Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Livermore, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2018, 20 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a Permit for the livermore supercharger after noticing it was slated for Summer 2018 on Tesla's map. Permit is behind a login, but information is posted here:

Record CM180049:
Commercial Miscellaneous
Record Status: Plan Review

2774 LIVERMORE OUTLETS DR
LIVERMORE 94551

Applicant:
ERICKA MAHLER - TESLA INC
TESLA INC
3500 DEER CREEK DR
PALO ALTO, 94304
Afghanistan

Licensed Professional:
United States
Contractor 000
Project Description:
Install EV charging station to include 10 charge cabinets, 20 charge posts, 1 QED switchgear, 2 Level-2 charge posts, 1 utility transformer (SF Premium Outlets)

Job Value($):
$218,500.00

If it's anywhere within a half mile of the mall it will be 100 percent ICE'd on a daily basis. Terrible location and a waste of Tesla's money.
Yes, and the world is coming to an end tomorrow. Really, I read it on the internet.

ICEing does happen, but only a tiny fraction of all Supercharger stalls are blocked by ICE vehicles at any one time.

Instead of complaining about Supercharger siting decisions, I prefer to celebrate the opening of every new Supercharger and enjoy the benefits of the largest and most useful high speed DC charging network in the world, a network that continues to grow at an amazing rate.

I have never faced icing of Supercharger spots in CA during my 2 years of ownership. But this particular mall has insane parking issues, especially during weekends. The bigger problem will probably be local owners using the spot to park their Tesla vehicle as they go shopping

If you have been to this mall then you would understand. It is packed all the time, and the few times I've gone it takes forever to find parking. You literally have to follow somebody walking to their car to get a spot, and when you are walking back to your car you will also be followed so they can get your spot. It's the worst parking lot situation I've ever encountered. There are already EV spots up close that are always ICE'd, so I doubt that will change.

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest and otter
Yet everyone on TMC always thinks *their* new supercharger is going to be ICEd constantly.
I would never consider this "my" Supercharger. I avoid this mall as much as possible. My comment is more in consideration of those that have a need to use it during their travels, and that it's not a good location. The parking lot for Home Depot or Target would have been a much better choice.

Reactions: Macbest
I would never consider this "my" Supercharger. I avoid this mall as much as possible. My comment is more in consideration of those that have a need to use it during their travels, and that it's not a good location. The parking lot for Home Depot or Target would have been a much better choice.

And perhaps those locations (which I agree would probably be more suitable) were not available, for reasons that none of us are aware of.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and otter
Here's a review from somebody who was at the mall two weeks ago. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong and they find a location that deters ICE'ing, but this is the worst parking lot I have ever dealt with in my life.

"The best outlet mall in the Bay Area with lots of good stores. But this place has a long way to go to improve the parking condition and the wait times at the stores. Lots of parking available but it's never enough especially on a weekend. I had to circle for an hour to find parking. Be prepared for fighting for the parking spots. Also be prepared for long lines at the entry and checkout at popular stores on a regular weekend. Welcome to Bay Area"

• Informative
Reactions: otter
Here's a review from somebody who was at the mall two weeks ago. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong and they find a location that deters ICE'ing, but this is the worst parking lot I have ever dealt with in my life.

"The best outlet mall in the Bay Area with lots of good stores. But this place has a long way to go to improve the parking condition and the wait times at the stores. Lots of parking available but it's never enough especially on a weekend. I had to circle for an hour to find parking. Be prepared for fighting for the parking spots. Also be prepared for long lines at the entry and checkout at popular stores on a regular weekend. Welcome to Bay Area"

Yeah I know, I've been there a bunch of times (generally not willingly). I've seen people park even on the other side of the freeway and hike over. Still, IMHO a Supercharger there is better than none at all. My wife says that during the week it's not so bad. ICE-ing of the CHAdeMO chargers is a thing, but the times I've been there it wasn't dramatically worse than anywhere else. Maybe if they put the SuperCharger stalls on the outskirts of the parking lot it won't be as bad as trying to get to the existing CHAdeMO chargers.

Note for travellers passing through, there some some EVgo CHAdeMO chargers in the newly-opened Asian mall (Pacific Pearl is the name?) kitty-corner from the outlet mall. They're relatively lightly used (for now), not sure to what degree that will change as more stores open there.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and otter
We drove our Bolt up there last May and I stupidly yes STUPIDLY tried to go to this mall to use the CCS chargers there to charge our Bolt around noon on Memorial Day. Good GOD. It took over a half hour in a long line of traffic (with people directing traffic all over the place) just to get into the parking lot. I did manage to time my entry perfectly though as someone was just pulling out of a charging spot when I got to it. The other spot was occupied by a Nissan LEAF that had been there a while -- he was full and still plugged in -- just using it for premium parking I'm guessing. What a complete zoo.

About a week later we came back by this area and I went to charge again, but this time at night -- around 10:00 PM. Since all the stores were closed I was able to charge without too much problem but it was kind of creepy hanging around a dark parking lot.

I can't think of a worse place in Livermore to put a supercharger station. Oh I will try to use it as Dublin is ALWAYS busy. Wish me luck.