Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I returned from some out-of-town work yesterday afternoon. I thought that I would test the notification situation before going home at the Fresno Supercharger. I started checking the status from Merced (about 45 minutes out) every ten minutes. The status consistently showed "7 of 10 stalls available."

When I arrived, surely enough, there were three Teslas plugged in. I plugged in and set my charge to 80%, (40 minutes per the timer). It took about 3 minutes before the screen reflected my arrival when it changed to "6 of 10 stalls available."

I got extremely lucky during my stay. One car left, and three more showed up within 15 minutes. The change to the display would take 30 seconds to about 4 minutes to reflect the addition or removal of vehicles.

I noticed that even when there were 7 of us charging, there was never any mention of the forty-cent idle fee. When I completed my charge, two more people had departed, and we were down to 5. I never received any notification that my charge session was completed or nearing completion.

For the next five minutes after charging, I kept the cable attached to the car. The display still said "5 of 10 stalls available." I then removed the cable and hung it up. Upon returning to the driver's seat, the display dropped to "6 of 10 stalls available" within a few seconds, even though my car was still parked in the stall.

So, I gather that there is a periodic polling between cars and the Master Supercharger Confluence and Information Center to determine availability. I also gather that occupied but not connected or ICE'd stalls are not known. This might possibly explain why some locations have wordage like "3 stalls possibly available." Perhaps these locations might have the "General Parking - 60 minutes" signs that permit anyone to park in a SC stall for shorter periods. Fresno's 10 stalls are dedicated to Tesla; no general purpose parking is permitted.

I've made a number of updates to the Realtime Supercharger Map Today - Tesla Supercharger Realtime Availability Map - EV-Prices - Tesla Price History & Modeler
  • UI Cleanup
  • Responsive AutoSize for large screens
  • Saves position and zoom in URI fragment to maintain state after Refresh or in BookMark
  • Performance Improvements (using MarkerManager to avoid drawing offscreen SC's)
  • In Car Mode when running from Tesla Browser
    • Auto Zooms to current location every 30 seconds
    • Only pulls data for SC's in view to improve performance (car JS performance is terrible)
  • Availability History coming soon (wk057 is working on it)

If you run into any problems or have suggestions, please send me feedback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.52.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 9.52.47 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
It's obvious to me why Tesla wouldn't want the information to be public: if the information changes behavior, then the information is less useful to Tesla.

Basically every other public charge network displays realtime data to the user and have done so for several years. I don't see how collecting this data is any different.

@wk057 @wolfson292

Any way to add the service center superchargers to your excellent work so far?

(For example, the Tesla Service Center on Grand Avenue in Chicago has 2 SuCs that are not shown on the Tesla website or on the in-car browser).
Service center SpCs may not be for public use. Costa Mesa has one only to test fast charging or to quickly charge up a car before returning to customer.

@wk057 @wolfson292

Any way to add the service center superchargers to your excellent work so far?

(For example, the Tesla Service Center on Grand Avenue in Chicago has 2 SuCs that are not shown on the Tesla website or on the in-car browser).

Service center SpCs may not be for public use. Costa Mesa has one only to test fast charging or to quickly charge up a car before returning to customer.

Agreed, but I have used the Grand Avenue SuC and SC personnel say it is ok. Maybe a site by site decision, which would make it impossible to automatically include or exclude.

My question is whether the data is even there.

Internet traffic never goes through the VPN connection on the car. What happens with the cellular data on the other side of the system (tower onward) I don't know.

Well, I just know if you ping the IP address in the browser, it's never AT&T, but a cloud VPN provider. It used to be Jasper Networks, and now it's Oak Ridge Networks or something like that (I can't remember).