Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln City, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know talking about food is probably off-topic, but in addition to debani's excellent suggestions I have to quickly plug my personal fave in Newport- Local Ocean across the street from the fishing boat docks. If you are a chowderhead (New England style), there are several Mo's locations strung along the coast- I like the slumgullion, which is clam chowder with a generous amount of pink shrimp added. Message me for more Newport options. OK. Done.
Agreed, Local Ocean is great. Now that I think about it, Saffron Salmon also on the bay front though a little spendy. Thanks, Otter!

Either beat them to work this morning or they took a well-deserved day off, leaving very tidy worksite.
LC Super 7-31-16.jpg

Looking at the previously posted pictures, and comparing them to Google Maps views, I've decided that the red outlined area in this image is the probable location of these news Supercharger stations.

Terrific photo analysis! You would only have to move your red box a minuscule three parking spaces to the east to have it even more precisely nailed. Honestly, there was no way to pick up that tiny detail from our pictures:). The closest intersection with traffic signals, which is the main access for the outlet mall, is one block north of the street closest to the site. Using the next street south, closest to the SC site, is more direct and easy for northbound travel. In heavy summer daytime traffic, ingress and egress for southbound travel can take some patience. Fortunately, there's a refuge lane, and I find that folks often let you through to it when traffic backs up at the light.

Terrific photo analysis! You would only have to move your red box a minuscule three parking spaces to the east to have it even more precisely nailed. Honestly, there was no way to pick up that tiny detail from our pictures:). The closest intersection with traffic signals, which is the main access for the outlet mall, is one block north of the street closest to the site. Using the next street south, closest to the SC site, is more direct and easy for northbound travel. In heavy summer daytime traffic, ingress and egress for southbound travel can take some patience. Fortunately, there's a refuge lane, and I find that folks often let you through to it when traffic backs up at the light.

I'll have a chance to see and experience all this for myself later today! I'm spending the next couple of days in and around the Lincoln City area. I'm also hoping to visit some of the eating establishments that have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks for the help!

I know talking about food is probably off-topic, but in addition to debani's excellent suggestions I have to quickly plug my personal fave in Newport- Local Ocean across the street from the fishing boat docks. If you are a chowderhead (New England style), there are several Mo's locations strung along the coast- I like the slumgullion, which is clam chowder with a generous amount of pink shrimp added. Message me for more Newport options. OK. Done.

Totally not off-topic. Aside from tracking the construction process, I think it would be awesome if these Supercharger threads to become resources for people planning trips to figure out where to go eat, use the restroom, shop, etc.. I say keep up the good work!

Reactions: TaoJones
An update on the progress: I arrived in L. City about 4:30pm, and stopped by the site and talked with one of the workers, who I noticed was working on making wiring connections at one of the stations. I joked with him about how I had traveled down from Seattle specifically to use this supercharger. :) I asked him if he had an ETA on its completion; he said he thought it might be operational by the end of this week!

I also asked if the crew was getting enough coffee and treats, and he laughed and said they were. :)

Good resource. I have largely abandoned the official Tesla forums as they're difficult to use and frequently devolve into name calling. Unlike here where the software is easy to use. We have our fair share of devolution but we also have good moderators. ;)

Glad you liked it - it's extremely helpful for new owners especially.

While not as easily searchable, nor as feature-rich, the other site rarely needs the level of moderation found here. Interesting, as every owner has access thereto.

I suspect both sites, along with the new Model 3 discussion forums site, will get more than sufficient traffic in, oh, about 18 months :). I only wish I could read Mandarin and a bit of Dutch.

Reactions: Lyon
Stopped by today. In addition to the three men on the "civil" crew, there were electricians wiring up the pedestals and chargers. No enclosure fencing yet. I did not talk to the crew today (they were busy as usual) but I did a little snooping by other means. I overheard that we'll see stall paving happen on Friday. From a chat with a utility guy elsewhere in town, it sounds like Pacific Power will take delivery of the transformer later this week. Installation of that transformer may occur next week. Then comes local inspection and Tesla testing/certification.

My guess is that it could be open by mid-August, certainly by late August.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian and Lyon
Stopped by on my way to PDX today. I had hoped that the location was going to be at an edge of the ground floor of their two-level parking garage, which is never full and would have provided shade and weather shelter, in addition to lower chances of being ICEd. But I was told that it will be outside, just west of their RV parking, which makes sense when I look at the available power supply and ease/expense/disruption of installing another transformer. And (crucially) their parking garage is closed at night, for security reasons. My guess is that opening the garage for 24 hour access would add considerable operating expense for the property owner (now independent rather than Tanger).

The site indicated to me is accessible 24/7 and is much more conveniently located for in/out, restrooms and mall access, which unfortunately results in heavy parking pressure during business hours. But it is also close to their security office, which regularly patrols that area, and they reportedly plan to use cones to mark the stalls. (Cones seem to be working reasonably well at the Springfield OR site.) No word as to whether the stalls will be pull-in or back-in. I have seen other mall parking installations where the stalls were pull-in and that seemed to cut down on ICEing considerably.

