Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) California is underserved, because Tesla can. The market gets two subsidies, both federal and state, so Tesla has to work less hard to make a sale in California as in other states -- thus, to attract non-cal buyers, Tesla has to make a more attractive Supercharger network outside California, or rebate car sales outside the state.

I suspect you nailed the answer. IF Tesla is run like a normal company (yeah, I know, big assumption), then you have regional sales managers who are hitting up Tesla corporate for help in their markets. Given that CA sales have always been robust (and the $2500 state tax rebate sure helps, as well as HOV lane access), the regional CA sales critter isn't squeeking as loud as the other regions are.

Having said that, when prospective buyers ask me for advice on whether or not to buy a Tesla, and they drive a lot (like a sales person who has all of Southern CA as a territory, not unusual), I DO NOT recommend a Tesla since needing to use a Supercharger several times a week does not work well here in southern CA.

Tesla may not realize it, but the lack of SC capacity in the big urban corridors in CA is impacting sales.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
As of right now, every single Supercharger locale in North America (well, all but 3) is registering as red/0 available. I'd guess either Tesla's data feed is down, or they blocked wk057's access to it. (The 3 that aren't red are grey - no data available. Not a single green or yellow).

UPDATE: its every where in the world. Red and grey only.\

UPDATE #2: just saw wk057's post, think #293, wherein he announced that he is shutting his data stream down. I guess that's what I am seeing.

Last edited:
But, it's not. The in car screen only shows usage for 'nearby' superchargers. For trip planning purposes, it would be nice to look at the usage patterns at 'far away' superchargers. The website was useful to see usage patterns at superchargers I would need for trips.
If you need a far away supercharger for a trip, then you need it. I fail to see how knowing that it's 10% or 100% occupied on Tuesday evenings or whatever has any practical impact.

Reactions: bxr140
If you need a far away supercharger for a trip, then you need it. I fail to see how knowing that it's 10% or 100% occupied on Tuesday evenings or whatever has any practical impact.

Really or are you just saying that to be disagreeable? It's because usage tends to occur in patterns. Some users may like to know days or weeks ahead of time what to expect at a SC. Having this site would have prevented my disaster at Burbank, since I wouldn't have taken the Tesla on a road trip in the first place knowing how congested SCs are in SoCal.

If it's 10% Free Tuesday during the day and 100% Free Tuesday evening, then I'd like the option to arrange my travel day differently rather than show up at 4PM only to have a potentially long wait.

If I'm traveling across the country, supercharger availability is so rarely a problem that it's not a big deal. Although... With the website, I saw the the SC south of Denver is pretty damn busy. I didn't know that, and being in California, my in-car display doesn't show Denver. While I may not be able to avoid a supercharger on an across the country trip, it would be nice to know in advance that I may have to spend more than what trip planner says at the supercharger. This is useful to know since I plan hotel stops. Having to spend an extra hour at a supercharger has an impact on trip planning.

If I'm traveling in California (Hey, that's where I live), the supercharger availability patterns in the part of California my car doesn't show is pretty useful information when it comes to trip planning. Do I have to plan to skirt LA at 11PM in the evening to avoid waiting? The answer, from monitoring the data for a few days appears to be no. But, for someone in LA who can't see the Bay Area, they may not know that even at 11PM at night the San Mateo Supercharger is usually still completely full.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Sorry, my bad. This thread had morphed into a discussion of the nationwide solution that was a website with a map showing all of the Superchargers and their status, not just the ones near your car. That system was shut down by the developers last night, and that is what I thought you were talking about.

I don't know that anyone has reported that the map in the car is no longer showing Supercharger status. I will go check it now...

EDIT: you are correct. The Supercharger status is no longer on the Nav map in the car.
Read first, then post.

I was referring to my on screen map no longer shows the live status.

Update. I am in Washington now and the local supercharger does show the live status. Hopefully it's back.

I confirmed again that it's still working for me. Some numbers are a little suspicious but nearly all superchargers within a radius of 225+ miles of the Denver metro area are reporting.

Who knows? Maybe it's a geographic thing...

I don't really care -- I'd have to go to whatever Supercharger I was going toward anyway, no matter if it was busy. My next trip is west to Junction, Ozona, and the future site in Van Horn, TX. I will faint if I see a Tesla on that trip!

Council Bluffs Supercharger not reporting availability but Lincoln, NE and Des Moines are both reporting the number of stalls available. Maybe they're working out the kinks?

Attachments

• 14875950346741815364703.jpg
    14875950346741815364703.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 14875950891311591643138.jpg
    14875950891311591643138.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1487595136478148072477.jpg
    1487595136478148072477.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 50