Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live/Dead Stall status in real time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just completed my first real road trip (1600 miles total) from VA to FL and back. At a couple of superchargers there were stalls that were "dead", no electric output at all. I moved to another free stall and started charging. Being a nice guy, I called Tesla roadside support while I was charging and just made a report that 2B was dead. The guy said, let me check on that and see, then said Yep its dead thanks we'll have someone out to take a look.
This happened at a couple different places.
My question is this. If they can "ping" the stall manually and see if its live or dead, why not do that every so often to all stalls and have this info updated on the nav map. So if there are 6 stalls at a stop and 2 stalls occupied and one dead, the nav map would read 3 out of 6 available. As it works now, those dead stalls appear as live on the routing. Which in one case (the Savannah GA Apt charger) there are 6 stalls. When i got there 4 stalls were full and the other 2 were dead. I ended up waiting an extra 45 min or so to get electrons. Not a huge deal. Just more accurate info would be nice to have.

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad
BINGO. Lots of ways to make this better. Someone who has Elon's ear needs to make him aware of it. Til then, it is frustrating and will become a PR negative as non-FanBoys begin to get their cars and 'experience' the superchargers. One improvement would be an 800 number that goes directly to someone whose responsibility it is to ensure SC uptime. I call about dead ones too, and more than half the time I feel like my issue goes in the circular file rather than becoming a ticket.

Which in one case (the Savannah GA Apt charger) there are 6 stalls

Hello, fellow Richmond'er

I hate that Savannah GA airport charger. When I went last winter during the holiday season, the traffic was backed up on I95 trying to get to the shopping areas, and it was too chilly to convince my wife to walk to the airport. On the way back north, I timed things to skip that one..

Hello, fellow Richmond'er

I hate that Savannah GA airport charger. When I went last winter during the holiday season, the traffic was backed up on I95 trying to get to the shopping areas, and it was too chilly to convince my wife to walk to the airport. On the way back north, I timed things to skip that one..

Yeah I agree its a really crappy place to put a charger. And the whole having to drive into the airport parking deck and then go thru the gate and sign out with your name and phone number? Why do they need that info? Not a good spot for supercharging.

In 2013 when no one on the east coast took Tesla seriously that was the best they could do in the Savannah area, which was needed to fill a gap on I-95. When that lease is up hopefully there will be more convenient locations competing to host a Tesla supercharger.

Reactions: jkennebeck
The Supercharger network could be a significant advantage Tesla has over the other manufacturers, who will rely on 3rd party long distance charging networks.

On a recent road trip, we stopped at one of the first round of superchargers built in Texas, with only 6 charging spots (3 A/B pairs). One spot was blocked by an ICE parked in the spot (so Tesla thought the charger was available). There were 3 other Tesla's already charging leaving us two spots. And when we tried to use those spots we had problems charging.

While sitting in the car, I called Tesla to see if we were having problems with our onboard charging hardware - and they told me they were aware of problems at that location, and could even give me the % of degradation for each charging spot (so we could prioritize which spot to use when they became available).

If Tesla already knew the location had charging issues - they should provide this information, along with the number of charging spots available.

They should also have some way for owners to report issues, including blocked parking spots, and use that to update the status to more accurately reflect the actual availability.

As Tesla adds more superchargers, and there are more routes where you may have the option to skip over one supercharger and stretch your charge to hit the next one - if that supercharger is having issues, it would be useful to know - and instead hit the closer supercharger, if it has better availability.

Reactions: jkennebeck