Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Littleton, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While what you say was implied from what Tesla communicated with the V3 rollout, it isn't entirely true. Each V3 cabinet can only pull 350kW from the grid, but they have a shared DC bus so they can share the power between cabinets (up to 7 in a cluster, which can also include solar and batteries). So there is power sharing, but it is basically with all the stalls connected to a cluster of cabinets.

So you are saying that a stall could get DC power from more than one power cabinet by virtue of the shared DC bus between the cabinets? The stalls were labeled 1A-1D, 2A-2D, and 3A-3D, which seems to imply they are tied to each cabinet but I guess it makes sense to pipe DC power from an under-utilized cabinet to a maxed out cabinet.

Thanks for the clarification. I stopped by to take a pic of the cabinet specs. Yes, they accept 3 phase AC input (up to 350kVA @480V) or DC input (up to 575kW), but what is interesting is the POST DC output spec. If this is the spec of the charger output to the car, then each cabinet would only appear to be able to source a maximum of 250kW, which is shared between 4 stalls?! That's disappointing as I thought there would be no more sharing, but it appears that 4 stalls still share a maximum of 250kW? Or perhaps the 250 kW output is for EACH of the 4 outputs? Can anyone who knows confirm?

View attachment 649414

You will notice that the ratings are for continuous power (350kVA), which is to say it can go much higher than that for a limited amount of time.
Then you see a 575kW rating on the DC stage. There's a clue that it goes much higher than 350.
Then you see the POST DC output of 250kW. But above you will also see that it is 4 Output. So it will drive four 250kW charging posts.
But the thing about ratings is they often are for continuous operation, without defining what non-continuous is, nor what their limits can actually achieve in the right temperature and load conditions.
It's quite likely it can handle 250kWx4 for a few minutes then limit things due to heat...but at that point some of the cars have tapered as well.
You really need to look up the datasheets of all the components inside, and figure out the absolute maximum ratings.

but what is interesting is the POST DC output spec. If this is the spec of the charger output to the car, then each cabinet would only appear to be able to source a maximum of 250kW, which is shared between 4 stalls?!
No, it can do up to 250 kW to multiple vehicles simultaneously, assuming that it has sufficient input power available. The listing there is giving the per circuit output (i.e. to a single stall), not the total output capability of the entire cabinet. Otherwise, it wouldn't ever need to draw more power than a touch over 250 kW (over 250 to account for AC-to-DC conversion loses and power factor, etc). Certainly it wouldn't need to be able to draw up to 575kW DC from the connected cabinets or an on-site battery.

Thanks for the clarification. I stopped by to take a pic of the cabinet specs. Yes, they accept 3 phase AC input (up to 350kVA @480V) or DC input (up to 575kW), but what is interesting is the POST DC output spec. If this is the spec of the charger output to the car, then each cabinet would only appear to be able to source a maximum of 250kW, which is shared between 4 stalls?! That's disappointing as I thought there would be no more sharing, but it appears that 4 stalls still share a maximum of 250kW? Or perhaps the 250 kW output is for EACH of the 4 outputs? Can anyone who knows confirm?
Thanks for posting this. Obviously, the post DC output is per charging post. As @mociaf9 noted, it makes no sense that the maximum output of the whole cabinet is 250kW. The combined power of the AC input and DC input is roughly 1MW, so it looks it can provide 250kW to four posts at the same time if it can pull enough power through the DC bus.

So you are saying that a stall could get DC power from more than one power cabinet by virtue of the shared DC bus between the cabinets? The stalls were labeled 1A-1D, 2A-2D, and 3A-3D, which seems to imply they are tied to each cabinet but I guess it makes sense to pipe DC power from an under-utilized cabinet to a maxed out cabinet.
Indeed, each post is connected to only one cabinet, but the cabinets can share power between them using the DC bus. Note that the DC bus operates at a higher voltage (800-1000V) than the one provided to the stalls (0-500V). In the event that four cars connect to a single cabinet and the other two cabinets are unused, these cabinets can divert power to the one that needs it. However, if all the cabinets are maxed out, they cannot spare power to divert. So essentially there is power sharing but instead of sharing the power between 2 posts as is the case with V2, with V3 the sharing can be between up to 28 posts.

