Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leavenworth, WA (LIVE Jul 2018, 16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We charged here last Saturday after also charging in Monroe ... tip for Model 3 owners traveling through the Seattle area .... the cost is HALF PRICE in Leavenworth ($.11/kWh vs $.25/kWh in Monroe or Lynnwood). Here is a screenshot of the bill ...
View attachment 332321
I doubt that's a mistake. Power is reasonably priced in the Seattle area, but it's super cheap in North Central WA. Some of the cheapest electricity in the world.

I doubt that's a mistake. Power is reasonably priced in the Seattle area, but it's super cheap in North Central WA. Some of the cheapest electricity in the world.
Agreed. Not a mistake. Just pointing out it’s cheaper to skip the Seattle area stop if you can make it further East. I guess the closer to the Grand Coulee dam you get the cheaper the electricity is. But not as cheap as my house :)

Agreed. Not a mistake. Just pointing out it’s cheaper to skip the Seattle area stop if you can make it further East. I guess the closer to the Grand Coulee dam you get the cheaper the electricity is. But not as cheap as my house :)

There are several dams on the Columbia and all generate cheap electricity. Most of our electricity comes from the North Bonneville dam (last dam on the Columbia) and residential electricity is $0.08/KWh here. Up the Gorge in White Salmon (across the Columbia from Hood River), I believe it's $0.06/KWh.

There are a number of dams much closer to Leavenworth than Grand Coulee. I believe the Chelan Dam is closest.

Washington has low solar adoption rates even though a large percentage of the population are eco conscious. In part it's because the Puget Sound region gets the lowest number of hours of sunlight of any metro area in the lower 48, but also because electricity from hydro is so cheap.

I’m pretty sure that’s a mistake. Tesla charges by state, not city or country. And power is cheap pretty much everywhere but Seattle proper.

If I’m not mistaken, $0.11/KWh was the price in WA State before Tesla raised prices earlier this year. Some programmer has just missed updating the code for the Leavenworth site.

So I say live it up and enjoy the Supercharging discount for as long as it lasts!

Edit: Here’s the source.

Supercharging

Tiered pricing only applies in states that have laws preventing Tesla charging per KWh (and force them to charge per minute). If they charge you per KWh, it doesn’t matter whether you are filling up at 20 KWh or 120KWh, the price is the same based on how much energy your car absorbed.

Washington is a per KWh state, so tiered pricing does not apply.

Tiered pricing only applies in states that have laws preventing Tesla charging per KWh (and force them to charge per minute). If they charge you per KWh, it doesn’t matter whether you are filling up at 20 KWh or 120KWh, the price is the same based on how much energy your car absorbed.

Washington is a per KWh state, so tiered pricing does not apply.
Agreed. In BC we have the tiered pricing ... .20 per minute for < 52kWh and .40 per minute > 52kWh CAD.
Screenshot 2018-09-06 23.27.07.png

Reactions: Kermee
Now I remember talking to someone at Tsawwassen who explained that they aren't allowed to charge for electricity up there so they charge for "parking" by the minute. I guess that's a BC thing, or maybe it's all of Canada. And of course when they charge for parking it needs to be taxed as well! Brutal.

Yeah. I think all of Canada, regardless of province, is "parking" by the minute. Tesla Canada Supercharging website (using the redirect=no "trick" since I'm accessing the tesla.com website from the U.S.) shows the current rates for each province.

Tier 2 is the higher price per minute above and is when you're charging at 60kW or above. Tier 1 is the lower one when below 60kW, least according to the Canadian website. It might have been 52kW as @shawn_ pointed out but I was inside the mall grabbing coffee after I hooked up to the supercharger.

Funny thing about the rates is, I only know of Superchargers in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and a single one in all of New Brunswick. I don't think the other provinces even have them deployed yet. CHAdeMO seems to be the prevalent Fast DC charging standard so far reading through some of the Model S/X Canadian threads for those not near Tesla superchargers. Hopefully Tesla adds CHAdeMO support for the Model 3 soon...

