Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Livermore, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2018, 20 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went by on Tuesday evening, at that time that online screen showed 16 of 20 available. Today we too saw that Tesla no longer is showing availability of stalls at the outlet. They should include a warning about black Friday shoppers inundating the roadways nearby. Saw several iced cars parking in charging stations despite the signage.
I was there during the mad rush startat 2:15 Thanksgiving. All of the mall parking was full and they were directing people to overflow parking. No ICE with open Tesla stalls. There were some cars parked at the EA stalls but these were clearly non-functional and no signage

Went by this morning at about 7:30 AM. Mall was closed, just workers cleaning up and removing trash and all so no ICEing. But these spots look to be prime ICEd spots although the Electrify America ones are going to get it worse since they are closer. Nav display was showing the number of stalls again this morning. I also noticed it shows that the idle fee is $0.40 per minute here. Most places it seems to be $1.00 per minute so that was new to me. I was the only car there for about 18 minutes, then one more Tesla pulled in. Left after 21 minutes.

I took one for the team and went during black Friday around 1pm mayhem. 6/20 stalls available, no ICEing and got 66-70kW while having a sandwich. Yes the in-car stalls display was broke most of the afternoon, so I gambled.

But the slots are very tight getting into, not width, but distance to opposite slots, and with many ICE cars all searching for parking. Thn-e worst access ever. But for non-business hours or weekdays, its going to be great!

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I was there this evening, Cyber Monday. 4 of 20 Tesla spots in use, none ICEd. There are 20 Electrify America charging spots closer to the mall itself, not yet operational. The only car parked in one was a Model S. There are also 2 free Level II chargers installed by Tesla and with Tesla connectors (not J1772). Neither was ICEd. All of these are on the back, inconvenient side of the mall (nearest to The North Face). Some of the EA chargers are rated at 350kW, and the rest at 150kW.

Note that these are 73 kW Urban Superchargers, not 120 kW "regular" Superchargers. No worries about sharing a charge, but a lower max.

I was there this evening, Cyber Monday. 4 of 20 Tesla spots in use, none ICEd. There are 20 Electrify America charging spots closer to the mall itself, not yet operational. The only car parked in one was a Model S. There are also 2 free Level II chargers installed by Tesla and with Tesla connectors (not J1772). Neither was ICEd. All of these are on the back, inconvenient side of the mall (nearest to The North Face). Some of the EA chargers are rated at 350kW, and the rest at 150kW.

Note that these are 73 kW Urban Superchargers, not 120 kW "regular" Superchargers. No worries about sharing a charge, but a lower max.
I noticed that the Tesla chargers are still labeled A and B. But not paired?

I noticed that the Tesla chargers are still labeled A and B. But not paired?
Technically they are still paired. A single supercharger cabinet still serves 2 stalls, even in Urban style installations. It's just that the way the power is split is different. Here each stall gets allotted a maximum of 72 kW and it doesn't matter whether anyone is in the "other" stall. You'll always pull the max that your SOC and conditions allow up to the ceiling of 72 kW. But even so, the markings are still useful for maintenance because if there's a problem with a cabinet or other back-end hardware it will affect both down stream charging posts. So being able to easily identify which posts are paired in the field without having to refer to site blueprints is worthwhile.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell and mspohr
Charged today 10:30am, no problems with ICE. Around seven Teslas charging. Parking lot not congested. A Tesla technician was there charging his "Tesla Service" vehicle. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. His explanation of the 72kw charging corresponded with the explanations above. Charging goes quickly enough at ~70 kw.
The "Electrify America" contractors were there with final work. When asked when they will be ready, they replied, "...very soon."

It's gonna suck when other EVs are charging faster than the Teslas at the superhcarger!

i charged up yesterday. i think it is only 72. i did not see the charge go over 71 and i got there with only 10% battery left.

I do find that the charge rate (miles & kw) on these is lower compared to non-urban chargers. If I get close to 72kW, then my rate is usually in the 220-240mi/hr range. However, the two times I charged here, I was getting closer to 40-50kw at the start and around 150mi/hr. Not sure if it's to protect the battery or something else, but it is noticeable.

I do find that the charge rate (miles & kw) on these is lower compared to non-urban chargers. If I get close to 72kW, then my rate is usually in the 220-240mi/hr range. However, the two times I charged here, I was getting closer to 40-50kw at the start and around 150mi/hr. Not sure if it's to protect the battery or something else, but it is noticeable.
Yes urban super chargers are limited to 72kW max

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq

The idea is you are supposed to shop and spend money. Slower charging => more shopping.

7231284E-6C42-4A62-9F02-07C66E9D180C.jpeg
Stopped by the other day...not sure if this charging station is at full or half capacity...

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq