Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does everyone realize that this still won't allow for travel from SoCal to Yosemite/Mammoth without going 40 mph (except for maybe going way out of your way to charge in Barstow)?? Really annoying, terrible location.
I believe a Supercharger is slated for Bishop.

Lone Pine to Mammoth is only 100 miles, so I don't understand your issue. If you are going to Mammoth, you are likely staying there a day or two or three. Even charging with a 120v plug, you are putting back in 72 to 96 miles per day.

It is interesting how people's opinions about Supercharger location differ. I've been looking forward to Lone Pine for over two years! Many people, myself included, really enjoy the vicinity around Lone Pine itself and Death Valley which has 15-50 charging available. The beauty of the Owen's Valley is that it is an area of California that "time forgot". The exception is Mammoth which is built up tourism complete with chain stores and high density crowds--a place I'd rather stay away from.

Lone Pine to Mammoth is only 100 miles, so I don't understand your issue.
Agreed. Lone Pine to Mammoth is not an issue. Getting to Lone Pine for me definitely is. Going from Lone Pine to Yosemite would not be feasible. Lee Vining would solve that.

The exception is Mammoth which is built up tourism complete with chain stores and high density crowds--a place I'd rather stay away from.
I go to Mammoth for the mountain. I certainly do not go there for it's town!

Does everyone realize that this still won't allow for travel from SoCal to Yosemite/Mammoth without going 40 mph (except for maybe going way out of your way to charge in Barstow)?? Really annoying, terrible location.

Rancho Cucamonga -> Lone Pine is 194 miles, so doable in an 85 and the network will fill in over time. And wouldn't you just take the 5 from SoCal to Yosemite?

The concern here is Rancho to Lone Pine. Yes it's 194 miles...uphill. Driving highway speeds usually means actual (comfortable) range is closer to 200 miles in an 85, not 265, which means Rancho to Lone Pine would be extremely difficult in an 85 and impossible in a 60. I have 30k miles on my 85, so I'm speaking from experience here. No offense to gene, but most people aren't driving under the speed limit. This means Lone Pine is almost totally worthless because it'd be so difficult to make it there from most places you'd be starting from (SoCal).

Yes, Inyokern would help here, not sure if that's what the map is referencing. It's just frustrating, because it seems like a poor choice for a supercharger (or at least the first supercharger on that route).

The concern here is Rancho to Lone Pine. Yes it's 194 miles...uphill. Driving highway speeds usually means actual (comfortable) range is closer to 200 miles in an 85, not 265, which means Rancho to Lone Pine would be extremely difficult in an 85 and impossible in a 60. I have 30k miles on my 85, so I'm speaking from experience here. No offense to gene, but most people aren't driving under the speed limit. This means Lone Pine is almost totally worthless because it'd be so difficult to make it there from most places you'd be starting from (SoCal).

Yes, Inyokern would help here, not sure if that's what the map is referencing. It's just frustrating, because it seems like a poor choice for a supercharger (or at least the first supercharger on that route).
Right. Lone Pine is (almost) useless without other superchargers. I am sure Tesla knows that, and has a plan. Tejon Ranch via does not count. I can't imagine that there's ever more than a few people who would take that route.

I think the order in which they get built is just a matter of how fast the process is at a given location along a route. I heard about plans for Atascadero, Buellton, Oxnard, and SJC at the same time in May 2103 but they ended up being built a year apart for various reasons beyond Tesla's control. Since it looks like this charger is the only one we're going to get this winter season, it at least makes Mammoth possible in an 85, even if it requires a little topping off.

Right. Lone Pine is (almost) useless without other superchargers. I am sure Tesla knows that, and has a plan. Tejon Ranch via does not count. I can't imagine that there's ever more than a few people who would take that route.

Lone Pine is 152 miles from the Barstow supercharger. It is out of the way, but it's a way to reach Lone Pine before the Inyokern site is installed.

My friend who lives in Independence, 15 miles from Lone Pine, dropped in at the museum/theater and was told by management that the Supercharger is expected operational by the end of December. That seems too optimistic to me, I'm just telling you what they told her. Though 6 weeks is possible if they start like right now!

I agree 100% with this. Electricity may be an issue there though.

rpo, what is your information that electricity might be problematic?

Hydroelelectric Facilities in California

There are three (albeit small) hydro plants in the vicinity, and there are several high users of electricity close to Lee Vining, like CalTrans, June Lake Ski Resort, and the high school.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that Tesla is striving for slightly redundant Supercharger sites to alleviate clogging and providing sensible routes for travelers. I would think that Victorville would be a logical spot instead of Inyokern. Victorville allows an easy reach to Lone Pine (160 miles.) It lets travelers to Vegas and beyond choose to charge there and Primm rather than at Barstow.

Mojave is also needed because it is at a popular junction for north-south travel from the western Los Angeles area and for east-west travel from the Central Valley. Mojave to Primm would be doable in an 85 much of the time unless we drove 80 the whole way.

There are three (albeit small) hydro plants in the vicinity, and there are several high users of electricity close to Lee Vining, like CalTrans, June Lake Ski Resort, and the high school.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that Tesla is striving for slightly redundant Supercharger sites to alleviate clogging and providing sensible routes for travelers. I would think that Victorville would be a logical spot instead of Inyokern. Victorville allows an easy reach to Lone Pine (160 miles.) It lets travelers to Vegas and beyond choose to charge there and Primm rather than at Barstow.

Mojave is also needed because it is at a popular junction for north-south travel from the western Los Angeles area and for east-west travel from the Central Valley. Mojave to Primm would be doable in an 85 much of the time unless we drove 80 the whole way.

Just as a matter of interest, Inyo County has a lot of solar going on. Including huge arrays at the Inyo County Jail and at Inyo County Offices. Both of these systems installed by Solar City.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 397

500 or 750 kVA will power most Supercharger sites. That is a fair amount of power but not that big. 500 kVA is what you need for one Superchair or 20-50 houses. For example, the 50-year old grid in my rural Colorado neighborhood supports a 500 kVA transformer for a pumping station. Big, but not a big deal in most situations.