Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laytonville, CA (LIVE Jun 28, 2019, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it’s a mount for H2!? There are 2 spaces with empty sign posts next to it, between the chargepoint. Dumb. Just one more fuel to transport. At least when the H2 trucks crash the fuel doesn’t get in the water
I find it highly unlikely that Laytonville is going to get a hydrogen fueling station. Or were you...joking? :cool:

Pretty sure these are just benches for sitting on. Urban-style, with dividers between seats to discourage lying on them.

I'd expect the seats in your car to be more comfortable, but with two benches I guess a group could sit face to face and have a conversation. You may also get a better view of the moderately scenic hillside or traffic going by than from inside the car? Seems like a picnic table setup would be more useful at a charging station than the sort of bench you'd find at a bus stop.
lolololol. i like your thinking!
really? benches so why the crazy 8" Bollards?
I would have put a bench under the oak tree too.
pretty sure those are not sitting places for humans

I find it highly unlikely that Laytonville is going to get a hydrogen fueling station. Or were you...joking? :cool:
nope. serious. wish I wasn't
I looked at a proposal for H2 and charging just down the street. I think this is the location that they ended up using.
was going to be a couple of different L3 + H2.

Experienced some strange behavior at this supercharger on Wednesday. I plugged in, got a normal charge rate, then after 10-15 minutes it dropped all the way to 0kW and said "Charging stopped." Then after 30-60 seconds of no charging, it started up again on its own again with a normal charge rate. I was on the phone at the time which is why I didn't intervene sooner (trying to wrap up the phone conversation on bluetooth before unplugging and plugging in again). Since I was multi-tasking, I didn't get the stall number, but it was kind of in the middle and directly facing the Chargepoint chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
My first time charging at this location. After over a year, the @Zextraterrestrial ”mount for H2” structures are still there, no hydrogen in sight. ;)

Pretty sure they are benches for humans. Strange, but seems the most likely explanation.

@PLUS EV : getting normal charging behavior, plugged in at about 45% and quickly ramped up to 119kW, then gradual taper.

Heading south: charging up to 98% so I can skip Ukiah and make it to Petaluma (note I am towing, so increased energy usage).

D3773168-C4D7-4578-8DED-E6CE868E5B6F.jpeg
42601E71-9D58-45D9-A57D-44BF0B2C8AE8.jpeg

I did sit and I did not fall off. :D So based on that brief test, those structures can serve as a bench. They are certainly not the most carefully designed benches I have ever tried. A bit odd, to be sure.

That said, I cannot definitively states what their purpose is.
Covid pre-planned benches properly spaced ;>
they are better to jump around on for exercise

From what I knew/looked at years ago there is supposed to be H2 in Laytonville and Eureka, think it is part of the EA / VW settlement, there were 2 other grants(or 2 total for charge point+ the VW thing). Richardson's Grove is done but not powered? (has been finished for several months), Willits Safeway should also be done - EA L3 chargers (+ H2 forever in the future?)

I think a hydrogen fueling station would require much more room than that corner of the parking lot set off by those bollards. Seems like an odd location for mount a tank of hydrogen.

I was just at Richardson Grove State Park. Are you saying there are EV chargers there? Nothing shown on PlugShare right now for that location, or for the Willits Safeway, which I also recently drove right by but neglected to check the parking lot.

I think a hydrogen fueling station would require much more room than that corner of the parking lot set off by those bollards. Seems like an odd location for mount a tank of hydrogen.

I was just at Richardson Grove State Park. Are you saying there are EV chargers there? Nothing shown on PlugShare right now for that location, or for the Willits Safeway, which I also recently drove right by but neglected to check the parking lot.
I was at Willits in December 2020. There are 2 or 3 (can't remember) EA chargers in the Safeway parking lot. I have a CHAdeMO adapter in my P85D so I can use those if I needed to. Of course in those neck of the woods, the EV spaces were squatted by pickup trucks.

Reactions: ohmman
I was at Willits in December 2020. There are 2 or 3 (can't remember) EA chargers in the Safeway parking lot. I have a CHAdeMO adapter in my P85D so I can use those if I needed to. Of course in those neck of the woods, the EV spaces were squatted by pickup trucks.
The last time I was in Willits to charge, it was 2017, I had our trailer behind our X90D, and I went to the police station where there's a 14-50, just to get enough juice to make it to Ukiah. It was around 8pm and they were having a town parade. Cute town. I would have preferred to be able to skip that slow charge, but it worked out and we met some great people.

I was here last week. Hot as heck around 100 deg F. Biggest problem was there was no restroom. The Chinese restaurant is no entry/take out only. The adjacent plaza didn't have a public restroom. Wasn't sure if the market at the end of the block had a restroom, certainly the sign in the front said "No Public restroom", but that doesn't necessarily mean that paying customers can't use. Ended up at the busy Chevron station. Wife was happy with the restroom there.

It would really nice to have a charger between Laytonville and Eureka to split that 112 mile gap..... Such as Garberville or Benbow or Garberville. Then again if CCS1 adapter ever gets released then the CCS stations at Benbow and One Log House could be used.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
It would really nice to have a charger between Laytonville and Eureka to split that 112 mile gap..... Such as Garberville or Benbow or Garberville. Then again if CCS1 adapter ever gets released then the CCS stations at Benbow and One Log House could be used.
I agree, but not sure at this point 112 miles is considered an important gap to fill.

split a 112 mi gap. in a leaf? I assume you are towing? You could just do Chademo if you only need a little bump @ Benbow the river is pretty. (That CCS/ CHad network is pricey tho! I'd drive slower vs use those ever...just out of principle. VW scandal $. feels dirty)

& correct, I think that Gas station is the only 24 hr location

my wife and i went to this charger a couple times, the chinese restaurant told me the restroom was closed. the second time we drove by we walked in anyways and the lights were off in the restroom, used my phone light.
very unwelcome to non customers, its the same address, if the tesla chargers were placed there for the boomers saloon i dont know why they were placed on the side with the chinese restaurant, and i wish the app on the navigation told us which bathroom its ok to use. talking to a property owner in oregon, its in tesla's agreement that if they put a supercharger in locations you are supposed to let the people charging use the restrooms. my experience with the restaurant, id never order anything, so id never know if its good or not.

its better off to use either rest stop a couple miles before or after the charger.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial