Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says Barstow SC to Lone Pine is 166 RM, or 188 RM with 40 F outside temperature. I understand another SC somewhere closer would be more convenient and save some miles, but for now this is a perfectly safe way to get up 395 as far as Lone Pine. Beyond Lone Pine you need overnight charging.
Yes, this route is doable. It is also a full 80 miles further. That's a lot of extra miles for this trip, and as you said, certainly not convenient. An alternative would be to stop somewhere along the 14 with a 50 Amp charger. Even an hour of charging would be sufficient to make it in an S85, and avoids the 80 mile extra drive.

No offense taken here guys, I'm a fan of pretty much all tesla does (except mid year autopilot updates via a lottery system), i stopped by on my way up to mammoth Friday and spoke with the install team, they head guy thought mid to late January. After reading all of this I'm not sure lone pine made the most sense to begin with, going all the way to Barstow for anyone in La or San Diego to charge then stop to charge again at LP just isn't an efficient management of time, I mentioned this to the head contractor and he hinted at another one or two going online very quickly to fill the gaps, let's hope we all get what we want, two more, one in Mojave (hopefully space port) and perhaps one or two slots in the almost ghost town of Johannesburg. Everyone wins and 60's can make it also. You guys have a great site here, thanks for letting me post to get my excitement out.... My wife is tired of listening!

Yes, this route is doable. It is also a full 80 miles further. That's a lot of extra miles for this trip, and as you said, certainly not convenient. An alternative would be to stop somewhere along the 14 with a 50 Amp charger. Even an hour of charging would be sufficient to make it in an S85, and avoids the 80 mile extra drive.
I sympathize; 80 miles would be a lot. For my location, coming from the Pomona Valley, I go up I15, so detour to Barstow SC vs 395 direct to Kramer Junction adds 35 miles, which is not too bad and I gain a better road.

According to the new SC maps on the Tesla website, everyone is getting what they want.

Yes!!! It looks like it was just updated. The 395 SC's are now off for the end of 2014 and are on the Coming Soon page. Looks like four were added in total:
Mojave, Inyokern, Lone Pine and Bishop!!

395 coming soon.jpg

And Silverthorne also is the reigning High Altitude champ amongst Superchargers worldwide. By my perusal of the superchargeinfo site, we have, in meters above sea level:

1. 2670 Siverthorne CO (8,758 ft)
2. 2106 Flagstaff AZ
3. 1970 Gallup NM
4. 1859 Cheyenne WY
5. 1849 Blanding UT
6. 1967 Truckee CA
7. 1790 Beaver UT
8. 1786 St. Moritz CH
9. 1785 Lone Tree CO
10. 1762 Glenwood Springs CO
11. 1666 Butte MT
12. 1652 Limon CO
13. 1642 Denver CO
14. 1555 Nephi UT
15. 1442 Bozeman MT

Lone Pine is at 1134m, or 3720ft. I think something has to be done about Colorado's dominance in the top fifteen! Bhutan, anyone?

Lone Pine exists because it is the Mt. Whitney portal. In the center of Lone Pine, turn left at the signal and drive west up to the end of the road at Mt. Whitney portal at 8000+ ft. From there hike uphill about 12 miles to the Mt. Whitney summit at 14, 496 ft. From the summit, you can see Lone Pine and all of Owens Valley. Mt. Whitney is the southern end of the John Muir Trail. The northern end of the 212 mile John Muir trail is Yosemite Valley. The Pacific Crest trail is the John Muir trail in the Sierras. I have backpacked the entire John Muir trail in sections over the last few years. The supercharger may not be as high as Silverthorne, but it is within sight of the highest point in the lower 48.

Silverthorne is spectacular (nice pic). I meant to compliment the beauty of the Owens Valley and Eastern Sierra Nevada, but there must be plenty of picturesque SC backdrops across North America, Asia Pacific and Europe. I've browsed the threads of sites under construction and was struck by Red Deer in Canada.

Weird coincidence side-note: I actually helped build that center where the Silverthorne SC is located when I was a ski bum electrician 21 years ago. We finished just in time for Christmas '93. That PA system is probably plugged into an outlet installed by my younger, fitter self. I live in CA and haven't been back in at least 15 years, so the image was a real surprise. Summit County, CO is a jaw-dropper.