Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lawrence, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have to say that this location and the one under construction at Topeka (Big Springs) just down the road has me thinking about my highway routing when heading between Emporia and Kansas City. Growing up, my dad always used I-35 (instead of I-335 and I-70) for this stretch of road, and mostly out of habit, I followed suit. Having the Supercharger right on the Kansas Turnpike makes that route so much more convenient to charge at. For this stretch of highway, I've frequented either Olathe or Emporia, both of which aren't right by the highway and take a little driving on surface streets. Add to that that Olathe is an older v2 location and I just may need to change my standard highway routing.

I'm kind of assuming once this gets added to the navigation database that it will prefer routing this was to get the faster v3 charging speeds and easy on/off access. On a trip earlier this summer, the navigation routing already seemed to be preferring v3 stations (Emporia, KS and Liberty, MO) when traveling along I-35.

Tesla Supercharger stations are going in at the 3 Service Areas along the Turnpike that already have CCS charging stations installed. I wonder when Tesla and/or CCS stations will go in at the other Service Areas along the Kansas Turnpike. They have gas available every 30-50 miles along the Turnpike, so hope they eventually get charging at those same sites as well. Having one at a Service Area somewhere between Towanda and Topeka/Big Springs would be really helpful as well as maybe one at the far south Service Area, so between Wichita, KS and Perry, OK.

This servIce plaza can be accessed heading either eastbound of westbound, but Tesla navigation and google maps navigation incorrectly show it as being accessible going eastbound only. If you’re heading west from KC, nav tries to take you to the next exit to turn around and go back on the highway going east. Ignore this and just get off at the service plaza exit on the left and drive to the eastbound side near the water tower.

This servIce plaza can be accessed heading either eastbound of westbound, but Tesla navigation and google maps navigation incorrectly show it as being accessible going eastbound only. If you’re heading west from KC, nav tries to take you to the next exit to turn around and go back on the highway going east. Ignore this and just get off at the service plaza exit on the left and drive to the eastbound side near the water tower.
the issue has been reported to Tesla - thanks.

Not sure if any of the folks the manage the supercharge.info site might be following this thread, but the gps location in the supercharge.info database is incorrect for this location. They show it at the east end of the site, but it is at the far west end of the site. I charged here a couple days ago. The gps location reported in my datalog from my car shows as 39.018506, -95.137357. This is towards the eastern end of the row of stalls. This is a screen capture from the supercharge.info map. The red dot on the right is where they have it pinned. I've dropped a red star in which is the general approximate are of where the supercharger is located.

1663587434216.png