Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - London, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Superchargers are installed. But not online as of yet.

Photo taken by @TeslaLondon

Attachments

• C5977C62-AB61-4F68-B748-9DE2603EC76F.jpeg
    C5977C62-AB61-4F68-B748-9DE2603EC76F.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 171
Where are you seeing that V3s are proving to be inefficient in the cold? Is this maybe because of lack of preconditioning?
The fact that a bunch of the new V3 Superchargers installed on the TCan weren't working when that severe cold snap hit a couple of weeks ago. And apparently some of them still aren't working properly. Perhaps Tesla doesn't have much experience with -40 temps.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
The fact that a bunch of the new V3 Superchargers installed on the TCan weren't working when that severe cold snap hit a couple of weeks ago. And apparently some of them still aren't working properly. Perhaps Tesla doesn't have much experience with -40 temps.
They've had superchargers throughout Scandinavia and the northern US for years so it's not like this is their first experience with cold temperatures. The v3s have been mediocre everywhere so they are definitely having issues with the rollout. North Bend, WA has temps above freezing the vast majority of the time and probably hasn't gone any lower than -5C this winter and its performance has also been far below expectation. It's mostly worked with some consistency but the charge rates have been inconsistent and have probably averaged about the same as a v2 supercharger.

So I think it's fair to say that the v3 rollout has been crappy, but saying that it's due to cold weather is just speculation. I'm sure the cold isn't helping, but not convinced that it is a primary culprit.

• Informative
Reactions: Anto and Goggs

Oh ok so nothing that will really impact London. I was wondering if you had read something about charging times being impacted by cold weather.

They've had superchargers throughout Scandinavia and the northern US for years so it's not like this is their first experience with cold temperatures. The v3s have been mediocre everywhere so they are definitely having issues with the rollout. North Bend, WA has temps above freezing the vast majority of the time and probably hasn't gone any lower than -5C this winter and its performance has also been far below expectation. It's mostly worked with some consistency but the charge rates have been inconsistent and have probably averaged about the same as a v2 supercharger.

So I think it's fair to say that the v3 rollout has been crappy, but saying that it's due to cold weather is just speculation. I'm sure the cold isn't helping, but not convinced that it is a primary culprit.
I don’t believe those are V3s though. I’m only aware of the V3 charger near Vegas for the US. The V3s in the praries are the only ones I’m aware of besides that, so I dunno if they got as much testing in cold as they needed.

I actually spoke with the lead hand they are V3 cabinets.
But I think this is referencing the statement from Plus EV saying that there have been SCs in Scandy countries and the US for years and then the respnse from Vawlkus. Surely the SCs installed in Norway several years ago are not V3?

The supposition is that V3 SCs can't handle very cold weather and that the first V3s installed in cold climates are the ones on the Trans Canada highway on the prairies and Northern Ontario that just opened in the last month or so.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I don’t believe those are V3s though. I’m only aware of the V3 charger near Vegas for the US. The V3s in the praries are the only ones I’m aware of besides that, so I dunno if they got as much testing in cold as they needed.
I agree that v3 is the issue moreso than cold temperatures. My point is, they do have experience in cold climates. And the v3s have performed poorly even in warmer climates.

But I think this is referencing the statement from Plus EV saying that there have been SCs in Scandy countries and the US for years and then the respnse from Vawlkus. Surely the SCs installed in Norway several years ago are not V3?
You are moving the goalposts here. I was responding to this quote from you: "Perhaps Tesla doesn't have much experience with -40 temps."

And like I said before, the v3s have also performed poorly in North Bend WA, Las Vegas, etc. It's a v3 issue more than a "Tesla has no experience with the cold" issue.

You are moving the goalposts here. I was responding to this quote from you: "Perhaps Tesla doesn't have much experience with -40 temps."

And like I said before, the v3s have also performed poorly in North Bend WA, Las Vegas, etc. It's a v3 issue more than a "Tesla has no experience with the cold" issue.
Just to clarify what I meant: Tesla May have experience with cold temps, but the V3 cabinet use a newer, liquid cooled charging cable. I have no trouble believing that that new feature may be an issue that Tesla needs to work on, as it could easily cause reduced charging rates in climate/temperature extremes.

Stopped by today and it doesn’t look like there has been much done lately. I’m guessing these are going to be a few more weeks. There are tubes coming out of the ground that aren’t connected to anything and a smaller empty cabinet to the right. I’m wondering if there is plans for the two stops to the right.

Attachments

• FAB4FEB6-20CD-4DD8-8A1A-E7AF8B437545.jpeg
    FAB4FEB6-20CD-4DD8-8A1A-E7AF8B437545.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 28DD60E3-57A4-427B-ACE4-47D6FA66A78E.jpeg
    28DD60E3-57A4-427B-ACE4-47D6FA66A78E.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 111
  • FE6C4390-3FF9-475C-BFEE-F73FAE2E2DBC.jpeg
    FE6C4390-3FF9-475C-BFEE-F73FAE2E2DBC.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP