Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fears about Lone Pine might be overblown. I didn’t need to stop there going back to San Diego from Mammoth, only needed a stop there going up. I was the only one there going up and it appeared no one was there when I drove past it coming back. And the SC usage numbers are random as far as I can tell and have no bearing in reality so that doesn’t help.

The fears about Lone Pine might be overblown. I didn’t need to stop there going back to San Diego from Mammoth, only needed a stop there going up. I was the only one there going up and it appeared no one was there when I drove past it coming back. And the SC usage numbers are random as far as I can tell and have no bearing in reality so that doesn’t help.
The nature of Lone Pine is that on "off" weekends, it is typically completely empty. On busy Mammoth weekends, it is slammed. I have been there with multiple cars waiting. When I went up on Saturday 12/21, 9 of the 10 stalls were taken, and I think it even hit 10/10. On the way back on 12/26 (an "off" day), there was only 1 other car charging. It is a mandatory stop for everyone going up, and while you were able to skip it going back, many cannot. I rarely can, and if I do, I must stop at Inyokern. Inyokern is old, slow and only has 4 stalls. It is not a bet I really want to take. If I ever upgrade to a Raven, I hope to make Mojave.

As far as the usage numbers go, the amount of stalls open in LP is actually correct. It is the total number that is off (2/10 available = 2/4 available).

• Informative
Reactions: ForeverFree
Charging here now, all 8 V3 stalls appear to be operational. Maxed out at 166kW on my 2017 X100D for a few minutes before dropping to 96-98kw.
IMG_20200122_233009.jpg
Screenshot_20200122-232156.png

Charging here now, all 8 V3 stalls appear to be operational. Maxed out at 166kW on my 2017 X100D for a few minutes before dropping to 96-98kw.
Interesting and thanks for the update. I checked my Nav a few minutes ago and it said only 3 stalls available. I am sure there were not 5 cars charging on a Thursday morning at 7:45 am. More likely, the Nav is wrong as it often is these days. I'll be back up tomorrow morning myself.

Just finished up charging here too. Not only are all the old stalls gone, the old equipment enclosure has been partially emptied. The 2 original supercharger cabinets have been removed, though the electrical cabinet is still in place. It would be great if they restored the original 4 to v3, but I would not hold out hope.

Attachments

• F57A4A04-C631-4E86-A4D6-794C15ABC2A0.jpeg
    F57A4A04-C631-4E86-A4D6-794C15ABC2A0.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 86
I agree. However, Tesla might feel that won't be necessary since Bishop is going to have Superchargers.

I dont care about bishop, just want kramer junction. I dont understand the point of a bishop charger since you cant get there without full charging at inyokern anyway. And nobody wants to do that so I always charge as little as possible there and book it to lone pine to finish up.

With 90% at kramer could probably make it to bishop

I dont care about bishop, just want kramer junction. I dont understand the point of a bishop charger since you cant get there without full charging at inyokern anyway. And nobody wants to do that so I always charge as little as possible there and book it to lone pine to finish up.

With 90% at kramer could probably make it to bishop
I'd also like to see Kramer Junction, as it'd be helpful for our southbound return trips. Heading north, our first stop is normally Lone Pine, and Bishop won't change that unless/until we buy a Tesla with significantly more range, i.e., a Model S "Raven" or a tri-motor Cybertruck.

Nevertheless, my thinking is that Bishop could take some load off of Lone Pine by reducing charge times there. Instead of hanging around in Lone Pine for a big charge before heading up the hill to Mammoth, it'll become possible to do a really quick stop in Lone Pine and then pick up more charge in Bishop. Not bad for those of us who like to stop at Schat's bakery in Bishop, for example.

At the same time, it would be hard for Tesla to go wrong adding more chargers in Lone Pine, or anywhere else along US 395 for that matter.

Actually, I am in Mammoth now and can envision making use of Bishop. If I had the long range S, which I intend, I could get a decent charge in LP, leaving before I am too deep in the taper, and have sufficient charge to make it up the hill and even back to Bishop. I would then skip LP and head for Mojave (as long as it’s not crazy busy there).
Even now, I could get just a small charge up hear once I arrive, and hit Bishop.

I drove to Mammoth Sunday, arrived Lone Pine 4PM, obviously coincidental with departing weekenders as I got the last remaining stall. When I left 34 minutes later half the stalls were open.

I drove from Glendale via Alta Loma to pick up a friend. With high winds the trip was a nail biter. I had to drive 50mph for the last 35 miles and arrived at Lone Pine showing zero rated miles for the last 1.8 miles of the drive. To no surprise charging started slowly, taking 8 minutes to get to 11% SoC. The charge rate peaked at 163kW at 24% SoC but then dropped to 98kW at 26% and then ramped up to a secondary peak of 137kW at 40% SoC.

Nonetheless the v3 did add a record for me 197 rated miles in the first 30 minutes.

I will be tempted to make the stop short once Bishop opens and I can charge while visiting Schat's. However, if you get to Lone Pine before 2PM the Alabama Hills bakery will not disappoint.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
For those of you coming from San Diego, there is word of a new supercharger coming on line in Adelanto (near Victorville). Supercharge.info has it listed as permitted, though there is no site actually confirmed as of yet.
Does this help much for getting to LP?

Mammoth has about 6' of untouched powder covering the entire mountain. What a shame...

Reactions: McManX
For those of you coming from San Diego, there is word of a new supercharger coming on line in Adelanto (near Victorville). Supercharge.info has it listed as permitted, though there is no site actually confirmed as of yet.

Mammoth has about 6' of untouched powder covering the entire mountain. What a shame...
Yes. That would help a lot. It's the perfect distance from San Diego for an LR Model 3. I charged at San Bernardino before which is too close and only 72kW. I hope they also build one in Kramer Junction, that would be perfect for the return trip.
I was scheduled to go to Mammoth the day after they closed and received 3 feet. :(:(:(

Actually, the site has been confirmed, although there hasn’t been a name change for the thread despite me asking for one for quite a while.

If it helps, I also found possible evidence for an SC in Lee Vining, nothing concrete, which is why I’ve held off on publishing it for a while, but maybe a ring to the town office or county could help. DM me for details