Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LONE PINE Found:

LONE PINE FILM HISTORY MUSEUM.
701 SOUTH MAIN ST
LONE PINE, CA 93545

4 spots.

http://www.inyoplanning.org/document...MotorsInc..pdf

Lone Pine Overview1.jpg

Interesting that the application shows 2 dedicated and 2 enabled spaces, but the planning dept. review is based on 4 fewer parking spaces and says even after subtracting 4 parking spaces the museum still has one more than the required minimum number of parking spaces for the size of the building. In that case I wonder why the plan isn't for all 4 spaces to be dedicated for supercharging.

Strong work on finding this location!

Now wondering if this will be a popular site

This will be popular IF and only IF Mammoth gets some snow this year.

It's a little too far North to be convenient for Death Valley access, but it will do in a pinch.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that the application shows 2 dedicated and 2 enabled spaces, but the planning dept. review is based on 4 fewer parking spaces and says even after subtracting 4 parking spaces the museum still has one more than the required minimum number of parking spaces for the size of the building. In that case I wonder why the plan isn't for all 4 spaces to be dedicated for supercharging.

It seems that Tesla negotiates most Supercharges with some exclusive and some not. I'd vote for MORE exclusivity, but that's just selfishness on my part.

I think 4 spots (for which I am thankful) may be too few. I frequent the area often usually staying at Ray's Den Motel in Independence and using their Nema 14/50. There is a huge amount of tourists wineter and summer that are coming up from LA. There must be a boatload of Tesla owners looking forward to Hwy 395 being opened up!

I think 4 spots (for which I am thankful) may be too few. I frequent the area often usually staying at Ray's Den Motel in Independence and using their Nema 14/50. There is a huge amount of tourists wineter and summer that are coming up from LA. There must be a boatload of Tesla owners looking forward to Hwy 395 being opened up!

As far as I have seen, the only place where Tesla has put in too few stalls for initial demand has been San Juan Capistrano. They seem to be pretty good at estimating demand for the initial install. Also, Tesla seems to be monitoring usage of Superchargers in great detail. With all of their data, it should be pretty easy to track usage and growth in demand so that they can add capacity to existing Supercharging sites and add sites as needed.

Besides, four charging stalls is way better than none... Let's hope that Lone Pine and Inyokern are on-line by this winter for the skiers to get to Mammoth and give the capacity a test!

Problem with SJC is that it's too close to South OC suburbs and locals use it. I was surprised Tesla didn't put it in San Clemente or Oceanside.

Lone Pine will be feast or famine. I bet there will be days on end without a charge in Spring and Fall, but there'll be a wait Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons December through April.
395 is so beautiful, it's a shame more people don't drive it in the "off season". It's worth seeing in both the Spring and Fall.

This will be popular IF and only IF Mammoth gets some snow this year.

It's a little too far North to be convenient for Death Valley access, but it will do in a pinch.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that Tesla negotiates most Supercharges with some exclusive and some not. I'd vote for MORE exclusivity, but that's just selfishness on my part.
Lone Pine certainly isn't ideal for people heading to Death Valley from the south, compared to Olancha. But it's fantastic for hikers/climbers going to/from Whitney Portal, or heading on up 395. The only question is are they going to put one further north as well (c'mon, Lee Vining)? Ideally I'd like one in Bishop too. Mammoth is enough of a destination to not really need one early on, and from Inyokern it's shorter to go via Trona to Panamint Springs than via 395.

Last edited:

For this location, I think it's irrelevant. The lot is empty 90% of the time.

That Lone Pine area tends to get pretty busy this time a year, as tourists drive up to see the spectacular Fall foliage color changes. The hotels fill up, and the restaurants get busy.

Our ViperClub just got back from a road trip to Bishop and the surrounding areas. Fantastic driving roads, and beautiful vistas. This area is also on the route for many European motorcyclists. They rent Harleys, and tour the West Coast.

No just hints from a reliable source and a logical location. I would weight that as very probable, but not confirmed.
I suppose the other possibility is that they put one in Mojave, which may be better for people coming up 14 from LA to Lone Pine, but would suck for people coming up 395 from SD or the Inland Empire unless they were to put one at Kramer Junction as well. But Inyokern covers both routes, and is within reach of Rancho Cucamonga (am I the only person who flashes back to Mel Blanc announcing train destinations whenever I write 'Cucamonga'? ).

The recommendation is to approve this. I can't imagine that it won't be. I am happy to write an email to someone if they know whom.
I travel through this area about 15 times a year, yet often drive straight through. Lone Pine would get some of my business if this is built.

I suppose the other possibility is that they put one in Mojave, which may be better for people coming up 14 from LA to Lone Pine, but would suck for people coming up 395 from SD or the Inland Empire unless they were to put one at Kramer Junction as well. But Inyokern covers both routes, and is within reach of Rancho Cucamonga (am I the only person who flashes back to Mel Blanc announcing train destinations whenever I write 'Cucamonga'? ).

Actually, GRA I would be really impressed if you still had the .45 of Jan & Dean's "Anaheim, Azusa, & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review And Timing Association"

I will have to figure out how to get the .45 transferred onto something that the car recognizes so I can play that song if I ever charge in Rancho Cucamonga!

But, seriously, Mojave needs to be a site for a supercharger. Harris Ranch to Barstow is nigh impossible unless you want to travel around 60, and if there are winds in the desert or rain/snow over Tehachapi Pass, ugh. Moreover, it makes reaching Barstow a snap from Visalia and Fresno.

Actually, GRA I would be really impressed if you still had the .45 of Jan & Dean's "Anaheim, Azusa, & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review And Timing Association"

I will have to figure out how to get the .45 transferred onto something that the car recognizes so I can play that song if I ever charge in Rancho Cucamonga!

But, seriously, Mojave needs to be a site for a supercharger. Harris Ranch to Barstow is nigh impossible unless you want to travel around 60, and if there are winds in the desert or rain/snow over Tehachapi Pass, ugh. Moreover, it makes reaching Barstow a snap from Visalia and Fresno.
Nope, no Jan and Dean (little before my time; rather than Jack Benny my knowledge of that bit stems from Bugs Bunny cartoons, where the 'Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga' bit was used several times. Now that there's an SC in Indio, people heading westbound can now ask for directions "To the Coachella Valley, and the Carrot Festival therein?" Just need to find someone wearing a matador suit in a bullring, which may be a little difficult. That being the case, I look forward to there being an SC in Albuquerque, so I can go straight or right and later announce . . . well, you know.:biggrin:

But I digress. There does need to be an SC in Mojave eventually, but Bakersfield would be a better location for an SC for travel between Harris Ranch and Barstow, although it's a bit far for a 60 in some conditions. A bit east of Bakersfield on 58 would be better spacing, but would lose the advantage for HWY 99 northbound traffic. Course, Tejon Ranch probably covers that.

*For those lost without a clue: Coachella Valley Carrot Festival - YouTube