Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - London, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No change. I’ve been told work on this site has been brought to a halt. Photo by Tesla London on Twitter
6C1A9F2F-C60C-4E7E-944F-FC394DDDD8A0.jpeg

Has anyone driven by lately to see if there is further progression? This SC is taking forever lol

Great thread! I drive from Windsor to the Toronto area quite often, and I have considered getting a CHAdeMO so I can charge at the Petro Can north of London. After finding this thread, I will hold off on purchasing the adapter, as this is a perfect location for me to charge in the winter.

Any update? I assume that this location won't be open for some time? A few people on this thread said that it normally takes 3 months for installations to take place?

Reactions: cdswm3
Great thread! I drive from Windsor to the Toronto area quite often, and I have considered getting a CHAdeMO so I can charge at the Petro Can north of London. After finding this thread, I will hold off on purchasing the adapter, as this is a perfect location for me to charge in the winter.

Any update? I assume that this location won't be open for some time? A few people on this thread said that it normally takes 3 months for installations to take place?

I usually stop for 10 mins at both Comber and Woodstock weekly. This will eliminate that!

True, but that is at the very left tail of the distribution. I would say average construction time is around 3 months. That can also depend on responsiveness of the local electrical utility.

The utility usually isn't the problem. In fact, they are legally obligated to connect in a timely fashion. From the Ontario Electricity Distribution System Code:

7.2.2 A connection for a new service request for a high voltage (>750 volts) service must be completed within 10 business days from the day on which all applicable service conditions are satisfied, or at such later date as agreed to by the customer and distributor.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
The utility usually isn't the problem. In fact, they are legally obligated to connect in a timely fashion. From the Ontario Electricity Distribution System Code:

7.2.2 A connection for a new service request for a high voltage (>750 volts) service must be completed within 10 business days from the day on which all applicable service conditions are satisfied, or at such later date as agreed to by the customer and distributor.
I just about spit out my drink when I saw this. We waited for nearly 8 weeks to get Hydro1 out to put in a new pad mount transformer AFTER everything was ready, and the contractor contacted them. They were just plain rude with me when I tried to follow up with them. They never gave me an explanation as to why it took so long - It wasn't an unusual transformer size (50KVA).

I just about spit out my drink when I saw this. We waited for nearly 8 weeks to get Hydro1 out to put in a new pad mount transformer AFTER everything was ready, and the contractor contacted them. They were just plain rude with me when I tried to follow up with them. They never gave me an explanation as to why it took so long - It wasn't an unusual transformer size (50KVA).

I'm somewhat surprised to hear this. Once you have a signed Offer to Connect and you have your ESA Connection Authorization, the connection time limit applies. There are even timelines on how long a utility has to respond to initial requests, prepare the Offer and so forth, all codified in the Regulations.

It sounds like you would have had a very good case for compensation or other resolution from the Ontario Energy Board. Did you file a complaint? Distribution utilities' licences hinge on compliance with these and other rules.

So if this is the case, what do you think the bottleneck is, and when do you think it will be up and running? I understand that this is a complete guess, and I won't quote you on it lol

So if this is the case, what do you think the bottleneck is, and when do you think it will be up and running? I understand that this is a complete guess, and I won't quote you on it lol
The old saying: "usually the bottleneck is at the top of the bottle" applies here. Super chargers are done on Tesla time. Tesla won't tell you exactly when and where they will put them (We generally scout them out), and they tend to send their installation crews to multiple sites. They are flipped on at random;), sometimes in series, sometimes stand alone.

Read all of the posts about the SC along the trans-Canada highway. Some of the SC have been ready for months (eg North Bay). It appears that Tesla may turn them on in waves.

I just don’t buy this theory of “lighting it all at once for some big media blitz”. People keep pushing that forward as the theory for all the delays when the reality is simply that it’s tesla and delays are delays. I would be very surprised if they were holding back opening stations for some “stringed” release. They are probably trying to work east to west from Ontario and west to east from Calgary, but I expect them to open stations as soon as they are ready, not months later just for some supposed media blitz.

Plus the original statement was “it appears Tesla may turn them on in waves”. Appears based on what? That implies some kind of precedent. And my point is that there isn’t any.

Agree, the only wave is the fact that they might have one team that drives along the TCH doing final QA, and they would be not be able to be in all places at the same time.

Reactions: lensovet and Chuq
Plus the original statement was “it appears Tesla may turn them on in waves”. Appears based on what? That implies some kind of precedent. And my point is that there isn’t any.
A couple of years ago, we had THE Tesla tech who was responsible for energizing all of the Canadian Super Chargers, at our Tesla club meeting. He stated that Tesla *preferred* to send him out and commission multiple (more than 1) sites, if possible. He told us this, as he had to get on a plane to "Quebec" that evening, then he was heading to another site to do the same. I do not recall which site, but the Quebec one was the Levis or Laval Supercharger (age - hinders memory). He only told us because it was going to be up the next day, and it was. It's the only time that a Tesla rep ever spilled the beans to us.
That's why I speculate (yes, speculate) that the TC highway might be done in waves

Reactions: DrinkMonkey