Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Littleton, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking like it's live. I'll have to stop by later.

Attachments

• PXL_20210330_132514914.jpg
    PXL_20210330_132514914.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 74
I arrived at 80% SoC, so didn't even bother looking at my charger rate at the time. On the way it was showing 11/12 available - when I pulled in there was a shiny red Y charging :)

Light posts were still not yet installed I believe. So some final site work is still needed. If this site is anything like other V3 sites that have come online in the last year, it may go down from time-to-time in the days/weeks ahead for brief periods for reasons as yet unknown. I think its site firmware updates myself, but I don't think anyone knows for sure outside of Tesla.

What peak rate are you getting with an X? I noticed in the app that it was showing 12/12 available initially, but now it shows 10/10.

edit: and now it's back to 12/12. Are they still commissioning it?..
As noted in my other reply - I didn't check today as I was at 80% upon arrival. Typically I'm able to get up to about 130 Kw peak charging rates these days on my 100D. For over a year I was capped at around 106 Kw due to excessive supercharging over the lifetime of the vehicle, but a recent firmware update in the past ~3 months or so removed that cap and I'm now back to max supercharging rates for the cars capabilities once again.

I'm selling/trading this car in at some point soon if/when Tesla starts shipping the refreshed X's.

I'm making a completely baseless guess that they have crews doing one SC after another. I wonder if the Lexington or Burlingtion site might be next.
I do think the number of crews they contract with is limited. I'm thinking more likely either Stoughton, Charlton most likely (if they haven't started already). Possibly Gloucester as well. I think Woburn is still waiting for an updated site plan from Tesla last I heard before they would issue a building permit. Burlington is probably in the same boat (no updated site plan updated to the permit page yet for the amended site location). Hard to tell on Lexington/Newton rest stop locations - I haven't seen any evidence of an building permit on either yet, but it's not clear to me if they'll issue one where I'm looking.

How many transformers are there? This one says 500KVA. How is it going to power twelve 250KW V3 Superchargers, even if not all are maxed out? Each of those 3 power cabinets are supposed to be 1MW capable, and able to power 4 charging stations each with no sharing.

While what you say was implied from what Tesla communicated with the V3 rollout, it isn't entirely true. Each V3 cabinet can only pull 350kW from the grid, but they have a shared DC bus so they can share the power between cabinets (up to 7 in a cluster, which can also include solar and batteries). So there is power sharing, but it is basically with all the stalls connected to a cluster of cabinets.

It just occurred to me that this is 3-phase 277/480v power and each power cabinet would be powered by one phase/circuit. I'm no power transmission engineer, but due to the phasing of each circuit, each cabinet could potentially pull close to full power from the transformer and not exceed the power rating of the transformer. So it may not be as undersized as we thought....

That's not how it works. Each cabinet is connected to all three phases, as connecting each cabinet to a single phase might cause phase imbalance. Also, the transformer rating is total, not per phase.

I do think the number of crews they contract with is limited. I'm thinking more likely either Stoughton, Charlton most likely (if they haven't started already). Possibly Gloucester as well. I think Woburn is still waiting for an updated site plan from Tesla last I heard before they would issue a building permit. Burlington is probably in the same boat (no updated site plan updated to the permit page yet for the amended site location). Hard to tell on Lexington/Newton rest stop locations - I haven't seen any evidence of an building permit on either yet, but it's not clear to me if they'll issue one where I'm looking.

If MA treats their rest stops like NJ does, we may not see the individual permits, though. Might just get a blanket project plan.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Definitely no signs
No sign of activity at the Lexington or Newton rest stops. I drive by both on a regular basis.
I'm actually curious where they will locate the chargers at these rest stops. The parking lots are actually relatively small at both of these.

Thanks for the note on Lexington/Newton. I think they are logical places to put superchargers for travel, but I agree 100% on these two stops being on the small side for superchargers. I think they'll be at risk for ICEing for sure.

I'll be going by Charlton westbound this Saturday so will check on that one then.

That's not how it works. Each cabinet is connected to all three phases, as connecting each cabinet to a single phase might cause phase imbalance. Also, the transformer rating is total, not per phase.

Thanks for the clarification. I stopped by to take a pic of the cabinet specs. Yes, they accept 3 phase AC input (up to 350kVA @480V) or DC input (up to 575kW), but what is interesting is the POST DC output spec. If this is the spec of the charger output to the car, then each cabinet would only appear to be able to source a maximum of 250kW, which is shared between 4 stalls?! That's disappointing as I thought there would be no more sharing, but it appears that 4 stalls still share a maximum of 250kW? Or perhaps the 250 kW output is for EACH of the 4 outputs? Can anyone who knows confirm?

IMG_2829.jpg