Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leeds, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBA2DBD7-B7DC-46D6-B5C3-0B88818D35A7.jpeg
BC584D47-AC77-482B-A4A4-D296F87281DA.jpeg

More activity this morning, looks like the power transformer is being placed and wired up!

Hi there! Have you happened to check the status of this station since this comment? Just curious if it’s up and running now. We’re making a trip and was curious!
Just left there and they were turned on. Alabama Power was there and the guy said they are good to go. Plugged in and got some charge. Only 34Kw but I was at about 70% charge.

I charged here for the first time, on a Saturday around noon. Only one other car charging, but there were oversized vehicles parked almost the entire length of the charging area. We had to squeeze in behind an RV towing an SUV. Buc-ee's is a big place with a lot of parking, but there are so many people here on the weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
FYI the CCS stations planned for this site (per ADECA grant last year) have started going in. Construction was spotted a few days ago, next to the existing Tesla stations. I'm surprised to see that this is an Electrify America install, per the labeling on the crates that arrived, since they haven't indicated any plans to expand in this area and weren't mentioned in the ADECA announcement. But it's not the first time we've seen EA and Tesla be colocated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirtman16
FYI the CCS stations planned for this site (per ADECA grant last year) have started going in. Construction was spotted a few days ago, next to the existing Tesla stations. I'm surprised to see that this is an Electrify America install, per the labeling on the crates that arrived, since they haven't indicated any plans to expand in this area and weren't mentioned in the ADECA announcement. But it's not the first time we've seen EA and Tesla be colocated.

That's excellent. Hopefully this will be their new stations that just went in near the Mercedes plant. Supposedly they are much more reliable.

I think there's a decent chance we may see some at the new Bucee's going in at Athens as well, and/or Superchargers.

Reactions: ChrisC
I've been hesitant to write this for I wasn't sure of what I had heard. Maybe it now makes some sense.

On November 21, 2022, I stopped at this Supercharger in Leeds and spotted the many Tesla chargers. Behind them was some ongoing construction, so I approached a worker and asked what was happening. He replied that the crew was installing more Tesla superchargers. I pointed to the adjacent Tesla chargers, and he confirmed with a "Yep, like those." At the time, it didn't make sense to me due to the already high number of existing (and vacant) Tesla chargers. Also, in a nearby area, I had earlier spotted some (four?) Electrify America(?) cabinets to be installed somewhere. But then again, the guy had said "Tesla superchargers"!

I recently watched this 14-minute YouTube and now think that this superfluous Tesla construction may be part of a strategy of opening up part of (not all of) the Tesla charging network to non-Tesla EVs. This may, among others things, whet the appetite of non-Tesla EVs owners.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Do they not put both connectors on one pedestal?
That was Tesla's original solution in the EU but it's far from optimal for different charge port locations on various EV's. Until a charge port placement location is standardized I think the charge port placement necessitates a significantly longer charge cable to reach every EV charge port placement. I think you may be on to something with your thought that Tesla is anticipating growing the Supercharger network to other manufacturers with the added burden of accommodating different charge port placements.

Also, in a nearby area, I had earlier spotted some (four?) Electrify America(?) cabinets to be installed somewhere. But then again, the guy had said "Tesla superchargers"!

The guy was likely wrong. Contractors do this All The Time lately, thinking "Tesla" by default any time a big EV charging site is going in. I have seen utility transformers for Electrify America installs show up with "Tesla" scrawled on them :)

As discussed above, there is a separate CCS site going in there at the Bucee's Leeds. The crates that showed up a few weeks ago said "Electrify America" on them, and the dispensers are Signet models that EA has used for years. What's really confusing (as of just the last few days) is that the cabinet configuration is not like any EA install I've ever seen, and I have a seen a LOT. Normally I'd stomp out any argument with a firm "no it's EA" but this cabinet config is weird. Anyway we should know really soon. We are tracking the progress of that site, the non-Tesla CCS part of it, here, including plenty of photos:

Reactions: craigery