Anyway, apologize for going off-topic.

Will have to make it up to Leavenworth this weekend just to check out the new Superchargers! Great pictures in this thread! Bonus if it's still $0.11 USD a kWh!

Last edited:
Now I remember talking to someone at Tsawwassen who explained that they aren't allowed to charge for electricity up there so they charge for "parking" by the minute. I guess that's a BC thing, or maybe it's all of Canada. And of course when they charge for parking it needs to be taxed as well! Brutal.

Some US states have this law too. At least in the US states that have it, only energy companies are allowed to charge by the KWh, so all electric charging systems have to charge by the minute instead. Where possible the charging companies all charge by the KWh.

Where possible the charging companies all charge by the KWh.
Well that's not entirely true. I've definitely been charged by length of time at EVGo and Chargepoint public chargers. It's truly maddening because I've had experiences where the chargers don't work as fast as they should so in addition to wasting more of your time, they waste more of your money!

Well that's not entirely true. I've definitely been charged by length of time at EVGo and Chargepoint public chargers. It's truly maddening because I've had experiences where the chargers don't work as fast as they should so in addition to wasting more of your time, they waste more of your money!

I suppose charging by the minute makes more money for some 3rd party charger owners. Looking at your sig you've driven a lot more road miles than I have. My S is three months older than your first S and I have about 1/7 the miles you have total.

There are several dams on the Columbia and all generate cheap electricity. Most of our electricity comes from the North Bonneville dam (last dam on the Columbia) and residential electricity is $0.08/KWh here. Up the Gorge in White Salmon (across the Columbia from Hood River), I believe it's $0.06/KWh.

There are a number of dams much closer to Leavenworth than Grand Coulee. I believe the Chelan Dam is closest.

Washington has low solar adoption rates even though a large percentage of the population are eco conscious. In part it's because the Puget Sound region gets the lowest number of hours of sunlight of any metro area in the lower 48, but also because electricity from hydro is so cheap.
Residential Electric cost in Leavenworth, from Chelan PUD, is < $0.03/kWh sourced almost exclusively from Rocky Reach Dam just north of Wenatchee, yes.

Although I’m hopeful Tesla is not wishing to charge almost an order of magnitude more than electricity cost, I suspect this is indeed a bug to be corrected.

The disproportionately high general WA state SpC cost passed on is perhaps more related to the amortized cost of the much more significant rollout we’ve recently been seeing? ;)

Supercharger rates are going to be higher than the residential rate for an area. They are trying to pay for the facility with it too. In a lot of areas they will have to pay industrial peak rates too, which can be higher than local residential rates.

Supercharger rates are going to be higher than the residential rate for an area. They are trying to pay for the facility with it too. In a lot of areas they will have to pay industrial peak rates too, which can be higher than local residential rates.
Chelan PUD is still pretty flat between residential and commercial as they have/had lot of excess to sell (primarily to PSE). This is changing with the large uptake of crypto currency mining (modulo recent fluctuations) with, iirc, PUD looking more toward tiered industrial to offset additional infrastructure demands.
More at: This Is What Happens When Bitcoin Miners Take Over Your Town and Bitcoin backlash as ‘miners’ suck up electricity, stress power grids in Central Washington

We’re not disagreeing, hence the ‘disproportionate’ (implicit was to other states) if you compare industrial demand rates in WA by provider vs other states there must be some other reason. My suspicion is this is to help infrastructure ramp or offsetting other states by amortizing leveraging WA lower rates or both :)

Washington was home for the aluminum smelting industry for quite a while after the dams were built for the same reason the crypto currency miners are moving in. The aluminum industry may have been able to lobby the state's rate setters to keep demand charges low and its become a thing nobody has thought about in years. Just speculating though.

Reactions: MikeBur