Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Locations UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the launch today..

There is some new news in the press release. The Crystal SC is not temporary - it is the first of Tesla's inner city superchargers. They are planning to roll them out round London. This is absolutely fantastic news - free fuel 'forever' and no congestion charge makes owning a Model S in London extremely attractive, even a basic spec 60.

official 1st uk supercharger.

New information from Canary Wharf MotorExpo
I was there today to take a drive in the right hand drive car. I was not disappointed, it is a really great RHD conversion. Anyway, I digress. While I was there some laminated sheets arrived that show the very latest Supercharger programme and I was able to take some quick photos on my phone. My Tesla contact said that Elon was fired up about the UK market and had approved significant investment in the network, these sheets apparently represent the plan as at today.

With apologies for the quality of the photos, I had some fun trying to figure out the locations on the basis that if it's a motorway service area, it needs to be a single sided one to avoid the need to double up on investment.

It's notable that the unit at the M25/A1 South Mimms services is not on any of these maps.

So, let's start guessing!

IMG_1849.jpg

September 2014
1. The Crystal, London Docklands (confirmed by Elon at his presentation on Saturday 7th June)
2. Folkestone, near the Channel Tunnel terminus or Stop 24 Services on the M20
3. Chieveley Services, Junction 13 on the M4 with the A34
4. Bristol, Gordano Services at the M4/M5 junction

IMG_1851.jpg

December 2014
5. Portsmouth, around A3/M27 Junction, location unknown
6. Exeter, Exeter Services M5 Junction 30
7. South Birmingham, Hopwood Park Services M42 Junction 2
8. North Birmingham, Newton Canes Services M6 toll road
9. Warrington, Burton Wood Services M62/M56 Junction 8 and 9
10. Harrogate, A1M Junction 46
11. Edinburgh, airport, town centre or Kinross Services on the M90

IMG_1853.jpg

December 2015
12. Brighton, town centre or Pease Pottage Services M23 Junction 11
13. Newquay, Cornwall, location unknown
14. Norwich, town centre?
15. Cambridge, Cambridge Services A1416.
16. Dumfries and Galloway, Gretna Green Services M74 Junction 21-22
17. Durham Services, A1M Junction 61
18. Glasgow, airport or city centre
19. Aberdeen, location unknown

Southern Ireland
20. Dublin, location unknown
21. Galway, location unknown
22. Cork, location unknown

Those are my guesses, I look forward to seeing some other options/responses.
Looks good, don't you think?

New information from Canary Wharf MotorExpo
I was there today to take a drive in the right hand drive car. I was not disappointed, it is a really great RHD conversion. Anyway, I digress. While I was there some laminated sheets arrived that show the very latest Supercharger programme and I was able to take some quick photos on my phone. My Tesla contact said that Elon was fired up about the UK market and had approved significant investment in the network, these sheets apparently represent the plan as at today.

With apologies for the quality of the photos, I had some fun trying to figure out the locations on the basis that if it's a motorway service area, it needs to be a single sided one to avoid the need to double up on investment.

It's notable that the unit at the M25/A1 South Mimms services is not on any of these maps.

So, let's start guessing!

View attachment 51226
September 2014
1. The Crystal, London Docklands (confirmed by Elon at his presentation on Saturday 7th June)
2. Folkestone, near the Channel Tunnel terminus or Stop 24 Services on the M20
3. Chieveley Services, Junction 13 on the M4 with the A34
4. Bristol, Gordano Services at the M4/M5 junction

View attachment 51227
December 2014
5. Portsmouth, around A3/M27 Junction, location unknown
6. Exeter, Exeter Services M5 Junction 30
7. South Birmingham, Hopwood Park Services M42 Junction 2
8. North Birmingham, Newton Canes Services M6 toll road
9. Warrington, Burton Wood Services M62/M56 Junction 8 and 9
10. Harrogate, A1M Junction 46
11. Edinburgh, airport, town centre or Kinross Services on the M90

View attachment 51228
December 2015
12. Brighton, town centre or Pease Pottage Services M23 Junction 11
13. Newquay, Cornwall, location unknown
14. Norwich, town centre?
15. Cambridge, Cambridge Services A1416.
16. Dumfries and Galloway, Gretna Green Services M74 Junction 21-22
17. Durham Services, A1M Junction 61
18. Glasgow, airport or city centre
19. Aberdeen, location unknown

Southern Ireland
20. Dublin, location unknown
21. Galway, location unknown
22. Cork, location unknown

Those are my guesses, I look forward to seeing some other options/responses.
Looks good, don't you think?

