Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - London, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Construction has apparently started on a new Supercharger in London, Ontario. The location is unknown at the moment, as no other information was given other than “London Ontario supercharger being built out currently. Concrete poured and conduit cables in.” ( @Ragnarok ). I’m creating the thread so it will draw more attention and maybe more Londoners might know of the construction (and please post anything you know here!!!). To follow.

Original post: Eastern Canada Superchargers

Reactions: JSergeant
I might have discovered the location. I messaged a M3 owner on PlugShare. He told me they were building what looks like a Supercharger in the McDonalds parking lot on Wellington (4350 Wellington Rd S, London ON N6E 2Z6, Canada). Could someone pass by here for pictures? (Google Street View)
D6C291C4-265C-4AA7-AAB7-C279201A233C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Assuming that this turns out to be correct this location is good for highway travellers as it is just off the 401, but it is not very good for any urban Tesla owners that need an SC occasionally as it is not centrally located.

I’m going to be in that end of town tomorrow evening, I’ll take a look and take some pictures if there’s anything there. A supercharger is supposed to be built in Strathroy eventually, but not in London. If a charging station is being built over there, I think it’s more likely that it’s Electrify Canada.

A supercharger is supposed to be built in Strathroy eventually, but not in London. If a charging station is being built over there, I think it’s more likely that it’s Electrify Canada.
Agreed. It is pretty rare for Tesla to build a SC that was not pre-announced. London is pretty grim for charging options. I occasionaly drive from Toronto to London and there aren't many options other than the Woodstock SC which you may have to stop at both ways in cold weather depending on the range that your vehicle has.

There is also Cambridge. When the weather is warm I can easily get from Toronto to London (my daughter is in Ivey), drive a little around London and then make it back to Cambridge with about 15% - 18% NOT driving conservatively. In the dead of winter, I will often bail out at Woodstock on the way home.

My trips to London are also often to Ivey. There is Cambridge but that is farther to come back to and it depends on your range. I have a P85D where my range in good weather is about 390km. And I live in Scaborough so that makes things a bit longer. My house to Ivey is 230km and it is another 60km back to Woodstock. That is normally doable with 100km of range left, but not so much in colder weather, especially if you do a bit of driving around.

This is definitely a Supercharger. The user I messaged yesterday got around to take a pic and said that this probably going to be a 12 stall station. He spoke to one of the engineers who couldn’t reveal any info because he signed an NDA. What the engineer did say was that construction would take 3 weeks! I will add this on Supercharge Info in about an hour’s time. (Photos by Baymax on PlugShare)
9BDED5FB-54C7-4C91-B9B9-4E3452AB000A.jpeg
C6EFD20D-8141-46B8-9948-810EBF5555E4.jpeg

Attachments

• CFC178C1-53FF-4C6C-ACB4-2C1F95313F48.jpeg
    CFC178C1-53FF-4C6C-ACB4-2C1F95313F48.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 168
  • C268B357-A4F3-466A-99C7-323C351B0A26.jpeg
    C268B357-A4F3-466A-99C7-323C351B0A26.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 157
This is definitely a Supercharger. The user I messaged yesterday got around to take a pic and said that this probably going to be a 12 stall station. He spoke to one of the engineers who couldn’t reveal any info because he signed an NDA. What the engineer did say was that construction would take 3 weeks! I will add this on Supercharge Info in about an hour’s time. (Photos by Baymax on PlugShare)
View attachment 462362View attachment 462363
Agree, Supercharger - those black posts will likely be filled with concrete and then painted red to match the style we've seen elsewhere, only question now is V2 vs. V3. I would guess V2, but counting the number of tube clusters and pads will say for sure. If there's a group of 6 in a line, V2; 3-4, V3.

If this is a SC then why only 12 units, especially when it is on a heavily travelled part of the 401. Most of the other 401 charging sites are fairly old and have 8 units. They should have done 20 on this site. Or maybe do another site in the city of London for urban chargers - like Masonville Mall as SCs are often found at Cadillac Fairview shopping malls.

Not for some of us!
People consistently fail to understand the major benefit of V3 superchargers when it comes to capacity and throughput. It isn't so much that some cars will get higher speeds. It's that you won't get throttled as much by being paired. While your specific model may not be able to take advantage of the 250 kW max, the big plus is that you aren't going to get stuck at 36 kW anymore. So, Yes! for you too.