Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun California facts time! Mt. Whitney is the highest mountain in the contiguous United States and 22nd highest in North America.
Fun Fact: When I was in elementary school, Mt Whitney was the tallest mountain in the United States.
..... I'm guessing it sank. Thanks for the correction in the picture.

Yup... McKinley is now considered a molehill.
I love the Eastern Sierra. Travel there every chance I get. Beautiful mountains, desert. Lone Pine was my first Supercharger experience when I traveled from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas in February 2015 with my brand new Model S. Lone Pine was the ONLY Supercharger between Tahoe and Las Vegas. Full charge at home then just barely made it to Lone Pine on that charge (fortunately net down hill route) then though Death Valley to Las Vegas (another squeaker for range).
On the return trip we stayed in Death Valley and charged at Furnace Creek then also charged in Lone Pine and Minden to make it back up over Spooner Pass to the lake. Arrived home with 7 miles to spare! (in a snowstorm).

I love the Eastern Sierra. Travel there every chance I get. Beautiful mountains, desert. Lone Pine was my first Supercharger experience when I traveled from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas in February 2015 with my brand new Model S. Lone Pine was the ONLY Supercharger between Tahoe and Las Vegas. Full charge at home then just barely made it to Lone Pine on that charge (fortunately net down hill route) then though Death Valley to Las Vegas (another squeaker for range).
On the return trip we stayed in Death Valley and charged at Furnace Creek then also charged in Lone Pine and Minden to make it back up over Spooner Pass to the lake. Arrived home with 7 miles to spare! (in a snowstorm).
From Reno (which isn't far from Tahoe), I usually prefer heading east and go thru Hawthorne, NV, Tonopah, Beatty, then hit Las Vegas. Even when I travel to San Diego, I go thru Hawthorne on 95 then hit 6 back over to 395 on down to Lone Pine, etc. This route helps me avoid winter road issues and there are no charging issues either. I even prefer it in the summer months as no long boring highways with traffic and no grapevine with trucks. It's just my preference and everyone has choices.

From Reno (which isn't far from Tahoe), I usually prefer heading east and go thru Hawthorne, NV, Tonopah, Beatty, then hit Las Vegas. Even when I travel to San Diego, I go thru Hawthorne on 95 then hit 6 back over to 395 on down to Lone Pine, etc. This route helps me avoid winter road issues and there are no charging issues either. I even prefer it in the summer months as no long boring highways with traffic and no grapevine with trucks. It's just my preference and everyone has choices.
We've taken that route also. Beautiful Nevada. The Mizpah Hotel in Tonopah is a piece of history. Also, the International Car Forest of the Last Church

He didn't have those options in February 2015.

I didn't even get my Model 3 until 6/11/18 so I'm sure you're probably correct.
If you're ever curious about when certain superchargers opened, you can look up the opening dates on supercharge.info. I started following these forums in 2016 just before I got my first Tesla and I remember being surprised when superchargers opened in Hawthorne, Tonopah, and Beatty. At the time there were very few non-interstate routes that were covered and this isn't exactly a well-travelled US Highway (even though you and I both travel it a lot). It was around the time the Gigafactory in Sparks opened, and I couldn't help but thinking that was a factor.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Interestingly enough about this site, when I charged there last week, on a Thursday evening, I was the only car there, and I received an alert that charging would be restricted to 80% (which I could override if needed). Yet, when I was in Mojave just a couple hours earlier, every stall was taken and there was no such limitation.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Interestingly enough about this site, when I charged there last week, on a Thursday evening, I was the only car there, and I received an alert that charging would be restricted to 80% (which I could override if needed). Yet, when I was in Mojave just a couple hours earlier, every stall was taken and there was no such limitation.
Those alerts are location specific and have never taken into account how many stalls are in use. Would probably be a good idea though!