Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged at Lone Pine this past Friday on my way up to Mammoth and yesterday on my way back down to LA. Granted I wasn't looking intently, but there was no sign of any additional chargers, urban or otherwise, at least in the immediate vicinity. Just the same 4 chargers that have always been there. I didn't see any noticeable construction in the parking lot across the way either. I got out of my car and walked to grab a bite to eat both times.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and emupilot
@4SUPER9 not going to get some early season turns down broadway with the storm coming in tonight? Seems like a perfect chance to check in on lone pine and snap some pics.
Oh, I wish. 12" of snow will be quite welcome on Broadway, and my understanding is that Stump may open too. Not enough ski time in to make the trip worthy. Plus, I have family coming in for T-Day tomorrow. I will be up right before Christmas. Good thing there is another storm due next week.

I charged at Lone Pine this past Friday on my way up to Mammoth and yesterday on my way back down to LA. Granted I wasn't looking intently, but there was no sign of any additional chargers, urban or otherwise, at least in the immediate vicinity. Just the same 4 chargers that have always been there. I didn't see any noticeable construction in the parking lot across the way either. I got out of my car and walked to grab a bite to eat both times.
Well, that is odd. I was thinking that the person who saw it and posted it on PlugShare was confusing temporary chargers for Urban chargers. That would make sense. If you were just there though, and saw nothing, then I find this hard to believe at all.

Has anyone else checked their in-car Nav?

• Love
Reactions: McManX
Oh, I wish. 12" of snow will be quite welcome on Broadway, and my understanding is that Stump may open too. Not enough ski time in to make the trip worthy. Plus, I have family coming in for T-Day tomorrow. I will be up right before Christmas. Good thing there is another storm due next week.

Well, that is odd. I was thinking that the person who saw it and posted it on PlugShare was confusing temporary chargers for Urban chargers. That would make sense. If you were just there though, and saw nothing, then I find this hard to believe at all.

Has anyone else checked their in-car Nav?

New to the Forum. Not sure what urban chargers are but I can confirm there are 7 chargers and that 1B still has an issue. Tried to report to roadside assist but wait was over 30 mins. Will not mate with chargeport. I moved to the three new chargers. They did look different, I will take pics on my way home and post here. They had cables running across the parking lot. I charged at 92kw on the first one, my s75 seems to max out there.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX and mociaf9
New to the Forum. Not sure what urban chargers are but I can confirm there are 7 chargers and that 1B still has an issue. Tried to report to roadside assist but wait was over 30 mins. Will not mate with chargeport. I moved to the three new chargers. They did look different, I will take pics on my way home and post here. They had cables running across the parking lot. I charged at 92kw on the first one, my s75 seems to max out there.
Very interesting. Thank you for the info. Sounds like temporary chargers to me. They do have a different look, being that they are grouped together on some form of palette. The cables running to tells a good story. Strange that there would be 7 total, unless you mean that there are 8 and 1B is down. The temporary charges come in packs of 4 I believe, though anything is possible,
Given the upcoming winter, and that they placed these temps here, I doubt we will see a real expansion until the spring.

Reactions: McManX
Ed Trotter found 3 temporary urban plugs on a skid at Santa Ana and took a pic.

This is probably what was installed here at Lone Pine.
Yep. There it is. 3 Urban style chargers on a palate. This is probably the same setup at Lone Pine. Interesting that someone was there yesterday and didn't see them. Looking forward to seeing some pics. I am even looking more forward to having them from my drive up in a few weeks.

Lone Pine is definitely a choke-point. While some people can skip it on the way down, pretty much everyone requires a stop there on their way up the hill. Not just that, but we each need a hefty charge. I typically arrive in Mammoth with about 70 RM left. Given the cold weather, I drop at least 15 RM a day once there. I try to charge when I arrive too to avoid any anxiety.

IMO, it's likely to be limited to providing charge for 2 cars at any one time with 72kW max for each just like a normal Urban-style charger. I think having 3 posts on it like that just gives them more flexibility on how/where they can install it in a parking lot to still maintain dual access. For some locations where they aren't parking space limited it wouldn't matter but when they are forced to put it in a specific spot that would otherwise end up blocking 1 side, with this set up they can still get 2 cars on it.

Of course, arguing against that interpretation is the fact that the in-car NAV is showing an expansion by 3 stalls. So, YMMV.

Very interesting. Thank you for the info. Sounds like temporary chargers to me. They do have a different look, being that they are grouped together on some form of palette. The cables running to tells a good story. Strange that there would be 7 total, unless you mean that there are 8 and 1B is down. The temporary charges come in packs of 4 I believe, though anything is possible,
Given the upcoming winter, and that they placed these temps here, I doubt we will see a real expansion until the spring.
Temporary chargers typically come in 2s.

The Santa Ana thread shows a picture of the cabinet label and it is a normal Urban cabinet that delivers 72kW x 2 even though there are three dispensers.
@Ed Trotter kindly posted photos in the Santa Ana Supercharger thread. I post them below, all credit to Ed!
Temporary chargers typically come in 2s.
Not anymore. They now come 3 on a pallet. Go to that thread to see his close up photo of the specification plaque on the charging cabinet.

I suspect a pallet like this is what is at Lone Pine right now. NOTE: it’s “pallet”, not “palate” or “palette”! (That comment is not directed at you, @PLUS EV )

D1E5E645-55D6-4613-9CC6-FBD1AA7970FF.jpeg

B3320547-12CD-4354-B0F2-A37A65317652.jpeg

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
So I'm trying to understand what we are looking at.

The original SC cabinet housed multiple 40 amp chargers to give 120 kW (later 135?), which was split between 2 stalls.

The urban SC has, I assume, an equivalent number of 48 amp chargers, but with the higher amperage, that gave 144 kW, split between two stalls at 72 kW each?

So aren't the 72 amp chargers physically the same size as the 48 amp? So an equivalent number of those would give 216 kW, but split 3 ways still 72 kW per stall?

I don't know what I'm talking about, just trying to understand. @PLUS EV , @ecarfan ?

I think this new hardware deserves its own thread for discussion in the Charging Standards & Infrastructure Forum. For this thread, it's enough to know that this is what was added to Lone Pine. BTW, reading further down in the Santa Ana thread, @Ed Trotter also included pictures of the hardware spec sheet on the side of the cabinet showing that the supercharger cabinet was still a 2 x 72kW.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX and Chuq
For much of the year, it is my understanding that the Lone Pine Supercharger is rarely full, but during ski season it can be a bottleneck for Tesla owners making the LA to Mammoth run. I think the addition of these 3 temporary chargers is an attempt by Tesla to ease the winter overcrowding at this location. With all the new Supercharger construction in California, perhaps Tesla was unable to install new permanent chargers at this location and decided this was a good short term solution. I expect these temporary chargers will be moved to another location before next summer.