Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laytonville, CA (LIVE Jun 28, 2019, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure I found the permit for the "Coming Soon" supercharger in Laytonville, CA in Mendocino County's list of permits applied for in October 2017. Permit BU_2017-1152 was submitted on October 18th and was still under review as of the end of the month. It calls for "NEW TESLA CAR CHARGING STATIONS". I don't think it is HPWCs because a) it's "stations", plural and it's at a building which just has two restaurants and b) the person who submitted it is Anthony Serpa, who Google tells me works for Black & Veatch and submitted the permit application for the Howard, Wisconsin superchargers. The address is 45020 Highway 101, which has Boomer's Saloon and Anna's Asian Palace.

Last edited:
Very nice work. This is a much needed Supercharger between the Ukiah and Eureka chargers. It's also really helpful for anyone (like me) pulling a camper up or down the 101 between those stations.

Also, @BlueShift, this looks solid enough for a permit dot.

Sigh. Ohmman, I can buy you books, and I can send you to school, but I cannot wean you from identifying highways with "the" before the number. :D

That said, you are eminently correct that this placement makes traveling with a trailer much more accommodating as one traipses up and down the Redwood Highway, or US101.

but I cannot wean you from identifying highways with "the" before the number. :D
I find it fascinating that people feel that passionate about this. But watching the SNL sketches “The Californians”, I get it. ;-)
Those “extra” chargers are not only great for folks that tow trailers up the 101 highway (see, it works!) but will also benefit everyone else with more flexibility around where to stop, and help avoid congested chargers.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
This is a much needed Supercharger between the Ukiah and Eureka chargers. It's also really helpful for anyone (like me) pulling a camper up or down the 101 between those stations.
I am also very pleased to see this Supercharger location coming in the near future, I will be using it!

Nice work @emupilot. And kudos for you for proper thread title format.

I too say “the 101” because while I was born in the SF Bay Area (where people do not use the “the”) I grew up in Southern California where they do use the “the”. And there is nothing wrong with that! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: chateauoaks
Very nice work. This is a much needed Supercharger between the Ukiah and Eureka chargers. It's also really helpful for anyone (like me) pulling a camper up or down the 101 between those stations.

Also, @BlueShift, this looks solid enough for a permit dot.

Yes, that splits a 156 mile gap. Tesla's continuing to fill in gaps and increase density of coverage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Klaus
I think that this placement has another excellent advantage:

Laytonville will let drivers skip the down-and-back-again jaunt to Ukiah in order to reach Sac and other interior destinations. Highway 20 heads east off 101 about 9 miles north of Ukiah (if memory serves.) You also avoid the traffic morass approaching Sta. Rosa and then trying to head east through Sonoma County onto Interstate 80.

It is 175 miles, give or take, from the Supercharger at Sacramento to the location planned for Laytonville via I-5 and Williams. The smaller batteries or Model X's towing trailers probably might not be able to make the journey, but the 75kWh+ batteries should be able to make this leg fairly easily. For some reason, the map feature on my phone does not consider using highway 16 out of Woodland to meet up with highway 20 in Lake County, but I think that this route is likely 7-10 miles shorter.

Clear Lake is the largest lake wholly within the State of California. Good fishing too.

I think that this placement has another excellent advantage:

Laytonville will let drivers skip the down-and-back-again jaunt to Ukiah in order to reach Sac and other interior destinations. Highway 20 heads east off 101 about 9 miles north of Ukiah (if memory serves.) You also avoid the traffic morass approaching Sta. Rosa and then trying to head east through Sonoma County onto Interstate 80.

It is 175 miles, give or take, from the Supercharger at Sacramento to the location planned for Laytonville via I-5 and Williams. The smaller batteries or Model X's towing trailers probably might not be able to make the journey, but the 75kWh+ batteries should be able to make this leg fairly easily. For some reason, the map feature on my phone does not consider using highway 16 out of Woodland to meet up with highway 20 in Lake County, but I think that this route is likely 7-10 miles shorter.

Clear Lake is the largest lake wholly within the State of California. Good fishing too.
Yes and taking this route is so much nicer than fighting traffic and driving through the periphery of the Bay Area.

I am also very pleased to see this Supercharger location coming in the near future, I will be using it!

Nice work @emupilot. And kudos for you for proper thread title format.

I too say “the 101” because while I was born in the SF Bay Area (where people do not use the “the”) I grew up in Southern California where they do use the “the”. And there is nothing wrong with that! :cool:

You are correct @ecarfan and The correct terminology is "the 101" not 101. San Franciscans are not considered true Californians regardless of the 6 months they've all been paying rent here. Not to worry, they'll be moving back to New Jersey soon when they discover they can now buy Hummus there.

You are correct @ecarfan and The correct terminology is "the 101" not 101. San Franciscans are not considered true Californians regardless of the 6 months they've all been paying rent here. Not to worry, they'll be moving back to New Jersey soon when they discover they can now buy Hummus there.

New Jersey is The Garden State, so I would have thought that they have always had an ample supply of Humus. :rolleyes:

Since Laytonville is far north of SF, it is on "101", not on "the 101". I grew up in both SoCal (16 years) and NorCal (5 years) so I've used both styles and in fact I still do, depending on where I am.

As you head north on US 101, kindly deposit your "the" in the receptacle provided at the northbound Camp Roberts rest area, north of Paso Robles. From there it will be ferried by maintenance crews to the southbound rest area, where you can pick it up from a "the" dispenser on your way back to SoCal. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Since Laytonville is far north of SF, it is on "101", not on "the 101". I grew up in both SoCal (16 years) and NorCal (5 years) so I've used both styles and in fact I still do, depending on where I am.

As you head north on US 101, kindly deposit your "the" in the receptacle provided at the northbound Camp Roberts rest area, north of Paso Robles. From there it will be ferried by maintenance crews to the southbound rest area, where you can pick it up from a "the" dispenser on your way back to SoCal. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
What if you're driving on I-5, I mean "the 5", no, I mean, eh, forget it...