Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting - relatively close to Council Bluffs IA - compared to other supercharger gaps in the area. But I guess it depends on how far away the next viable location on I-80 is.
If you are coming from the south Lincoln makes a lot of sense because driving to Council Bluffs and back to Lincoln adds 100 miles to the trip, but one between Salina and Lincoln (Belleville or Hebron) would be even better.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
If you are coming from the south Lincoln makes a lot of sense because driving to Council Bluffs and back to Lincoln adds 100 miles to the trip, but one between Salina and Lincoln (Belleville or Hebron) would be even better.

I'm certain that Tesla looks at all travel, rather than just along one Interstate at a time. Council Bluffs covers I-80 and I-29 travel, but Lincoln to Kansas City, would be via Nebraska City, NE rather than up to Council Bluffs, IA/Omaha, NE, so Lincoln makes sense.

Lincoln to West Des Moines is 182 miles. I'm guessing that's a pretty flat stretch so in decent conditions Council Bluffs would be able to be skipped.

Then there's
Council Bluffs to Sioux City is about 100 miles.
Lincoln to Sioux City is also about 160 miles and ideally you wouldn't divert to Council Bluffs.

Lincoln, NE to Kansas City is about 200 miles.
KC to Council Bluffs is about 180 miles.

So, if Tesla wants Lincoln, NE my suggestion is that as well as working on I-80, they have an eye on Sioux City, NE and St Joseph, MO for I-29.

I wonder if these are anything concrete?

They Planning Commission did not include the PowerPoint with the public documents.

Below are the public documents from the City of Lincoln, Nebraska:

Attachments

• AA16055_-_APPLICATION_FORM.PDF.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 126
  • AA16055_-_APPLICATION_LETTER.PDF.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 105
  • AA16055_-_AUTHORIZATION_LETTER.PDF.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 115
  • AA16055_-_NE001_LINCOLN__SITE_PLAN.PDF.pdf
    824.2 KB · Views: 109
  • ListServ_MI+Health+Link+Letter+to+Providers+04082015(1).pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
@Joel Per our conversation, I noticed one of the documents you uploaded had some information that I thought might not be public record. I contacted the planner in Lincoln, Andrew Thierolf, and he told me that all documents are public record and that the applicant is warned of this when submitting information that was previously considered confidential.

With that being said, that means that it's now public information where the other cities in Nebraska will be located. From the public document, it looks like after Lincoln, they'll add chargers in Kearney, North Platte and Ogallala. It also looks like I-76 in Colorado will get one in Fort Morgan instead of Sterling (as I had speculated). It looks like there will also be one on I-25 in Thornton, CO and maybe one up in Wheatland, WY as well.

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel and Chuq
Interesting. It definitely looks like they are reducing the spacing. They must be planning for battery degradation, wind/weather, etc. I would have thought they would target Julesburg, CO (I-80 & I-76 intersection) and then work their way out from there. That would have required something at Brush or Fort Morgan, CO, then Gothenburg/Cozad (not North Platt which intersects with a larger N-S highway), and finally York (N-S highway to Salida, KS). It's all good. Having spent time trying to convince local businesses to allow me to donate a Level 2 station, I can tell you there are WAY more potentially good sites than there are businesses willing to give up parking spaces to EVs.:(

Interesting. It definitely looks like they are reducing the spacing. They must be planning for battery degradation, wind/weather, etc....

They also have to account for older 60kw Model Ss, new potentially shorter range Model 3s, and of course Model Xs towing. I'd imagine we'll see them begin to fill in some of the larger gaps in the map pretty soon.

I think that fact that Hy-Vee being part of this is huge. They have hundreds of grocery store locations and GAS STATIONS around the Midwest. It seems like they have had a big push for charging stations.

Tesla Hy-Vee
Peru IL
West Des Moines IA
Lincoln NE

ChargePoint Hy-Vee
Madison WI
Lawrence KS
Urbandale IS
Fairfield IL
Rochester MN ?

Last edited:
I think that fact that Hy-Vee being part of this is huge. They have hundreds of grocery store locations and GAS STATIONS around the Midwest.

A grocery store is a perfect location as I normally spend 30-45 minutes in there every 5-7 days.