The local utility is Pacific Power, same as in Bend. As I watched the Bend forum posts last month, it appeared that the transformer arrived 1-2 weeks after the rest of the site was installed and landscaped. How much of that delay might have been from less-than-optimal coordination between the contractor and the utility, vs. how much was just the typical time lag between a utility ordering and receiving a transformer, I have no idea. Around the country, the arrival of the transformer seems to be a common rate-limiting step!

I lack emupilot's skills at querying the permit database, so I don't know if the permit has been approved yet.
Oregon, if you did not know just has a very Strict iceing law. Plus, if your not plugged in and charging your in violation. No special signage required.

As of this evening: Enclosure complete. Landscaping done. Pavement sealed. Landscaping appears complete. Transformer in place, no audible hum. I could not see a meter or meter base anywhere, but I suspect it is mounted on the north end of the distribution center, which I could not see from either enclosure door. (And I did not feel good about to trespassing further.)

Things are moving right along!

IMG_4371.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg

For those who have seen this site, how is it for an X towing a trailer? From the pictures it looked like the first space in the south(?) could possibly accommodate an X with trailer without blocking other stalls, unless that is a road that cannot be blocked. I ask because we are bringing our X and trailer up the Oregon Coast in two weeks and this would be a good place for us to charge.
In other news, EV-lutioin and Otter mentioned the Eureka supercharger earlier in the thread, and it will be completed in the next week or so. Construction on the Crescent City supercharger has commenced.

For those who have seen this site, how is it for an X towing a trailer? From the pictures it looked like the first space in the south(?) could possibly accommodate an X with trailer without blocking other stalls, unless that is a road that cannot be blocked. I ask because we are bringing our X and trailer up the Oregon Coast in two weeks and this would be a good place for us to charge.
In other news, EV-lutioin and Otter mentioned the Eureka supercharger earlier in the thread, and it will be completed in the next week or so. Construction on the Crescent City supercharger has commenced.
Jim, how long is your Airstream? 21' 8"? More specifically, what's the distance from your X charge port to the rear of your trailer bumper?

It sounds like you may be thinking of parking parallel to the row of charging stations, which I agree would be the only feasible option in this location. Parking your X nose-in would block the aisle with your trailer. I assume your X has its charge port on the driver side? If it were me, I'd park with my trailer alongside the enclosure, with my charge port alongside the charging station closest to the enclosure. The nose of your X would only block the stall you are using and the stall next to that. It's not as if all 8 stalls are likely to be swarmed. (Or at least not before Model 3 arrives.) There is some room (about two parking spaces worth) beyond the stall the other end, before the access from the street, but I can't imagine that the charging cable would reach around the rear of your X. And there will probably be ICE cars parked in those spots that your trailer would block.

I'll be up there in the next few days. I'd be happy to take my long measuring tape with me. They might even have it striped by then, so I can see how close the adjacent ICE parking will be. We haul an Airstream around, too- but with an old diesel pickup (B99 biodiesel whenever possible). More than a little jealous of your rig.;)

Jim, how long is your Airstream? 21' 8"? More specifically, what's the distance from your X charge port to the rear of your trailer bumper?

It sounds like you may be thinking of parking parallel to the row of charging stations, which I agree would be the only feasible option in this location. Parking your X nose-in would block the aisle with your trailer. I assume your X has its charge port on the driver side? If it were me, I'd park with my trailer alongside the enclosure, with my charge port alongside the charging station closest to the enclosure. The nose of your X would only block the stall you are using and the stall next to that. It's not as if all 8 stalls are likely to be swarmed. (Or at least not before Model 3 arrives.) There is some room (about two parking spaces worth) beyond the stall the other end, before the access from the street, but I can't imagine that the charging cable would reach around the rear of your X. And there will probably be ICE cars parked in those spots that your trailer would block.

I'll be up there in the next few days. I'd be happy to take my long measuring tape with me. They might even have it striped by then, so I can see how close the adjacent ICE parking will be. We haul an Airstream around, too- but with an old diesel pickup (B99 biodiesel whenever possible). More than a little jealous of your rig.;)

Here is a pic of the new Napa supercharger with our X and Airstream 22ft. Bambi Sport in tow (just after we picked the airstream up in the Bay Area)
DSC_0133.jpg
. It seems like it is the same configuration, and we charged there exactly as you described, otter, and the charging cables do not reach around the X, so it looks like that one driver side first stall is the one. Of course, I hope to get super fast at hitching and unhitching, but it is so much more convenient not to unhitch.

• Informative
Reactions: Lyon and goneskiian
Here is a pic of the new Napa supercharger with our X and Airstream 22ft. Bambi Sport in tow (just after we picked the airstream up in the Bay Area)View attachment 188979 . It seems like it is the same configuration, and we charged there exactly as you described, otter, and the charging cables do not reach around the X, so it looks like that one driver side first stall is the one. Of course, I hope to get super fast at hitching and unhitching, but it is so much more convenient not to unhitch.
I hear you about the unhitching and re-hitching! Don't think you'll have to at Lincoln City, although there are a bunch of RV parking spots next to the SC. And we love being able to unhitch at our campsite and just drive our vehicle wherever we want.

I can say that hitching back up just keeps getting easier. And we've learned some useful tips from our compadres. I will send you a profile post with my email.

Looks like I guessed wrong about how much room the X takes up in front of the stall. It looks like a car could get in and out of the stall next to the one you're using without too much difficulty.