Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Locations UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, given the model s in Europe has a standard type 2 connector do you think superchargers will work,with other types of cars, or is there something in the charger software that authenticates the car type ?

There is something which authenticates the car, but also Tesla are using the Type 2 to deliver high power DC and at the moment there is no other car using standard Type 2 for DC at all. BMW are using the CCS version with the two extra pins - when I spoke to them they were seemingly unaware that the "DC-mid" version of Type 2 existed, yet alone sending 22kW and 43kW AC through the plug (a la Zoe).

I had a test drive yesterday at London Store. Asked about delivers and supercharger locations. Answers are :- deliveries start in April (no date given), superchargers - not all locations decided upon and do not know when they will start building - although they will all be complete by end of year.

It is possible. I know in the US that once permits have been granted that some sites has been up and running in 3 weeks. If they have to go through our planning approval system then it could take months just to get approval and then months to get connected. Who knows

On the EU continent Tesla seems to have a deal with Autogrill. They have a lot of restaurants along the highway's. You should look for sites which can easilly be reached from both sides of the highway with enough parking place where they can use mostly 8 for supercharging. Preferably choice for 2 or more restaurants and a hotel within walking distance.

The guys at Transport Evolved have a spy shot of two units under construction:

SpyShots: Teslas First UK Model S Supercharger Site

IMG_1672.jpg

Yes I suppose if there are already large enough ducts in place, and there's capacity to add a new 200A 3-phase supply to each supercharger station then it's actually a pretty simple install - pull the cable, concrete in the base, connect up 5 cores, bolt everything together and then watch the meter numbers whizz round.

South Mimms is about 40 miles from me and I'm almost tempted to go over and sneak a peak under the covers...

I just happened to be passing when I read about this, so I did sneak a peek under the covers. More discussion in this thread:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30148-First-UK-Superchargers-South-Mimms?p=636021&viewfull=1#post636021

I too decided to take a sneaky visit to South Mimms location just 15 minutes ago, ie, midnight.

Under the cover of darkness, wearing sunglasses, false nose and moustache, I tippytoed across the car park and snuck up behind one of the suspiciously supercharger-shaped covers .. did a cursory check on security guards as well as hoping to avoid the Leaf owner returning to his car .. and whipped off the cover. Well, lifted it a couple of feet ..

Unfortunately, nothing much seems to have happened since a couple of weeks ago :wink: and the covers merely conceal two metal posts and a 2 inch electrical conduit pipe coming up out the ground .. but it certainly looks like the frame work for an SC post !!

I caught up with my contact at Tesla today and UK supercharger locations were one of the subjects we covered. He confirmed that the South Mimms site is indeed a supercharger and that an "aggressive" rollout was planned across the country, although no further specifics were forthcoming, this sounds like good news.