Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers at service centers are not shown on the "live" map. The Chicago 2-stall SC on Grand isn't visible, which is a shame because it's nearly always full.

The Rocklin and Seaside (near Salinas in map below) SC's show up for me.
PW7Kt2H.jpg

Reactions: Ulmo
This is a great addition to the navigation!

It could however use a bit better integration I think, for example it would be nice if it displayed the availability when you are actually using the navigation and not just when you are looking at the charger map.
I drove 200 km yesterday before hitting the first supercharger and the amount of free stalls was quite different when I arrived, compared to when I started.

It seems counter intuitive to have to cancel the trip just to see if there is any free stalls at your next stop.

This is a great addition to the navigation!

It could however use a bit better integration I think, for example it would be nice if it displayed the availability when you are actually using the navigation and not just when you are looking at the charger map.
I drove 200 km yesterday before hitting the first supercharger and the amount of free stalls was quite different when I arrived, compared to when I started.

It seems counter intuitive to have to cancel the trip just to see if there is any free stalls at your next stop.
Strongly agree. Let's hope @ecarfan's prediction of continual improvement actually happens.

A nice feature to add would be a recommendation on which chargers should be used when arriving at a supercharger - something like "Recommend using chargers 1A, 2B".

If each of the chargers (1, 2, 3, ...) have one spot being used, Tesla could make the recommendation based on the charging at the other station on that charger, and recommend using the spot that would get the fastest charging. If someone is tying up a charger to get their 60 to 100%, the other spot for that charger will likely get full charging, since charging close to 100% charges much more slowly.

Let's hope Tesla will continue to make improvements to this feature.

Reactions: Ulmo
I agree, the car should recommend which stall to use.

It should, and it will--just give it time. The recommendation will come as a 'for best charging rate, use this stall(s)', with a map of the charger layout. All other information is irrelevant and ultimately confusing for the average driver.

Obviously full autonomy supersedes the need to actually tell the driver anything, but that reality is far enough off that we'll see an interim solution first.

Especially when the station is nearly full, it would be better to park adjacent to a car that is almost done charging.

While that's true for the majority of superchargers, it's untrue for enough of them that it's a bad rule of thumb. A charger layout map eliminates 1) the problem of people not understanding how chargers or paired and 2) knowing how a particular site's chargers are numbered.

Who will be the one to reverse engineer this API? I'd love to get my hands on it and start collecting some data.

We're already working on it.

Highly doubtful that it's public facing. You'd need the car keys from the CID.

This. While it's not public facing, it does connect through the Tesla VPN to internal servers. No keys needed. Just root access.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
There are so many different layouts that it would be cumbersome for Tesla to create graphics depicting each one. Just give me a pop up list of all the stall numbers and show me the max amps at each. Simple.

Only about eight hundred sites worldwide - hardly a big task, and you probably wouldn't store them all onboard - downloaded from the Nav source data as needed.

Done properly, the map has other advantages - it can help you find where the block of Superchargers is in a big parking lot, too.

We're already working on it.

This. While it's not public facing, it does connect through the Tesla VPN to internal servers. No keys needed. Just root access.

Was going to ask about this. Would the end product be something like the display that Tesla used to have in Hawthorne that shows real time Supercharger use? That would be great to see. Something like that is going to be available at some point, it's just a matter of whether Tesla provides it, or Hank here coaxes it out of the feed Tesla is using to send that info to the cars.

RT

Reactions: Missile Toad
This is a terrific update!!! As a southern Californian, I should now be able to choose an open charger when traveling up the busy I-5 corridor. And I concur that: " it would be nice if it displayed the availability when you are actually using the navigation" Keep those updates coming Tesla. :):):)

Was going to ask about this. Would the end product be something like the display that Tesla used to have in Hawthorne that shows real time Supercharger use? That would be great to see. Something like that is going to be available at some point, it's just a matter of whether Tesla provides it, or Hank here coaxes it out of the feed Tesla is using to send that info to the cars.

RT

What I want to build is yes, a real-time nationwide map of current SC utilization. But more importantly, a history of usage over time. So we can identify and predict SC hotspots ahead of time, with some confidence level attached. So if you're headed to some SC, and it shows most stalls empty, by the time you actually get there in two hours, it could be full with cars waiting.

We could also set up alerts to say "Text me whenever SC location X is Y% full".

Unfortunately, in the data stream now there is no per-stall utilization or charging rate, or time charging, which would really help to create an "Use stall X for optimal charging" notifications when approaching a SC. That's my ultimate goal, but I need the data to support it.

What I want to build is yes, a real-time nationwide map of current SC utilization. But more importantly, a history of usage over time. So we can identify and predict SC hotspots ahead of time, with some confidence level attached. So if you're headed to some SC, and it shows most stalls empty, by the time you actually get there in two hours, it could be full with cars waiting.
Do you think Tesla is OK with this info being public or would they want to shut it down?

Do you think Tesla is OK with this info being public or would they want to shut it down?

In a sense, the information is already "public". Tesla is pushing information to your car showing you how busy a local Supercharger station is at a given point in time. Hank is just looking to take that to the next level. Actively collect that data for all Superchargers and allow not only access to it, but analyze it and turn it into something that would even be predictive.

It almost goes without saying that Tesla should have started down this path a long time ago. But you raise a valid point, which is that this set of data would provide anyone an idea of where they would need to set up Superchargers should they want to build out a similar network. In that case, they could also just as easily head over to supercharge.info and simply start duplicating Teslas current network.

The VW Nationwide highway charging plan comes out February 22nd. It will be interesting to see where they plan on putting their fast charging stations.

RT

Last edited: