Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lexington, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm checking this daily to see the first picture of a car charging there. I am about to drive past, but don't want to stop if they not ready yet.

Also I would realy like something on the i40 between greensboro and hickory. In the Winston Salem area would be great. My drive is south charlote -> WS then I have to go to greensboro to supercharge, back to WS and then to south charlotte. Would love to supercharge in WS

A Winston supercharger makes sense. It’s a good sized city and it’s right on a major interstate. That said...I wouldn’t mind it being a little bit east over in Kernersville...but that might be too close to the GSO one.

20201212_060816.jpg
Site is on in car map now
20201212_054347.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped here over the weekend. It's kind of in an odd spot. I get they are going by existing sheetz installs but it's not really on normal I-85 and either requires a detour up business 85 or taking business 85 in lieu of regular 85.

Stopped here over the weekend. It's kind of in an odd spot. I get they are going by existing sheetz installs but it's not really on normal I-85 and either requires a detour up business 85 or taking business 85 in lieu of regular 85.

Yes, it was kinda weird that it was not on the i85, but works well for me. Waxhaw with 100% SOC -> Lexington SC (10 minutes) -> Winston Salem -> Kernersville -> back to Lexington (15-20 min) -> Waxhaw (10% SOC)

Changed our need for an extra stop going to Greensborough because we used to do Waxhaw (South Charlotte) -> Kernersville -> SC Greensborough (50 min) to 100% SOC -> Kernersville -> Waxhaw (10% SOC)

This is with a M3 SR+ that only gets reported 170 miles at 80% SOC and sucks during cold days. Only travelling at 75mph

Reactions: mikes_fsd and SigNC

I think the "they" in your post is not Tesla, but rather Sheetz themselves. I'm pretty sure Sheetz themselves are driving the expansion we are seeing at Sheetz outlets, and Tesla is merely following along. Since there is not a Sheetz directly on 85 in Lexington, you probably won't see a Supercharger site unless a different outlet comes forward with a proposal to Tesla. Perhaps Sheetz will eventually put one in in Salisbury, which would cut the I-85 gap (without significant diversion) to 40 miles to Archdale and 30 miles to Mallard Creek (Charlotte).

Reactions: MarcoRP
I think the "they" in your post is not Tesla, but rather Sheetz themselves. I'm pretty sure Sheetz themselves are driving the expansion we are seeing at Sheetz outlets, and Tesla is merely following along. Since there is not a Sheetz directly on 85 in Lexington, you probably won't see a Supercharger site unless a different outlet comes forward with a proposal to Tesla. Perhaps Sheetz will eventually put one in in Salisbury, which would cut the I-85 gap (without significant diversion) to 40 miles to Archdale and 30 miles to Mallard Creek (Charlotte).

Right, i get that. It was clarified in another thread that tesla is still doing all the legwork here it's just a corp agreement at the sheetz level and them OKing the plans tesla comes up with. Either way, i'm happy there is a charger now in lexington.

Right, i get that. It was clarified in another thread that tesla is still doing all the legwork here it's just a corp agreement at the sheetz level and them OKing the plans tesla comes up with. Either way, i'm happy there is a charger now in lexington.

Actually I think it's probably Sheetz that is doing the planning here, not Tesla. At least I hope this is the case because it makes sense that Sheetz would have more boots on the ground info on travel corridors and which of their outlets get the highest traffic. Tesla is transforming from having to do the legwork and planning to having outlets (Wawa, Sheetz, etc.) come to them with proposals. Hopefully this will snowball into other competing outlets deciding that they need to step up their EV game and start bidding on getting to be chosen by Tesla to host the Supercharger at each interstate exit (or other busy crossroads). This transfers more of the burden to the host. I have to believe that is what's really going on behind the scenes.

I think tesla can tell real time where the demand is as they can see where every car goes. Now, granted there is a little bit of a chicken and egg factor but I think it's pretty evident there is al of of traffic on 40/85 between raleigh and charlotte. Would be nice if they could get quicktrip in on the game as sheetz installs really fall off as you get closer to charlotte.

Reactions: pinke2323
Would love to have a SC site in Salisbury, but I don’t see the driving factors (heh, heh). Salisbury is less than 55 miles between Charlotte and the Triad both of which are covered fairly well, and now we also have Lexington 20 miles away despite the detour to Business I-85. We in Salisbury do have several public L2 sites at least two of which are free, at least two L3 CHAdeMO sites, and one Tesla destination charging site so I’m not expecting further build out. Hope I’m wrong. The Salisbury Sheetz station is indeed right off I-85 and very conveniently located a short walk to the ever-important ABC Store and a good breakfast sit-down restaurant.

Stopped here on the way back from VA today. Chose this one instead of Archdale as it was super packed per Tesla nav and I didn’t want to risk having to wait. The Lexington one really isn’t much of a detour off I-85 IMO, maybe 5 mins if that. Also I only saw 1 Tesla show up in the 20+ min I was there. Def a good option if Archdale is packed. Would be good to get another SC on I-85 north of Charlotte, perhaps Concord area. Pulled 246 kW.

9AB131F3-7C95-4AE1-8A21-4C905826E124.jpeg

1DAF99BC-09AE-40B4-B270-7197DE51BEBC.jpeg