Good intel and worth having inside information and not the speil from salesforce. Early April when I placed order for 2 Model S's I was told all Superchargers in place from South Coast to Manchester.

Has anyone visited the Royal Victoria Docks supercharger ? Is the one they had for the launch event still operational while they finalise the definitive ones on the other side of the place ?

Right now the Tesla site mentions "Temporarily offline during relocation"

Royal Victoria Docks Supercharger | Tesla Motors
I was planning to drive by in a couple of weeks to see the location and use it if it is up and running.

I now have something to ponder... I take delivery Aug/Sept of mine, unfortunately being up north there's no supercharger at the time. By December there's one less than 5 miles drive from my home or about 5 mins out of my way on the drive home. Am I going to supercharge and almost never pay for fuelling my car again?

My Tesla contact seemed to think that always using a Supercharger would compromise battery life in the long run. It might be worth seeing if there is another thread about this on the forum. Then again, free sounds good doesn't it? even if you're a soft southerner like me.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the maps I posted above were published in Autocar today

Well everything will compromise battery life in "the long run".

Elon has been very clear that people should Supercharge as much as they like, without fear. The reason they're putting inner city superchargers in in London is for people who don't have off street parking, so they are clearly envisaging a type of Model S owner who only ever uses a Supercharger.

As I understand the issue the main problem for supercharging is the heating of the battery while charging which would reduce the efficiency over time. However, the liquid cooling of the batteries removes this from the problem and so there should be no long term impacts from charging.

The real question is... can I really be bothered going? I'll spend the cost saved on a coffee while I wait, but after a long drive with not much charge left it's a great boost to help get back to full if I have a short charge period available. 7KW will give me 135miles in 6 hours, so a short boost from an SC could be good if I have a second long drive with little rest time at home.

Has anyone noticed the map here:

Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Are there superchargers about to arrive in these locations?

Well spotted!!

The Edinburgh Airport one on that map corresponds to the site someone has found, but the other new sites look like the markers aren't accurately placed. Clicking on the markers reveals names "xxx supercharger" and stall counts, just like the main location map (with "stalls: 1" for the ones that aren't built yet, as usual).

Picadilly SuperCharger: could be anywhere. Any likely public carparks around there?

Newbury Supercharger: the marker is close to Chieveley services (M4 J13): the service area itself is an Ecotricity location so presumably barred, but there's several other possibilities round that junction - there's a Hilton hotel, and there's the Newbury Showground on the other side of the M4.

Bristol Supercharger: the marker is in a field next to the M4/M5 junction so presumably not exactly there, but lots of possible places around M5 J16 just south of the marker - including another Hilton.

Folkestone Supercharger: not so clear this one - the marker is by the M20 half way between junctions 10 and 11 (which are a long way apart)

I wonder whether this one is at Maidstone Services? I think it's only Welcome Break where Ecotricity has a lockup isn't it? so other service stations could be possible.

Ecotricity are also at Maidstone, though I've no idea how many of their deals with the site-owning groups are exclusive.

However, Maidstone would seem an odd place to put one titled "Folkestone Supercharger" - the name suggests it's east of Ashford at least.

Might possibly be a deal with Eurotunnel, though if so you would have thought they would have put it on the French side where Eurotunnel have much more land.

Confirmed new locations at Edinburgh Airport (2 bays) and a site in Reading near to the M4 (4 bays). Both showing as live on the official supercharger page already.

The Reading one has not replaced the "Newbury Supercharger" shown on the map though; it's in addition to these.