Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
es, but a proxy is not a VPN. I'm not positive, but Tesla's VPN likely uses high grade 2048 bit RSA or higher encryption. There is no way you could sniff that traffic without it being useless garble. The point is that the browser does not go through Tesla's VPN.

Which is exactly what I said above:

It might not go through the same VPN the internal telemetry traffic does, but it certainly does go through Tesla's VPN when on 3G/LTE.

Perhaps I should have said "proxy" instead of VPN. So sue me.

I checked this morning and those status bars were not present. Very slick to add these. I wonder how often they get updated? Every minute, I would hope. My most distant SuperCharger report is 350 miles from my location ~55% further than my battery will take me.
View attachment 213859
It is every 10 minutes. I recently visited the Design Center in Hawthorne and they have a huge tv screen showing the updates with a 10 minute delay note beneath.

Yes, but a proxy is not a VPN. I'm not positive, but Tesla's VPN likely uses high grade 2048 bit RSA or higher encryption. There is no way you could sniff that traffic without it being useless garble. The point is that the browser does not go through Tesla's VPN.

Control Channel: TLSv1, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, 2048 bit RSA
Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key

The browser is also restricted from hitting any hosts over the VPN, or the CID itself or the other local devices like the IC and Gateway.

Which is exactly what I said above:

Perhaps I should have said "proxy" instead of VPN. So sue me.

Ok, I see. Think we are on two different wavelengths. You originally quoted my post disputing my claim that the car browser does not go through their VPN and therefore cannot access the supercharger status API.

I agree that it probably does go through some proxy or VPN somewhere downstream as evidenced by the ISP, but the point is still the same that the browser cannot access internal APIs (which is why I initially responded with that comment in reply to another user). Hope this clears up the confusion.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The data shows the SC network traversing DTLA is woefully inadequate. Burbank is always at least 1/2 full, and there is nothing on the I5 between Buena Park and Burbank. Anyone know of plans to put 20 stalls in the middle of LA? Because that's what they need!

So all the new people know, California is a particularly dicey situation to get supercharging in the urban environments. So, Texans, don't get put off by the following:
The data shows the SC network traversing DTLA is woefully inadequate. Burbank is always at least 1/2 full, and there is nothing on the I5 between Buena Park and Burbank. Anyone know of plans to put 20 stalls in the middle of LA? Because that's what they need!

20 stalls in the middle of LA would just feed the locals. Going north on the 5, a stop at Buena Park will get you to Tejón so there is no reason to stop at Burbank.

20 stalls in the middle of LA would just feed the locals. Going north on the 5, a stop at Buena Park will get you to Tejón so there is no reason to stop at Burbank.

Wow - "just feed the locals" - rather than a negative, let's make it a positive.

New Tesla adjacent business: *local* "gas" stations -- e.g., that 20-stall station mooted by @oktane. NOT for free if you live within, say, 100 mile radius; charges from the first kWh, but at a rate competitive with local home charging. Maybe even two cost levels (all auto-billed to your credit card): cheaper rate 1 until you hit 80% SOC; more expensive rate 2 to top off. Build 'em out with a gas-station style convenience center, but instead of selling all things crappy, lease to Starbucks.

Might even want to take over existing gas stations, although I'd be worried about environmental remediation costs.

Alan

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
Wow - "just feed the locals" - rather than a negative, let's make it a positive.

New Tesla adjacent business: *local* "gas" stations -- e.g., that 20-stall station mooted by @oktane. NOT for free if you live within, say, 100 mile radius; charges from the first kWh, but at a rate competitive with local home charging. Maybe even two cost levels (all auto-billed to your credit card): cheaper rate 1 until you hit 80% SOC; more expensive rate 2 to top off. Build 'em out with a gas-station style convenience center, but instead of selling all things crappy, lease to Starbucks.

Might even want to take over existing gas stations, although I'd be worried about environmental remediation costs.

Alan

This might work only if the Supercharger costs included the Time Of Use ("TOU") electrical pricing which Tesla is paying.

Here in SoCal Edison territory that's:
  • 3X the cost during "On-Peak Hours" (2:00 PM to 8:00 PM weekdays) and
  • 1.5X the cost during "Off-Peak" hours (8:00 AM to 10:00 AM and 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM weekdays + 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM weekends)
... than "Super Off-Peak" (10:00 PM to 8:00 AM every day).

Unfortunately most of the Supercharger activity is during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours which is when most of the congestion occurs.

Maybe the solution is to give "locals" free Supercharger use from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM which coincides with Tesla's electrical costs.

"Locals" should also pay for Tesla's Supercharger "distribution" costs:
  • facility lease payments
  • equipment maintenance
Just a thought to appease the "locals" who refuse to invest in their own home charging.

BTW we parked next to the Fountain Valley, CA Superchargers yesterday while we shopped at Costco. The Supercharger Live Status showed all 8 stations full... Then 2 available... Then full again... all in a couple of minute period. This coincided with us watching 2 SC stalls being vacated then immediately filled with 2 Teslas that were patiently waiting. Not exactly "real time" but pretty close!

Real-time traffic, accidents, hazards, and police from Waze are now shown when zoomed in at or above level 10 on the map. Additionally the amenity icons are now fixed. No one realized they were showing completely bogus data.

Excellent!

It appears that in my neck of the woods there are various SuC that do not have all stalls reporting. (Based on on-site info as well as never seeing all stalls available). 4 out of 11 locations have 8 out of 73 total stalls which do not appear to be reporting. Is there something that can be done about these?

Thanks!

Excellent!

It appears that in my neck of the woods there are various SuC that do not have all stalls reporting. (Based on on-site info as well as never seeing all stalls available). 4 out of 11 locations have 8 out of 73 total stalls which do not appear to be reporting. Is there something that can be done about these?

Thanks!

This is a problem with the actual data coming from Tesla. The in car view has the same issue. wk057 has made some attempts to work around it, but can only do so much. In some cases I am now saying "at least X of X" stalls available, or "X more possibly" when there is reason to believe more are free. It appears that if both stalls in a pair are not used for some time they go to sleep and stop reporting data.

Excellent!
It appears that in my neck of the woods there are various SuC that do not have all stalls reporting. (Based on on-site info as well as never seeing all stalls available). 4 out of 11 locations have 8 out of 73 total stalls which do not appear to be reporting. Is there something that can be done about these? Thanks!
@thefortunes , because this same information shows up in the Tesla built in nav map, it would seem the best thing to do is to report it to Tesla. Meaning fix it at the source then the wk057 users would benefit from any fixes/changes that Tesla makes.

Reactions: Falkirk
Real-time traffic, accidents, hazards, and police from Waze are now shown when zoomed in at or above level 10 on the map. Additionally the amenity icons are now fixed. No one realized they were showing completely bogus data.

Thank you for putting this into a desktop browser view. Just a note: the Waze traffic data points made it difficult to see the Superchargers in LA today. If you were soliciting a change request, I would vote to add a Waze traffic data on/off toggle. Regardless, this is very cool and thank you for doing it.

This is a problem with the actual data coming from Tesla. The in car view has the same issue. wk057 has made some attempts to work around it, but can only do so much. In some cases I am now saying "at least X of X" stalls available, or "X more possibly" when there is reason to believe more are free. It appears that if both stalls in a pair are not used for some time they go to sleep and stop reporting data.

I left this website open overnight in Safari and it ballooned to a 22GB memory leak. Not sure where this issue is, Safari or the website, but fair warning to others wanting to keep this tab loaded.