Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Livermore, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2018, 20 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
36E04DE0-81BE-4B23-A0BB-3A6629A6C969.jpeg
00F520B3-2F2A-452F-B8C6-5A946CD7715B.jpeg
546F82AD-BB39-482B-9C35-2A3E9DA6F505.jpeg
AFFF7A96-C84C-4BCD-B0F3-D89A0D7F19C7.jpeg
CEAAE489-5CE9-45F4-B306-3558CA38C1ED.jpeg

I didn’t have a real clear view but I snapped these pictures a few minutes ago. I can’t see much hugely different from the last set of pictures.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Darksoldier360
This seems very strange indeed. That conduit layout and those crates don’t look like anything I’ve seen before. I wonder if this is something new, or if this is a combo site or maybe an electrify America site? Tesla typically uses square d panel boards and the crates would have a red t stenciled on them...

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
It looks a lot like the Electrify America site I found at an outlet mall in North Bend, WA.

Initially I thought it was a supercharger construction (even started a thread for it rather embarrassingly), because it was clearly an EV charging installation and it was the same company working on it that built the Issaquah supercharger, but alas it was just an EA site. I went back yesterday (about a month after I originally found it) and it looks like it's going to be 4 CCS/Chademo combo chargers. When I initially discovered it, it looked a lot like the pictures above.

Thing about this is the permit is for a 20 stall Tesla supercharger with 10 charging cabinets, and there appear to be 10 cabinet size crates. I suspect it’s still a supercharger, but perhaps Tesla has changed something...

Thing about this is the permit is for a 20 stall Tesla supercharger with 10 charging cabinets, and there appear to be 10 cabinet size crates. I suspect it’s still a supercharger, but perhaps Tesla has changed something...

Yeah, I thought it was odd when I was there that there was nothing at all that had the Tesla logo or the word “Tesla” on it, but as you pointed out the scale is about right for a Supercharger of that size.

Bruce.

There is definitely going to be an electrify america site there as well, but the scale on this is more in line with the 20 stall supercharger that the permit is issued for to Tesla for the same site. It looks like 10 charger cabinets, 10 buck/boost transformers (smaller crates) and a large set of panel-boards/switch-gear. The pavement was saw cut for 20 or so pedestals when i was there. It would be good if someone can check the tesla permit and see if there are any inspections filed (or if theres also another permit for electrify america at the same address...). Also if someone can go take some more pictures (close ups of the charger crates including any labels would be awesome).

Also if someone can go take some more pictures (close ups of the charger crates including any labels would be awesome).

Sorry, the last three photos I took were all aim-the-phone-over-the-fence shots, and that was as close as I could get. My son was cringing that I was even doing that much. :)

Bruce.

Ok... so I just got back from a trip to see what this thing is... I took a bunch of pictures I’ll upload shortly. Drumrolll please... it’s both a supercharger and an electrify America site. Equipment for both is clearly onsite and the conduit runs for the Tesla side are also now in. Not sure if it’s two contractors or one, but they are clearly both going in and both at about the same stage. Supercharger might be slightly ahead. Hard to tell in the dark.

Crate that says dc supercharge is Tesla and one of many at one end of site. Square d panel board there as well. Standard supercharger stuff. The other end has the crate that says alto on top with an ABB label. ABB makes the chargers for electrify America. Also there charging pedestals in the smaller horizontal crates. These are at the opposite end of the site from the Tesla stuff and the conduit at that end has a different configuration then the Tesla side.

This picture is of the Tesla side:
60DBF0E8-80A5-4D35-A444-4C7693EBC9B7.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and bmah
Thanks for the update! I wonder if this is the first location to include both Tesla Superchargers and electrify America chargers?

I am amused by the difference between a Supercharger pedestal which needs no digital display or interface (all the complexity is hidden from the user, it’s just “plug and charge”) and the electrify America interface (which of course does have to service multiple manufacturers and “dumb” EVs that are not connected to the internet).

I suspect it is, certainly the first one thats constructed at the same time. Best part is those with Chademo can still use the Electrify America stations if the SC is full or otherwise down (obviously for $$$). If Tesla ever does a CCS solution, then we'd even be able to charge at more then the 50KW chademo max. All chargers are good.

New style of supercharger?!
Looks minimalistic, functional, with no extra frills.
Thanks for the pics...

Those are the Urban Superchargers. Several Bay Area locations have them, including Daly City, San Carlos, and East Palo Alto. Slightly different charging characteristics (max 72 kW, but unaffected by any car in a paired stall) compared to the original Superchargers you may be used to.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: KSG-P85DL+