TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Livermore (LIVE 21 Nov 2018)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by pkodali, May 27, 2018.

1. Willy3988

Willy3988 Member

#121 Willy3988, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    5 pm Saturday night . 4 spaces ICED. 2 M3s not plugged in.
    Only two available spaces so don't depend on the screen nav for correct numbers.

• Informative x 2
  2. smwcom

smwcom New Member

All charging stations are completed with the only problem, None will fit out Tesla Cars
    All are Euro Connectors like in the model 3 now scheduled to ship in Europe
    Anybody have ideas? Is Tesla going the standardized route now

3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

Those aren't the Tesla Superchargers. This mall has both Superchargers and an install by Electrify America (EA) of CCS or dual CCS/CHAdeMO EV Charging Stations (EVCS). The EA charging stations will obviously have limited utility for Tesla owners as there is only a single CHAdeMO connector that Model S/X could use if they have an adapter. But since there's a Supercharger anyways, I don't know way any of them would bother. Plus there are some Tesla Destination Chargers over there as well. Though given recent news re: Model 3 charging port in Europe, IMO, it's likely that Tesla will come out with a CCS adapter before too long. So, at that point Teslas may benefit a bit.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

There are also EVgo fast charging stations at two different locations at that outlet mall.

5. CeruleanWombat

CeruleanWombat New Member

I was there this evening, Cyber Monday. 4 of 20 Tesla spots in use, none ICEd. There are 20 Electrify America charging spots closer to the mall itself, not yet operational. The only car parked in one was a Model S. There are also 2 free Level II chargers installed by Tesla and with Tesla connectors (not J1772). Neither was ICEd. All of these are on the back, inconvenient side of the mall (nearest to The North Face). Some of the EA chargers are rated at 350kW, and the rest at 150kW.

Note that these are 73 kW Urban Superchargers, not 120 kW "regular" Superchargers. No worries about sharing a charge, but a lower max.

• Informative x 2
  6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I noticed that the Tesla chargers are still labeled A and B. But not paired?

7. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

Technically they are still paired. A single supercharger cabinet still serves 2 stalls, even in Urban style installations. It's just that the way the power is split is different. Here each stall gets allotted a maximum of 72 kW and it doesn't matter whether anyone is in the "other" stall. You'll always pull the max that your SOC and conditions allow up to the ceiling of 72 kW. But even so, the markings are still useful for maintenance because if there's a problem with a cabinet or other back-end hardware it will affect both down stream charging posts. So being able to easily identify which posts are paired in the field without having to refer to site blueprints is worthwhile.

• Informative x 2
  8. utvol3287

utvol3287 Member

i charged up yesterday. i think it is only 72. i did not see the charge go over 71 and i got there with only 10% battery left.

9. nogasoline16

nogasoline16 Member

Charged today 10:30am, no problems with ICE. Around seven Teslas charging. Parking lot not congested. A Tesla technician was there charging his "Tesla Service" vehicle. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. His explanation of the 72kw charging corresponded with the explanations above. Charging goes quickly enough at ~70 kw.
    The "Electrify America" contractors were there with final work. When asked when they will be ready, they replied, "...very soon."

10. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

It's gonna suck when other EVs are charging faster than the Teslas at the superhcarger!

• Funny x 3
  11. RedMatador

RedMatador Member

12/2 ard 3:45pm... worse than iced is when 3 Teslas parked on charging spots without charging...

• Like x 3
  12. turtlebud

turtlebud Member

I do find that the charge rate (miles & kw) on these is lower compared to non-urban chargers. If I get close to 72kW, then my rate is usually in the 220-240mi/hr range. However, the two times I charged here, I was getting closer to 40-50kw at the start and around 150mi/hr. Not sure if it's to protect the battery or something else, but it is noticeable.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yes urban super chargers are limited to 72kW max

• Informative x 1
  14. Darksoldier360

Yeah, def people using this as perfered parking instead of charging. Also saw at least one person drop a car, plug it in and then leave in another waiting car... seems like some of the unique behavior from Dublin is occurring here...

15. turtlebud

turtlebud Member

Yeah, I know - I was trying to say that I haven't been able to get 72kW on these chargers.

16. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

There are 20 Supercharger spaces but only 10 Electrify America spaces.

The Electrify America area is now open and available for use. All 10 spaces support up to 150 kW CCS but two of those support up to 350 kW CCS. One space supports CHAdeMO up to 50 kW (100 kW future).

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  18. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I parked their the other night and went shopping. Paid a lot for that charging sessions, but I guess that is the idea!

In addition to the 20 Urban Superchargers they had the 12 Electrify America chargers powered up. Looked like a guy was working on them. These are the coolest looking chargers at night!!!

elec-America-charger-small.jpg

• Like x 2
  19. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

The idea is you are supposed to shop and spend money. Slower charging => more shopping.

20. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Can someone take a picture of the EA CCS chargers?