TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger Locations UK

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by jontracey, Nov 16, 2013.

1. jontracey

jontracey Member

With the recent announcement from Tesla that the first supercharger in the UK will be up and running next quarter does anyone know where it will be, also where do people think others should be located for maximum effect.

With the current CHAdeMO network for Leaf drivers taking shape there are obvious bias towards M1/M6 and a huge hole up the eastern A1 Route, would love to see a supercharger located somewhere on the east of the country.

Also somewhere around Dorchester that would make the jump from London to devon/Cornwall easier.\

Thoughts ?

2. nwarddrfc

nwarddrfc Member

I would guess the first would be around london maybe watford area i guess then it would follow the sales/service centres so may go :-

Manchester
    Edinburgh
    Newcastle
    Nottingham
    Bristol

Then as the model s becomes more popular fill in the gaps like Leeds, Norwich, Dover, Hull, Southampton,Liverpool, Exeter Birmingham etc

3. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

I would definitely expect Tebay services on the M6 to get superchargers. They currently have a Roadster charger and offer high quality food etc (for a service station) which fits in with Tesla's mindset.

That would open up Scotland to areas from the midlands and a bit further south, with Glasgow and Edinburgh around 135 miles away.

South of that I expect many service stations between major cities. I guess we are fairly easy to cater for compared to the US/Europe as everything is relatively close together.

I suspect the A1/Eastern corridor would be at a later date once again with M6/M74 coming first.

4. jontracey

jontracey Member

Rather than locate them in cities wouldnt it make more sense to put them 150-200 miles outside (between), and then use type 2 charging at destinations, eg rather than one in london birmingham and manchester, put them equid distant between them

5. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

yes they'll definitely be along the major roads/motorways, not in cities. Perhaps one day you might find the in cities for people to use the way they use petrol stations if you have street parking and no possibility of a home charger. However, that will be very low priority/never happen.

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

7. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

Yeah, I suspect superchargers eventually every 100mi or so up the M40/M6/M74 :)

8. Lokolo

Lokolo Member

Fingers crossed for my favourite services, Warwick!

9. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#9 malcolm, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Would need two - one northbound, another for southbound. At either Cherwell Valley or Oxford a single setup could be accessed from either. Or they could go for Beconsfield - assuming traffic comes through the Channel Tunnel and across from Kent (it's got a pub!).

10. jontracey

jontracey Member

Looking at the motorway map one at the m1/m6/a14 junction would be accessible and centrally placed for a lot of journeys

11. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

If you look at the Tesla EU Supercharger page, it looks like the M4, M5 & M40 are getting coverage by the end of next year.

12. jontracey

jontracey Member

Not sure that map is accurate

13. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

It shows their intentions, and is pretty accurate for the rest of Europe. With the first cars coming in 3-4 months, I would hope that they will be starting to build pretty soon, so if anyone sees anything that might be a supercharger being installed, especially if it's on the M4/M5/M40 then please post...

14. jontracey

jontracey Member

The guys at the London store said they expected the first one to be up and running my march

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

If you look at the supercharger page, the coverage in the British Isles is roughly on the EU's TEN-T routes, so I wonder if they are getting any funding through that method?

16. jontracey

jontracey Member

if they were getting funding from the EU wouldnt they have to comply to EU standards and be available to car makes as well ?

17. jontracey

jontracey Member

So, given the model s in Europe has a standard type 2 connector do you think superchargers will work,with other types of cars, or is there something in the charger software that authenticates the car type ?

18. Daniel 74

Daniel 74 Active Member

They don't work with model s's which don't have supercharging enabled, so they surely won't work with other types of cars.

By the way: the two operating superchargers in the netherlands work fine!

19. jontracey

jontracey Member

Daniel whats the process to use a supercharger ?

Does it just work when you plug in or are there controls on the unit you have to operate to start the charge etc ?

20. Gerardf

Gerardf Active Member

Just plug in. No controls at all.