Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article says that Hy-Vee plans to open 7 more Superchargers. So I'm guessing that most of the ones on the 2017 map in this area will be at Hy-Vees.
Plus EV: do you mean around Lincoln or around your location, Seattle?
If you are meaning around Lincoln, I can't imagine any more SupCs around here for a while. It would be nice to have more on I-29 because of the distances leaving Council Bluffs going north and south. I can make it both ways, but in bad/cold weather it is tricky and I have a CHAdeMO to make it easier to travel south. But I was curious what you were thinking...

I used to live in Lincoln not far from that site. Though Lincoln isn't a big city, there will surely be enough locals to clog the site. What was Tesla thinking by placing it right in the city, albeit in the far North area? There are lots of more rural areas nearby.

I used to live in Lincoln not far from that site. Though Lincoln isn't a big city, there will surely be enough locals to clog the site. What was Tesla thinking by placing it right in the city, albeit in the far North area? There are lots of more rural areas nearby.
I'm pretty sure they have a really good deal with Hy-Vee. If you are going on I-80, it's very close. Admittedly, it's kind of out of the way when I travel to Lincoln as I am coming from the south, but then I'd like one around Hebron--about half way between Salina and Lincoln. When staying in Lincoln, destination charging at the WunderRoost B&B works fine, so I doubt I would need to use the Lincoln SC all that often. (Charing while you sleep is better than charging during the driving time.)

Plus EV: do you mean around Lincoln or around your location, Seattle?
If you are meaning around Lincoln, I can't imagine any more SupCs around here for a while. It would be nice to have more on I-29 because of the distances leaving Council Bluffs going north and south. I can make it both ways, but in bad/cold weather it is tricky and I have a CHAdeMO to make it easier to travel south. But I was curious what you were thinking...

I was referring to the article which most certainly is referring to HyVees in the Midwest. We do not have HyVees in Seattle :)

Actually not that many Teslas here. And all of us only charge at home unless there is some last minute trip.

Reactions: wcfinvader
I think the Lincoln location is in a satisfactory place. It is not as convenient as some sites to the interstate, but it does have amenities nearby that are easily accessible. Like all placements of SC's, we could debate the site locations. It will be a few years before the area is saturated with Tesla's. At this point, we are still on cloud-9 just having it.
Personally, I would have spaced the SC's in different cities than where they ended up. But again, everyone has an opinion. Mine doesn't count much either.

Reactions: CSFTN
I travelled and stayed a few nights in Lincoln. The charger was perfect situated for me, with lots of excellent amenities within walking distance. Several locals doing their grocery run would stop and ask about the Teslas ("can they really drive themselves?"). Didn't see more than 3 other Teslas any time I was there.

Was able to charge here and reach Salina, KS.

Have experienced extremely slow charging rates at several charging stations at Lincoln supercharger site. No other Tesla's around at the time of charging, so no competition for power. Happened once on May 27, 2018, and again on June 23, 2018. Changed from one charging station to another, with same slow charging result. It's a long way from Lincoln to Salina, KS, and need to have a full charge. With slow charge rates, it takes forever to charge at Lincoln. Anyone else experiencing this type of problem at the Lincoln site?

Have experienced extremely slow charging rates at several charging stations at Lincoln supercharger site. No other Tesla's around at the time of charging, so no competition for power. Happened once on May 27, 2018, and again on June 23, 2018. Changed from one charging station to another, with same slow charging result. It's a long way from Lincoln to Salina, KS, and need to have a full charge. With slow charge rates, it takes forever to charge at Lincoln. Anyone else experiencing this type of problem at the Lincoln site?
I had the same issue back in April. I thought I mentioned it in this thread, but I guess I forgot to post. Charge rate would spike up to 100kW or something similar and then crash back down to something really low like 30kW. I tried every cabinet and got the same result every time. The only thing that sped it up a little was unplugging and plugging back in after the crash so I'd get a few minutes of that peak charge rate and then rinse and repeat.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Most of the time I stay at WunderRoost B&B in Roca, and charge up there overnight, only using the SC for topping up. So I haven't noticed any slow charging. The Hy-Vee SCs are different than other SCs in that HyVee is paying for the electricity rather than Tesla, so I suspect slow charging has to do with how much over budget HyVee is for Tesla electricity that month.

Another SC between Lincoln and Selina would make a really big difference. Hebron or Belleville would be ideal locations because it would help both folks heading to Lincoln and folks heading to Grand Island as well. 189 miles total Salina to Lincoln (81->136->77). Junction City would also be great. (151 miles saving 38 miles) North/South routes are sadly lacking in the prairie states.

Thanks for the info about the impact of Tesla's charging to the local HyVee budget. We live in Texas and visit a daughter and family in Lincoln, so only use the SC for recharging from Salina and for topping off before the return through Salina. Therefore, the WunderRoost B&B is out for us. Belleville would be a great location for a SC on the North/South route. Guess I will have to watch the timing of our trips and try to hit Lincoln before their monthly SC budget is impacted.

I was at the Lincoln supercharger on June 26 and had to try 4 different plugs before I was able to get a decent charge. I pay for supercharging and I was billed four times: $.70, $.70, $.50 and $4.30. I didn't make note of which station finally worked. It wasn't particularly hot either (at least not by Arizona standards).

I just charged there last week, and was going super fast. Maybe we should start keeping track of which ones aren't going very fast.
I was there on June 24 @ ~8:30PM in stall 1A - it started at 114kW but it dropped down to less than 50kW within 5 minutes. Was at about 25% state of charge in my P85 after driving 500 miles that day. Left to check in hotel and eat and came back on 2A at around 10PM and didn't see the fast slowdown. An P85 was in 4B when I arrived. Another S plugged into 3B right after I had walked my dog around parking lot. A third S came while we were all talking and paired with me in 2B. I was pretty full so there was lots of kW left over. No one was using 1A/1B. Cars were 2 from California, 1 from Arizona and my Colorado car.

• Informative
This problem is really hard to pin down. The car almost) always starts a high rate and then after people leave the car it drops. So most people don't notice it. They see the high peak rate at the beginning and think all is fine.

The charge rate drops down as the battery fills up under perfect conditions so again it is difficult to know what charge rate is normal at what battery level. It is different for every battery pack type and as we know also depends on the age and usage of the battery pack. And of course pairing of stalls confuses new owners. All this makes it very difficult to make a statement if a Supercharger is slow or if it's normal based on all the factors mentioned.

Back in 2014 when I got my Model S Supercharging was a blast. It was fast and 100% reliable no matter what. Now, 4 years later and 170k miles driven, we have many more stations, but the reliability and issues with lower charge rates has become the norm for me. I just finished a 5600 miles road trip and about more than half the charging stops has issues with lower rates or worse.

This problem is really hard to pin down. The car almost) always starts a high rate and then after people leave the car it drops. So most people don't notice it. They see the high peak rate at the beginning and think all is fine.

The charge rate drops down as the battery fills up under perfect conditions so again it is difficult to know what charge rate is normal at what battery level. It is different for every battery pack type and as we know also depends on the age and usage of the battery pack. And of course pairing of stalls confuses new owners. All this makes it very difficult to make a statement if a Supercharger is slow or if it's normal based on all the factors mentioned.
At least in my case this isn't what was happening. I was the only car there. At each of the first three chargers, it started out high and then dropped way low. When I plugged into the fourth charger it started out high and stayed there, until the normal tapering down started. I think there is something hinky at the Lincoln superchargers.

• Informative