Don't forget about the partnership with Ruby Tuesday as well. In Kearney, for example, the Ruby Tuesday is right off I-80 but the Hy-Vee is all the way on the north end of town, over 4 miles north of I-80. :eek:

I think that fact that Hy-Vee being part of this is huge. They have hundreds of grocery store locations and GAS STATIONS around the Midwest. It seems like they have had a big push for charging stations.

Tesla Hy-Vee
Peru IL
West Des Moines IA
Lincoln NE

ChargePoint Hy-Vee
Madison WI
Lawrence KS
Urbandale IS
Fairfield IL
Rochester MN ?

The one under construction in Coralville, IA is also a Hy-Vee.

Hy-Vee is really a pretty great match-up. Besides being a nice, clean 24hr grocery store, many now have a decent full service restaurant with anything from Steaks to Sushi. They also usually have some nice craft beers on tap.

@Joel Per our conversation, I noticed one of the documents you uploaded had some information that I thought might not be public record. I contacted the planner in Lincoln, Andrew Thierolf, and he told me that all documents are public record and that the applicant is warned of this when submitting information that was previously considered confidential.

With that being said, that means that it's now public information where the other cities in Nebraska will be located. From the public document, it looks like after Lincoln, they'll add chargers in Kearney, North Platte and Ogallala. It also looks like I-76 in Colorado will get one in Fort Morgan instead of Sterling (as I had speculated). It looks like there will also be one on I-25 in Thornton, CO and maybe one up in Wheatland, WY as well.
That is juicy info and Nebraska nearly covered interstate-wise, though the western side of I-80 still needs love (Sidney?). Poor AR and AK, though!

KC to Council Bluffs is about 180 miles.

Realize the SCs in Council Bluff and Independence (KC) are 199 to 200 miles apart, not 180. I have an 85 and in terrible weather, I needed 3 additional hours of L2 charging (St Joe, NE City) to make it, driving slowly (fully loaded car, ice build up on car, all traffic slowed). And the hills going into KC are draining. Since the difficult trip mentioned above, I have gotten a CHAdeMO adapter, and use the free L3 charging at a HyVee in St. Joe. Had I had the CHAdeMO, we would have stopped in St Joe for dinner and never sat waiting for energy.

Of course, none of what I just said has much to do with Lincoln. I am very glad to see a SC there, though I may never use it, living only about 40 mi from there. I agree that there may not need to be one for some reasons in Lincoln, but it seems like a good idea to me because of all the potential traffic coming from the surrounding area. AND I would like to drive to Salina from West Omaha, which is about 240 miles. I can make that in good weather, but I would use the Lincoln SC for that trip to be more assured. So there are routes, as mentioned above, one being from Omaha to Salina, that would use a Lincoln SC. (The Model S trip navigation route takes me east to the Council Bluffs SC, down to Topeka, and over to Salina. If the weather is nice, I will drive more directly there, with no SCs or Level 3s between here and there.)

And getting I-80 on it's way to being completed is great news.

Thanks for that info - very useful!

For the non locals who would like a visual aide (green dots are those mentioned in @MorrisonHiker's post)

MiExwgy.png

very excited that NE is getting on the map (SC). As mentioned in several posts, Lincoln was is a surprise for a charger but it would obviously be of use for N-S travelers. And it does fill the 190 mile gap between Council Bluffs and Kearney. Who knows where additional sites will be in 2017 and beyond. Grand Island may eventually be a site.

very excited that NE is getting on the map (SC). As mentioned in several posts, Lincoln was is a surprise for a charger but it would obviously be of use for N-S travelers. And it does fill the 190 mile gap between Council Bluffs and Kearney. Who knows where additional sites will be in 2017 and beyond. Grand Island may eventually be a site.
My father lives in Kearney and was going through the process of getting estimates for installing a 14-50 outlet for me. I told him to hold off for a bit as it looks like I'd be able to supercharge there instead. :p

My father lives in Kearney and was going through the process of getting estimates for installing a 14-50 outlet for me. I told him to hold off for a bit as it looks like I'd be able to supercharge there instead. :p
If you are staying overnight at your Dad's, then the 14-50 will be more convenient than the Supercharger.

Reactions: jvonbokel and Chuq