Last edited:
Indeed, each post is connected to only one cabinet, but the cabinets can share power between them using the DC bus. Note that the DC bus operates at a higher voltage (800-1000V) than the one provided to the stalls (0-500V). In the event that four cars connect to a single cabinet and the other two cabinets are unused, these cabinets can divert power to the one that needs it. However, if all the cabinets are maxed out, they cannot spare power to divert. So essentially there is power sharing but instead of sharing the power between 2 posts as is the case with V2, with V3 the sharing can be between up to 28 posts.

Well, this brings us back to the fact that there is only a puny 500kVA transformer feeding all 3 cabinets. Even older cars are going to draw over 70kW continuously till they reach 50% SOC, never mind the 3s and Ys, so it won't take many cars to reach capacity for this site....

At least the available power per stall is not restricted by the cabinet, but by the available site power, so no need to search for an empty pair anymore...

Well, this brings us back to the fact that there is only a puny 500kVA transformer feeding all 3 cabinets. Even older cars are going to draw over 70kW continuously till they reach 50% SOC, never mind the 3s and Ys, so it won't take many cars to reach capacity for this site....

At least the available power per stall is not restricted by the cabinet, but by the available site power, so no need to search for an empty pair anymore...

The 500kVA transformer rating is a continuous rating not a peak rating, so it can supply much more than that for the several minutes that a car or two is in the top of their charging curve.

The 500kVA transformer rating is a continuous rating not a peak rating, so it can supply much more than that for the several minutes that a car or two is in the top of their charging curve.
Understood, but it still seems shortsighted to provision a 12 stall site so marginally, given that the capacity of their equipment.

I'll be interested in hearing from 3 and Y folks about their charging experience at this site when moderately utilized....

Understood, but it still seems shortsighted to provision a 12 stall site so marginally, given that the capacity of their equipment.

I'll be interested in hearing from 3 and Y folks about their charging experience at this site when moderately utilized....
I was there on Thursday. There were 3-4 other cars and I started at ~40% state of charge - and pulled no more than ~55kW.

Stopped by a little while ago. There was what was clearly a wrapped up light pole lying on the sidewalk behind the pedestals. There were 4-5 cars charging, so it's clearly a needed spot. I took a photo of the specs plate on one of the transformers,if any is interested I'll post it.

Stopped by a little while ago. There was what was clearly a wrapped up light pole lying on the sidewalk behind the pedestals. There were 4-5 cars charging, so it's clearly a needed spot. I took a photo of the specs plate on one of the transformers,if any is interested I'll post it.

The cabinet specs have already been posted earlier on this thread. More importantly, what charging rates did you get?

Model 3. The battery was warm and had also been preconditioned.
I presume you've seen higher rates before and this was just an anomaly? Even with my 350V battery pack, I still saw a peak of 97kW coming in at 25% SOC, dropping to 71kW at 50% SOC. This was with total of 3 cars charging. I have achieved 118kW before at another V3 Supercharger before, which is about that max my pack is allowed to do.

I presume you've seen higher rates before and this was just an anomaly? Even with my 350V battery pack, I still saw a peak of 97kW coming in at 25% SOC, dropping to 71kW at 50% SOC. This was with total of 3 cars charging. I have achieved 118kW before at another V3 Supercharger before, which is about that max my pack is allowed to do.
Yes. Last weekend I saw a higher rate of charge from a similar state of charge from the 72kw superchargers at the south shore plaza.

I think SC is still getting tweaked. I stopped by this afternoon just to test (as i expect to use this location frequently in future, 3 miles away), @65% SOC, i started with 44kW on a Model X first gen. The problem I noticed was that every minute or so, the charge rate kept resetting. First time saw this happening :(. Will check again later in the week.

We were briefly over 1000 mph with our change session
05/01/2021 Littleton, MA Supercharging $12.75 51 kWh @ $0.25/kWh $12.75
TeslaMate had disconnected from my account at the time or I would have real details.

3 other cars were charging. When returned back to Maine on the 2nd we were in another stall and the only car at the SC and had a rather poor session. We had enough to make it to the Kennebunk NB SC and thus just left with 16 kWh.

That said this is one of the nicer SC locations. A quick walk to Marketbasket to use the facilities and do some mid-trip snack shopping.

Reactions: Tdreamer
We have used it twice a couple weeks ago, and yes, walked to Market Basket and bought a lot of food. We had our own bags, but was a haul carrying all the bags back. Definitely plan on using this charger again. Lots of nice restaurants, movie theatre, shops, etc. As for slow charging, did you try moving to another one? That has helped me in the past, whether or not it is my car or the pedestal I am charging at.

Reactions: kayak1