Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Livermore, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2018, 20 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and the world is coming to an end tomorrow. Really, I read it on the internet.

ICEing does happen, but only a tiny fraction of all Supercharger stalls are blocked by ICE vehicles at any one time.

Instead of complaining about Supercharger siting decisions, I prefer to celebrate the opening of every new Supercharger and enjoy the benefits of the largest and most useful high speed DC charging network in the world, a network that continues to grow at an amazing rate.
I'm cautiously excited by this location.

For disclosure, yes the parking problems here are literally the worst I've ever seen anywhere in my life. On Black Friday, the location literally causes a traffic jam all the way to the freeway, every year. Like @bmah was saying, people will park on the other side of the freeway on Croak Road and walk over there (1mi). At the Target shopping center they have "Customer Parking Only" signs for the sole reason that they don't want overflow parking (I'm sure it happens anyways). They regularly use Las Positas Community College as overflow parking on weekends and shuttle people back and forth. I've heard rumors that they were going to build a parking garage but I've seen nothing happen on that front. Instead they sectioned off multiple rows of parking and are asking people to pay $5 to self park in those areas. And of course there's additional valet parking for a higher price.

The good news is that there are additional shopping centers popping up around this outlet mall so on weekdays this location will be fantastic.

According to the map, the location isn't at the outlets, it's downtown.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.52.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.52.22 AM.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 72
I live right by the outlets as well. I will echo the sentiment of others that is an absolute miserable zoo on the weekends during normal business hours. We go out of our way to avoid this place on the weekends, even making a point to take the highway to get to the Target on the other side of 580 as opposed to having to drive on the surface street right next to the Outlets.

As others have pointed out it's generally fine during the week though, and we find ourselves shopping there once in a while. I will most certainly take an extra lap through the parking lot on the next visit to see if there is any construction started.

Swung over on my way back from Costco today and did a lap around the parking lot. I'm not the most observant person, but in the immediate mall circuit nothing going on other than a few random shipping-container looking things on the N/NW area of the lot that look like they've been there for a while.

Directly south across Jack London "the shoppes" are taking shape amongst major construction and look like they'll be ready before too long. Directly east on the other side of the "Livermore Outlets Dr" access road they've also broken ground on the republic development. Perhaps they're going to use one of those sides for the chargers since they're all torn up now anyway? There are sidewalks and obvious pedestrian crossings I would almost rather they put them there not directly in the line of fire of the super crowded outlet parking lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
"Tesla always puts the pin at the center of the city until they open the supercharger, a lot of times because when they first put the pin down they dont know the exact location"

FWIW, it's probably their mapping software doing this. If Tesla's database just shows the location as "Livermore, CA, US", mapping software usually defaults to either the city center or city hall, depending on the city.

Drove by the SF Outlet Mall in Livermore Tuesday, Sept 11, and saw this equipment parked next to a fenced off area of the parking lot. Could this be for our superchargers? Could be. Can be found near the children's playground with the dinosaur theme. North East corner of the complex.

Ding ding ding.
BE6CD4A2-243F-4906-A107-2735A3C1DA9E.jpeg
0DD62A07-ACAA-44F7-8820-A05F5BFFC2F3.jpeg
29FE470B-E291-497C-90D2-204C78213343.jpeg
EED2650C-7FAF-4B9C-BA89-6C2425E0C94E.jpeg
C036D091-94FA-4B4D-B719-4EE809F4D0AB.jpeg
40D6DDAF-4E86-4D61-9B55-07BFBD4B0A7B.jpeg
B44C27C7-BC2B-4AB9-84CC-07D49FA9D79E.jpeg
4731BF02-1E0E-4674-B8AD-6664080AE4FB.jpeg
It is now definitely under construction. Parking lot is saw cut, torn up, transformer pads are in, switchgear is onsite. Workers said supercharger. Looks like they plan to move fast, big crew, lots of activity.

View attachment 343009 Not a lot of new action. Some digging, forming and piles of conduit.
Psst, construction crew: if this is actually a Tesla SuperCharger, then stocking piles of 4" pipe is the right act, and stocking anything less than 3" or 3.5"or 4" (check all your specs and deratings!) is the wrong act. Just saying. Lots of ditches in prior SuperCharger constructions have been torn up for bad piping (AFTER blacktop), and I gander that some of it had to do with pipe size (although I have never had proof; I heard one of them was due to improper fill/compaction/sinkage). Think gas station: huge pipes for huge filling up of cars fast, even though it's called "electricity"; this ain't no puny Level 2 charger, light post, or irrigation circuit. If you already know all this and just carry it Just In Time on your truck, feel free to ignore this rant ...

Reactions: silverwolfe08