Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lawrence, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
resurrecting a dead thread :D

We've got large numbers of Interstate stretches that have 150 miles gaps. Boston and Hookset are only 60 miles apart and you are asking for one (and yes it is proposed) at 30 miles.

people who live in cities often can't even charge at home due to lack of facilities. It's helpful to have a small supercharger nearby.

But I can empathize. I drove from NH to Disney World last thanksgiving, and SC to FL was sparse. Esp when the Savannah one is kinda hard to get to. !!update!! Hardeeville now has a V3 SC! The northern stretch of my trip had so many SC options that it felt like having gas stations at every exit. Pretty sure rollout is dependent on tesla-owning density in the area.

Wondering if this open lot might be the future home of the Lawrence SC.

Google Maps

Last edited:
resurrecting a dead thread :D

people who live in cities often can't even charge at home due to lack of facilities. It's helpful to have a small supercharger nearby.

But I can empathize. I drove from NH to Disney World last thanksgiving, and SC to FL was sparse. Esp when the Savannah one is kinda hard to get to. !!update!! Hardeeville now has a V3 SC! The northern stretch of my trip had so many SC options that it felt like having gas stations at every exit. Pretty sure rollout is dependent on tesla-owning density in the area.

Wondering if this open lot might be the future home of the Lawrence SC.

Google Maps
Lawrence-proper is far outside Tesla's demographics.

There are rumors that it will actually be placed in the Tuscan Village development across the border in Salem, NH.

That would be awesome for me, as I live by there. Wonder how many more years until NH gets a service center.
Soon, if they want to scale up sales in northern NE (VT/NH/ME). Home delivery doesn't scale, buyers from those states (with lower sales tax rates than MA) can't take deliver in MA without paying higher MA sales tax.

Lawrence-proper is far outside Tesla's demographics.
In the "outside Tesla's demographics" dept: Park Porsche Audi used to be at 222 Lowell Street (corner of Lowell and Franklin) in Lawrence. They were in Lawrence since the 60's, I think. I bought a 2000 S4 and a 2001 Boxster S from them.

The old dealership looks like it's still empty (per Google street view) - Google Maps

Arthur Park retired in 2000 and sold the business; the new owners built the facility off Rt 3 in Nashua and renamed the dealerships "Porsche Nashua" and "Audi Nashua"

In the "outside Tesla's demographics" dept: Park Porsche Audi used to be at 222 Lowell Street (corner of Lowell and Franklin) in Lawrence. They were in Lawrence since the 60's, I think. I bought a 2000 S4 and a 2001 Boxster S from them.

The old dealership looks like it's still empty (per Google street view) - Google Maps

Arthur Park retired in 2000 and sold the business; the new owners built the facility off Rt 3 in Nashua and renamed the dealerships "Porsche Nashua" and "Audi Nashua"
Yea, Lawrence has shifted in the last 25 years or so, not necessarily for the better.

Like every place, it's not all bad, but personally, as a local, I wouldn't use a SC in Lawrence unless it was a dire emergency.

I think that downtown dealership would have gone out in almost any city, never mind Lawrence. Such dealership properties are too small in this day and age. I can think of dealerships in West Roxbury, Hyde Park, downtown Dedham, Needham, Norwood....oh, I could go on and on, never mind Commonwealth Ave. in Boston. The trend has been towards larger dealership properties, often combining several brands under one roof and located on a major strip retail road (Rt. 114 in Danvers, Rt. 1 Norwood, etc.) Even if Lawrence were prosperous (business takes me to downtown Lawrence several times a year, I know it's a mess), it's only natural that this dealership moved to some kind of larger property on a large road, closer to a highway, than what 222 Lowell St. offers. Even the Dedham Tesla property is really too small for what Tesla needs. That's why the Lincoln Mercury dealer that had been there previously, Owen Motors I think it was, moved out in the first place.

Regarding the Supercharger, I'm thinking that it will be located in some retail area off 495 in the Lawrence/Andover area and I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to stop there. I highly doubt that it's going to be located anywhere in the downtown Lawrence area, north of the river, etc.

Last edited:
This had nothing to do with the demographics of Lawrence. Andover and North Andover were 3 miles from the site, definitely the demographic. When Lyon Waugh bought the dealership franchise they ran it in the Lawrence facility for a few years. They were forced to relocate to Nashua when Audi USA mandated new standards for Dealerships, design language, service, square footage etc.

This had nothing to do with the demographics of Lawrence. Andover and North Andover were 3 miles from the site, definitely the demographic. When Lyon Waugh bought the dealership franchise they ran it in the Lawrence facility for a few years. They were forced to relocate to Nashua when Audi USA mandated new standards for Dealerships, design language, service, square footage etc.

Yes, company standards for franchises is a large part of what has driven dealerships in general out of downtowns and onto highway strips.

It's interesting that Tesla has sometimes bucked that trend with its gallery stores for better or for worse.

Reactions: Castlerock
My best speculation is that it would be right off of 495 where there is already a significant charging setup from ChargePoint.

Bulger Veterinary Hospital
141 Winthrop Ave, Lawrence, MA 01843, United States

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

There is a significant undeveloped site directly next to this ChargePoint location, including large, unused electrical pads. It could make sense to be on the 495 corridor as there’s not much else if you’re traveling that direction until you get to Seabrook. If it was initially planned to be on the 93 corridor, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it moved to Tuscan Village in Salem NH, as speculated in a previous comment.

Recycling this old Lawrence, MA thread because...

Tesla is proposing a supercharger to be located in the parking lot at or adjacent to the Starbucks with an address of 141 Winthrop Ave, Lawrence, MA 01843.

From the ZBA application: "Replacement of the level 2 and 3 chargers with Tesla Superchargers and upgraded transformer." It sounds like there is an existing ChargePoint L2+L3 charging station there that Tesla is proposing to completely replace!

Tesla is scheduled to come before the zoning board of appeals on April 27, 2023 for a variance
1681417940294.png

Last edited:
Reactions: juliusa
I live close by. Yes ChargePoint is there and almost never used at this location. If they propose replacing what is already there it should be a fast build. ChargePoint has two fast chargers wired up but only installed one post. Not sure why.

I live close by. Yes ChargePoint is there and almost never used at this location. If they propose replacing what is already there it should be a fast build. ChargePoint has two fast chargers wired up but only installed one post. Not sure why.
No info on the history of the ChargePoint's there, but to set expectations Tesla is likely still in need of further approvals from the City before they have what they need to start working on getting the job assigned and scheduled with a contractor.

For me, this adds some peace of mind between Seabrook and Littleton.

Seabrook was offline when I last wanted to use it, a couple months ago.. Luckily, I checked before starting out, and charged extra at Kennebunk.
Not much in the way for food except Starbucks. There is a large empty parcel perfect for some sort of restaurant but no one seems interested due to the zip code. (I.e. Lawrence)

Reactions: Blueaudi18