Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You ever try stopping at Santa Clarita?
I have not, mostly because it would add more time to the trip. Certainly, I know it is there, and could take advantage of that if needed. Again though, I would need a much longer stop at LP. I once made it from LP to Mojave with 0 RM left, driving 40 MPH for the last 10 miles on the 14. A total nail biter, especially with 2 young children in the car. It was windy and I had a ski rack. Totally miscalculated what I needed at LP, basing my charge on my other trips without the wind or rack.

Photos from PlugShare: a new Supercharger pallet at Lone Pine.
2D9E3A61-5042-4455-84E8-349F6EBF8543.jpeg
863FDD78-6FCE-42E4-B564-39D0487883B7.jpeg

Reactions: Acps110
Photos from PlugShare: a new Supercharger pallet at Lone Pine.View attachment 381643View attachment 381644
Is this not the same pallet that we've been discussing the last couple of months, or am I missing something new?

Speaking of Lone Pine, is that broken stall fixed yet? I actually just drove by, but did not stop. Took the ICE minivan. Too many kids and stuff to fit in my Model S. Gotta say, it was really nice not having to stop and charge (twice). At the same time, I really missed the handling of my Tesla, and the autopilot. The winds were ferocious today. 395 was closed to all campers and high loads for most of the day. The Model S would have carved those winds nicely (though at significant range loss).

Is this not the same pallet that we've been discussing the last couple of months, or am I missing something new?

Speaking of Lone Pine, is that broken stall fixed yet? I actually just drove by, but did not stop. Took the ICE minivan. Too many kids and stuff to fit in my Model S. Gotta say, it was really nice not having to stop and charge (twice). At the same time, I really missed the handling of my Tesla, and the autopilot. The winds were ferocious today. 395 was closed to all campers and high loads for most of the day. The Model S would have carved those winds nicely (though at significant range loss).
That’s the one. @BlueShift @Chuq might want to add another 2 stalls.

Five charging tonight, with lots of turnover. The temporary station was iced on one side. They will definitely need to expand by summer. This has been the most full station I’ve seen on my highway 395 trip south this week. Mammoth had six. Klamath-Bend-Reno had zero. Stateline (Tahoe) was a zoo, but several spaces open.

Five charging tonight, with lots of turnover. The temporary station was iced on one side. They will definitely need to expand by summer. This has been the most full station I’ve seen on my highway 395 trip south this week. Mammoth had six. Klamath-Bend-Reno had zero. Stateline (Tahoe) was a zoo, but several spaces open.
ICE'd in Lone Pine??? That is one large lot, with no reason to be there except to charge or visit the museum.
Mammoth having 6 is unusual. I did see it filled once, but most of the time, I am alone or with 1-2 others.

Is that one stall still down at Lone Pine? For that matter, the one at Mojave too? (I'll post there if the answer is not given here)

Not sure. I skipped Lone Pine "knowing" Inyokern would be empty. Dead wrong.

With my drive, I can make it from Mammoth to Inyokern on 55% of rated range or from Lone Pine to Home on 85% of rated range. I usually prefer to skip Lone Pine so I can get a quick charge at Inyokern at a lower SoC and get close to 120kW (assuming it's not packed) and be out of there in 15 minutes (only need to get to 60% SoC).

If I stop at Lone Pine, I would still be at a relatively high SoC from Mammoth and need to "trickle" charge all the way to 90% SoC to be able to skip Inyokern.

Just charged here. All 6 stalls operational.
Thursday afternoon and all stalls taken. No signs of further expansion in the works.
I'll be charging there tonight, glad to hear all 6 stalls are operational, I've had issues with one of the plugs cutting in and out in the past. I expect it to be busy tonight with this record May snowfall. At least it isn't mid-season.

Just charged here. All 6 stalls operational.
Thursday afternoon and all stalls taken. No signs of further expansion in the works.
Hopefully these stalls will be put on the 80% max charging list. I'm very hesitant to drive from San Diego to Mammoth with my Model 3 given I've had to wait both times I've tried it (people were definitely charging over 80%) and heard horror stories from other drivers at the Lone Pine supercharger.
https://electrek.co/2019/05/24/tesla-limiting-supercharger-busy/?pushup=1

Hopefully these stalls will be put on the 80% max charging list. I'm very hesitant to drive from San Diego to Mammoth with my Model 3 given I've had to wait both times I've tried it (people were definitely charging over 80%) and heard horror stories from other drivers at the Lone Pine supercharger.
Tesla starts limiting charge to 80% at busy Superchargers to reduce wait times - Electrek

Would be nice. Maybe they could go with a hybrid solution and leave one which will go to 100%.

I'm sure it will be quiet there tonight with Memorial Day weekend and fresh snow at Mammoth.

• Funny
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Would be nice. Maybe they could go with a hybrid solution and leave one which will go to 100%.

I'm sure it will be quiet there tonight with Memorial Day weekend and fresh snow at Mammoth.
9" of fresh snow today and totally empty. I started skiing at 7:30 this morning and had almost 2 straight hours of fresh powder. Slush and slow in the afternoon

With only 2 other cars then charging, we got 80% limited at Lone Pine on Memorial Day afternoon.

That was a real bummer because we ended up having to make a detour to SCV charger in order to get home (90% would have gotten us home).

Why didn't we stop at Indio or Mojave? They were jammed. Mojave had 5 cars waiting when we drove by!

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
With only 2 other cars then charging, we got 80% limited at Lone Pine on Memorial Day afternoon.

That was a real bummer because we ended up having to make a detour to SCV charger in order to get home (90% would have gotten us home).

Why didn't we stop at Indio or Mojave? They were jammed. Mojave had 5 cars waiting when we drove by!
Apparently you can override the 80% limit by just adjusting it in the car or the app.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile