Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln, NE - West O Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progress! Chargers have been installed.
F1A45313-BCBE-4A75-8D62-B37494162DC2.jpeg

Lots of change at this site. They are very close to opening. The first set of photos were taken 11/14/22. It is difficult to get photos because it’s a small parking lot at a busy fast food restaurant. Next set of photos taken 11/22/22. All construction equipment removed & paving completed. There was a four person crew with three vehicles & all were working on the green transformer. Notice one worker carrying several small boxes.
It’s not a trailer friendly site. The other Lincoln site is located in a Hy-Vee parking lot with space to disconnect a trailer. That one’s a version 2 but much more accessible.
This one is close to downtown Lincoln.
E1822B93-1639-4EF6-A187-A5735D288D29.jpeg
S
7D668940-A886-4693-B3CB-9469B8C4D76A.jpeg
f
AE16DBA8-0CDC-436A-BCCE-F2E123E549FC.jpeg
3CDD776A-868A-4972-AA4D-8A4457EE0700.jpeg
E1822B93-1639-4EF6-A187-A5735D288D29.jpeg
EEEB9B94-A965-4718-AA5D-7CD726461221.jpeg
41F7367B-463A-4321-9FA8-254DF199B7C5.jpeg
4F749E71-E73D-4D64-8B34-8E8C2E26D28D.jpeg
4F749E71-E73D-4D64-8B34-8E8C2E26D28D.jpeg

Attachments

• 81EEC51A-FAA1-4ABB-8185-04DB9F941DA8.jpeg
    81EEC51A-FAA1-4ABB-8185-04DB9F941DA8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Hard to believe it was a conduit sizing issue this late in the installation. Could be a flood plain issue. Chargers do not appear to be installed at the correct elevation above finished grade per the approved plans. Having said that, it looks like it would not be possible to install them any higher. Hopefully not a dead-end installation.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Hard to believe it was a conduit sizing issue this late in the installation. Could be a flood plain issue. Chargers do not appear to be installed at the correct elevation above finished grade per the approved plans. Having said that, it looks like it would not be possible to install them any higher. Hopefully not a dead-end installation.
Interesting suggestion about the flood plain. I've seen at least one Supercharger (outside Houston) that had the equipment racks on a raised platform about 6 feet above the ground. I assume this was because of the likelihood of flooding there. The parking spaces and stalls, were, of course, at ground level.
However, supposedly, currently at this Lincoln site, the charging equipment and the transformer boxes are still intact and only the stalls have been removed and thrown in a dumpster.
It will be interesting to see if someone comes by and picks up the charging equipment.
Maybe they've found a nearby site that is more convenient to I-80. This one is a couple of miles out of the way. Perhaps something near the airport?
This is definitely an interesting mystery.

Interesting suggestion about the flood plain. I've seen at least one Supercharger (outside Houston) that had the equipment racks on a raised platform about 6 feet above the ground. I assume this was because of the likelihood of flooding there. The parking spaces and stalls, were, of course, at ground level.
However, supposedly, currently at this Lincoln site, the charging equipment and the transformer boxes are still intact and only the stalls have been removed and thrown in a dumpster.
It will be interesting to see if someone comes by and picks up the charging equipment.
Maybe they've found a nearby site that is more convenient to I-80. This one is a couple of miles out of the way. Perhaps something near the airport?
This is definitely an interesting mystery.
Going off of that assumption, looking at the Permit request, this condition was added:

Elevation Certificate Required
Will need a “finished construction” elevation certificate prior to final inspection.(BFE = 1152.2 88 navd) The elevation certificate needs to clarify in addition to base of cabinets, that the outlet connections are elevated one foot above the BFE.
Applied | Notice | 02/14/2022

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Good news. I got a witness report that new forms are being setup for construction. This also confirms a 4th-hand rumor I heard that the contractor made a mistake and is redoing the station.
Given that Tesla has very strict and thorough specifications in addition to any municipal restrictions for Supercharger builds, I suppose this may not be too surprising if a low-bidder tried to take a shortcut or made a mistake.
It does seem like the tear-down may only be a setback and we'll have another Supercharger site in Lincoln soon.
Go Tesla!

I'm still stuck on "the stalls have been thrown in a dumpster." Stupid waste of equipment. It would have been worth it to drive out and do a midnight dumpster dive to grab one of those so I could SuperCharge at home instead of my dumb slow L2 setup. Just a simple request to get ComEd to come out and install a couple thousand amp / 800v service at the house. Then I could fully charge up while my coffee is heating in the microwave. :D

I'm still stuck on "the stalls have been thrown in a dumpster." Stupid waste of equipment. It would have been worth it to drive out and do a midnight dumpster dive to grab one of those so I could SuperCharge at home instead of my dumb slow L2 setup. Just a simple request to get ComEd to come out and install a couple thousand amp / 800v service at the house. Then I could fully charge up while my coffee is heating in the microwave. :D
If they just threw cement, stations, and conduit and maybe cable in the dumpster it wouldn't be such a big deal. Those things wouldn't be worth much to you. I heard that the chargers, themselves (the big white cabinets), were left intact.
Remember that there isn't much in each stall but a big thick cable, a couple of posts, and a plastic facade with a lighted "TESLA" sign at the top. All the expensive stuff in Tesla Superchargers is in the white cabinets, usually within a fenced-in enclosure. I suspect this is why Tesla Superchargers usually work and are so much cheaper while other systems are trouble prone and expensively duplicate a lot of materials when they try to have everything in a decorative, box for each stall. Tesla started out assuming many stalls per site while the rest assumed only 1 or 2 and designed their systems for economy of scale.

You know I was kidding, right? :) Yes, I meant the big white lit TESLA upright thing that the cable and handles hang off of. I wonder what ComEd would really tell me if I genuinely asked for mega power to my house for such a thing? o_O I know, that for real, some have actually tried to do this at their residences or small business. The payoff would probably be what I have always termed "net never."

You know I was kidding, right? :) Yes, I meant the big white lit TESLA upright thing that the cable and handles hang off of. I wonder what ComEd would really tell me if I genuinely asked for mega power to my house for such a thing? o_O I know, that for real, some have actually tried to do this at their residences or small business. The payoff would probably be what I have always termed "net never."
Would be cool to have one of those pedestals in my garage hooked up to my tesla wall charger.

Reactions: jordanX