Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laytonville, CA (LIVE Jun 28, 2019, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there have been at least a dozen S that I've known about since '13. Id'd guess at least 50 S/X in the Arcata/Eureka/Fortuna area now and a few model 3, probably more & lots of Leaves too.

Between Eureka and The Bay area, before there were any superchargers, I used to always charge at the Benbow. They remodeled last year and I haven't been there for a couple of years but I'd assume they still have charger/s. It was one of the locations they built specifically for a roadster owner 'back in the day'

Good to know, thanks. Plugshare says they still have a 14-50. If Laytonville still isn't open then, I'll use Benbow for my next trip.

-Snortybartfast

It seems odd that Laytonville was chosen over Garberville for a SuperCharger Station. There are far more Teslas residing in the Garberville area than in the Laytonville area. Garberville is a much larger town with far better restaurants, accommodations, merchants and it's the gateway to the Lost Coast. I really hope they will reconsider and 'do the right thing' for the Tesla community.

I am confident that Tesla is always trying to do “the right thing” when building out their Supercharger network, but in small towns Tesla may not be able to find a location willing to allow a Supercharger. It is entirely possible that the site in Laytonville was the only suitable location Tesla could find between Ukiah and Eureka, for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I am confident that Tesla is always trying to do “the right thing” when building out their Supercharger network, but in small towns Tesla may not be able to find a location willing to allow a Supercharger. It is entirely possible that the site in Laytonville was the only suitable location Tesla could find between Ukiah and Eureka, for now.

There aren't many parking lots with extra room to accommodate chargers in the Garberville/Redway area. As a small town, things just aren't built to the scale where 8 stalls is a rounding error. I remember the biggest parking lots in the downtown areas where there are amenities for visitors, namely at the grocery stores, tend to be pretty full during the day. Some of the motels have decent-sized lots, but they may need all the spaces for busy times when they manage to book all their rooms. If @johnnya knows of a local business with a slightly-too-big parking lot, maybe he can give Tesla a location tip.

Fan is right. Tesla spent about one year trying to place a Supercharger in Bishop, California. According to a person in the city's building department, there were no convenient places to install one at reasonable cost to Tesla. The one location that considered it wanted a lot of rent for the spots. Tesla finally chose Mammoth Lakes, a good 40 miles away and three miles off 395.

It is likely that there are other spots that were or are similar.

At least with Laytonville, the Supercharger will be adjacent to the highway until such time that 101 becomes a freeway to bypass the town. And that could be decades.

Anyone local that understands why this is taking so long? Maybe has an in with permitting in that city?
I doubt it is permitting but not 100% sure. Probably just not a top priority location for Tesla since there is charging but you need to track back to Ukiah if you are coming from Sacramento on 20
...and there was still nothing last week. The permit still says it is 'under review' but that has been the status since last November. I think the permitting is Mendo County / Laytonville is a 'town'

eTrakit says that a correction letter was sent on July 3rd. I'm not sure what that means but here is the info:
Group: ALL
Type: REVISION / RECHECK
Date Submitted: 6/19/2018
Date Due: 7/3/2018
Date Completed: 7/3/2018
Reviewer: DON FOLSOM

Thanks all! We're heading up to the north western corner of California this weekend. I've been watching this station for a while and wondered why no action. At least there are stations in Eureka AND Crescent City!
Eureka mall has a food court and numerous restaurants nearby, and the bathroom in Crescent City is accessible through the national and state park building across the street. Have a wonderful trip, and take the Newton P. Drury scenic parkway just north of Orick. It is only a few minutes longer than the freeway it parallels, and is a spectacular view of the old growth redwoods.

Reactions: ProphetM and ohmman
Eureka mall has a food court and numerous restaurants nearby, and the bathroom in Crescent City is accessible through the national and state park building across the street. Have a wonderful trip, and take the Newton P. Drury scenic parkway just north of Orick. It is only a few minutes longer than the freeway it parallels, and is a spectacular view of the old growth redwoods.

It may also be easier on power as it doesn't have the big climb of the current 101. If I recall, Crescent City may also have additional bathroom options in the Chamber of Commerce building across Front street, and at the Library across the parking lot. If the National Park bathrooms are closed, others may be open.

Another great trip up in that corner is Howland Hill Road. It used to be the Redwood Highway in the 1920s. It's a nice loop that can be taken from south of Crescent City, east through the redwoods to Stout Grove, continuing to Hiouchi and US 199, then back on 199 into Crescent City from the north. Not to be done with a trailer!

I am wondering if the Laytonville charger is going in at Boomer's (top left- pretty sure permit said it was here) or across the street at the newer building, where it shows the location on the Supercharger map? maybe the correction letter changed the location? Boomer's has a lot more parking
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Yes the permit address found by the OP of this thread is for Boomer’s, 45020 N Hwy 101, Laytonville, CA 95454. Which as you note appears to have space in the parking lot. Great location, and much needed for those using the 101, especially those like me who are towing a trailer.
I am wondering if the Laytonville charger is going in at Boomer's (top left- pretty sure permit said it was here) or across the street at the newer building, where it shows the location on the Supercharger map? maybe the correction letter changed the location? Boomer's has a lot more parking
View attachment 319378 View attachment 319379

Reactions: JimVandegriff
View attachment 319378 View attachment 319379

Location markers on Tesla's map for sites that haven't opened yet are not precise, and give no information as to the exact location. They are located at the coordinates of the city name (or sometimes neighborhood name) in Google Maps.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
On my return trip home today, stopped in the large parking lot of the Asian Palace restaurant, adjacent to Boomers, to switch drivers. That is the address shown in the building permit. Absolutely no signs of Supercharger construction in that parking lot. There certainly is plenty of unused space in that lot, which is directly off 101 and right next to the main power line running through town.

93195B81-36EE-478F-9329-DBF812449FF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Live in Santa Rosa and I wish they would get this one done. The Ukiah charger is almost useless if your headed north. I need to use it going north to top off, but I am having to charge the top end which is always much slower and it still doesn’t make it possible to do much, other than drive straight to eureka. Skipping ukiah and charging in the mid range would be much quicker and would allow some side trips and or make it all the way in cold windy weather.