Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - London, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a better location than Strathroy as this will be a good location from people going into London from Toronto. Toronto- London and back was right at the limit of my range in summer for my P85D so this is appreciated.
Helps with my trips to London and Windsor. I don’t mind the Woodstock SC because of all the friends we have there. Then pick up an order of the best Indian Cuisine from Tandoori Knight on Dundas St.

This is a better location than Strathroy as this will be a good location from people going into London from Toronto. Toronto- London and back was right at the limit of my range in summer for my P85D so this is appreciated.
There is also an Arbys
Masonville would be good or somewhere closer to the centre of the city that would work for urban folks who cannot have charging at home.
The only problem for those travelling it’s a real pain in the butt to get up to the north end then back down again. Some days it’s half hour each way and Tesla prefers to keep them close to major highways. I always wondered why the Tesla map said it would be in Strathroy, this makes much more sense. Only draw back is that I like Arbys which is across the road and Wellington is not the safest road to cross in that location.

63D5BB07-6F5A-483A-A360-905CBF9DA1F7.jpeg
Photo from Brad Thorpe

There is also an Arbys

The only problem for those travelling it’s a real pain in the butt to get up to the north end then back down again. Some days it’s half hour each way and Tesla prefers to keep them close to major highways. I always wondered why the Tesla map said it would be in Strathroy, this makes much more sense. Only draw back is that I like Arbys which is across the road and Wellington is not the safest road to cross in that location.

I'm guessing the Strathroy one will be build on Centre Rd right next to the Tim Hortons closest to the highway. They just announced a plan to build a Holiday Inn, Wendy's, gas station/convince store.

The best shopping and amenities is in the South of the city but is just so far away from the 402 I can't see it being build there. They could do exit 69 on Metcalf St, but even then theirs limited space and limited restaurants.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I'm guessing the Strathroy one will be build on Centre Rd right next to the Tim Hortons closest to the highway. They just announced a plan to build a Holiday Inn, Wendy's, gas station/convince store.
I am guessing that the Strathroy site was replaced with this site in London - just like the "Stardale" site between Ottawa and Montreal became Casselman

Reactions: cdswm3 and McFlurri
I agree for highway travellers, I am thinking that Masonville would be a second SC site in London and more for urban owners of Teslas that live in London. I am not as familiar with London these days (I lived there for most of 84-93 and spent quite a bit of time there from 1993-2007) but I would think that London condo dwellers and UWO students could use an SC. Charging in downtown London or on Richmond Row is almost non-existent and there are few L2 or L3 chargers in those areas or near UWO. Masonville would be more convenient for those folks.

It is not unusual for SCs to open during the winter. I believe that Sherway Gardens opened around Christmas time 2-3 years ago. I would think that it is far more likely that they would continue working on site in southern Ontario vs Northern Ontario or the prairies. The London site will be the second most southerly site in Canada (after Comber).

edit - Sherway(Etobicoke) went live around March 6, 2018. They did work on this site through the winter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NoBeard
I agree for highway travellers, I am thinking that Masonville would be a second SC site in London and more for urban owners of Teslas that live in London. I am not as familiar with London these days (I lived there for most of 84-93 and spent quite a bit of time there from 1993-2007) but I would think that London condo dwellers and UWO students could use an SC. Charging in downtown London or on Richmond Row is almost non-existent and there are few L2 or L3 chargers in those areas or near UWO. Masonville would be more convenient for those folks.
Masonville would be better for those of us who have summer places in Grand Bend or southern Lake Huron. The new SC location is nice but it is a slow long drive across the city to get to the beach

Reactions: ElectricCanuck
London to Grand Bend is about 70km. If you have home charging you don't even need to think about charging to get there and back. Especially since you are only going to do this trip in the summer.

Tesla made a big deal in 2017 about providing SCs for urban dwellers who don't have the ability to have home charging. It looks like that won't really come to London for a while. By the way, there are lots of other places that you could put SCs right in London - like the mall at Oxford and Highbury, Cherryhill Mall, Oxford and Wonderland, etc.

By the way here is that quote: (from Tesla is making a big expansion to its Supercharger network)
“To better serve the needs of owners who are traveling or those who don’t have access to reliable home charging, we will continue to aggressively expand our public charging networks,” the post reads. This suggests a change in policy for Tesla, which has, in the past, discouraged day-to-day use of Superchargers, saying instead that the system is meant for long-distance travel only.

London to Grand Bend is about 70km. If you have home charging you don't even need to think about charging to get there and back. Especially since you are only going to do this trip in the summer.

Also there's a handful of chargers in Exeter which can be on the way. I tried a bunch of them on the weekend. Hats off to Suntastic Hothouses for providing a free Tesla charger! Plus the ChaDeMo and J1772 chargers at Tim Hortons worked well. not all charging has to be Supercharging.

It has only been six weeks since this one was started, or at least spotted. Many of the other ones that are WIP were started WAY before that.

edit - For example the North Bay site was started around late May or early June. It is still not online although it seems that they are doing test charging and it should be ready to go any day now.

Last edited: