Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:48:49 +0000

The following documents posted and filed on November 24, 2014, in the County Clerk's Office pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA):

Document Type: Notice of Exemption

Project Title: Variance No. 2014-04/Tesla Motors

Lead Agency: Inyo County Planning Department

The document can be viewed here: http://www.inyocounty.us/EnvironmentalDocuments/Documents/14-052.pdf

Gene you are correct that this is not the permit. In California this is part of CEQA-California Environmental Quality Act. As part of the planning review, they have to assess the environmental impacts of the project. This project is minor, but they still have to file a document stating it is minor and has no impact. Once the planning approval is in place, Tesla has permission, or the right to build. The next step is to apply for the building permit. The building permit approval process will review the technical details to determine that the project complies with the technical (or building code and electrical code) requirements. Depending upon the jurisdiction, the building permit review time can vary from a week or two to a couple of months in Los Angeles county. In this rural area they do not see a lot of high voltage installations, so they may subcontract the review to a private consultant which takes time. I am a California Architect who deals with planning and building departments on a daily basis.

Lone Pine is 152 miles from the Barstow supercharger. It is out of the way, but it's a way to reach Lone Pine before the Inyokern site is installed.
It is a little out of the way, but it is the route I prefer anyway. It avoids 395 between I15 and Kramer Junction, which I consider a very unsafe stretch of highway. Two-way traffic, lots of trucks, and big dips that can hide oncoming cars that have moved onto your side of the road to pass slower vehicles. I sold my ICE several years ago, and I am more than willing to endure modest delays and inconvenience with my MS, which is much less than I endured with my LEAF.

I drove my MS down 395 from Truckee last July without any superchargers, charging on 14-50 overnight at Meadowcliff Lodge & RV near Coleville and Independence Inn in Independence.

I am aware that there are at least a few Tesla owners who are not willing to take their MS on any trip that requires a Supercharger stop, even if it is right on the way.

Construction started today on the Lone Pine Supercharger. I was driving through on my way to Mammoth and thought I would check out the site listed on the permit. To my surprise they were marking the lot and doing some minor digging. Construction materials trailer was there. I spoke to the construction manager and he said they expected to finish their work in the first or second week of January depending on the weather. I took a few pictures but don't know how to get them onto the post.

Pictures (emailed to [email protected]):

IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

Woo Hoo!! I hate to complain about this, but we still can't get to Lone Pine from Los Angeles unless we cut over to Barstow or Tejon. That adds way too much time to the trip to make it practical. I keep searching the counties for permits in other locations such as Mojave, Inyokern, etc, but no luck so far. There is also nothing on the TM future maps, except maybe Bishop.

Anyway, happy to have this started. I have hopes for the future.

Woo Hoo!! I hate to complain about this, but we still can't get to Lone Pine from Los Angeles unless we cut over to Barstow or Tejon. That adds way too much time to the trip to make it practical. I keep searching the counties for permits in other locations such as Mojave, Inyokern, etc, but no luck so far. There is also nothing on the TM future maps, except maybe Bishop.

Anyway, happy to have this started. I have hopes for the future.

I heard a rumor that Mojave is on the way...

Great to see this started. Now all we need is another SC between Truckee and Lone Pine... Perhaps Lee Vining for access to Yosemite.

It is 150 miles between Truckee and Lee Vining (same elevation though). In winter, that will be impossible in a 60kw and very difficult in an 85. I drove through Bridgeport along that route a couple winters back and saw -23 according to my car at 10 PM. Tesla will need another Supercharger closer to Tahoe to make winter driving feasible. It gets stupid cold in the Eastern Sierra. I believe Bridgeport had temps in the -30's for a week straight during the time I was there last, and that area frequently gets to freezing even in summer.

Truckee to Lee Vining is 143 if you drive around Lake Tahoe which easily doable in an 85 but would be a stretch in a 60 in winter.
According to EV trip planner, that would take 57 kWh (191RM) at 0F and 40 kWh (135RM) at 60F. The numbers are similar for Lee Vining to Lone Pine.
It would be great to have more SC stations along that route eventually but for now, I'd be happy with one in Lee Vining since I could get to Yosemite from Tahoe.

I'm not sure why inyokern makes sense, it's out of the way for everyone coming from la unless it's right off the 14, everyone coming from San diego has Rancho Cucamonga to fill up with, wouldn't a full charge from there get you to lone pine easily? From Hawthorne its like 209 or 215 to LP... I'm gonna try it still! Can't freaking wait