinkje
Tuesday July 25th. 1:15 pm edt.
Laurel hopping today.
Five of eight pedestals in use.
Connector on 3b damaged. Will not fully seat in my car connector. Moved to 2b. No issue.
Supercharger team called. They already had a ticket on it.
I wrapped the pedestal with caution tape to keep others from pulling in and finding
the same issue.
20170725_133914.jpg

I was there yesterday for my first Supercharge with my new X100D. I was also eager to show my wife how great the superchargers are, as we have been using a free Chademo near our house, but it only does about 106 mph charge at best. I know that when I had a loaner I saw 275 mph charge at the Salisbury MD supercharger.

When I pulled in and it looked like 5 of the eight stalls were full. I went to 4B and plugged in. Power only went to 35kw. Charge rate of about 100 mph. I looked in the window of 4A, and it was getting 275 mph, even when I was charging. I also noticed 3A and 3B were open. I disconnected, moved in and then I saw red tap on both stalls, and saw the lights were off on both the stations. Back to 4B, until another Tesla pulled out of 2B. I moved to 2B, and the handle was very hot. Charge rate only got up to 70kw, and about 180 mph charge. Eventually other Teslas showed up. It was a busy Sunday afternoon. Eventually a line formed waiting for stalls. It did appear that a couple of model S's with full charges were just sitting and finished charging, but it was hard to tell, because apparently at some point the charge port light and dash indicator turns off? Several stalls were occupied and should have been fully charged. (they were occupied when I got there until after I left - I wonder if they got idle charges?) Another model X showed up when 4A left and they were in 4B until 4A left. Then they got 288 mph charging!

I can understand some stalls being down. But the slow charge rate on 2B and pitiful rate on 4B (when 4A was getting a great rate) was perplexing. They better get this sorted before the Model 3 production ramps up!

That is how it is supposed to work. With the paired, A/B, stalls the first person to plug in gets "full" power, and the second person gets what is leftover. As the first person charges and the charge rate slows down that power gets transferred to the other stall.

I'm new to Supercharging, my only previous experience was in a loaner 75D at the Salisbury supercharger when I was the only vehicle there.I was under the mis-apprehension that the vehicles shared the power somewhat equally. Good to know. Thanks.

That is how it is supposed to work. With the paired, A/B, stalls the first person to plug in gets "full" power, and the second person gets what is leftover. As the first person charges and the charge rate slows down that power gets transferred to the other stall.

Thanks for the clarification. I had the impression A would be reduced when B plugged in lengthening A's charge time. Glad to hear that isn't the case. [You're sure, right?]

According to supercharge.info there are about 14 superchargers under construction in the Northeast. If the people in charge of bringing them online are also the ones in charge of keeping the existing superchargers running it may take a while for the Laurel stations to be fixed.

Reactions: Lanny
I saw a Twitter posting yesterday by Pluginsites that Laurel now has a 40 minute charging maximum. Maybe he can post the picture.

Yeah there is a giant sign to the left of the leftmost charger (1A?) that says 40 minute maximum. Some people are leaving their cars plugged in for an excessive amount of time (> 1 hour). I'm guessing this an attempt to curb that behavior but i don't see how it's enforceable. I thought the idle charges would help this.