Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not understanding the geometry of the 3 urban superchargers. How do cars occupy all three at once? Seems maybe possible, but unlikely and awkward.
IMO, it just gives them more flexibility for parking lot/stall configurations which can be served while still being limited to just 2. In the Santa Ana thread a picture of the spec sheet on the side of the supercharger cabinet was posted which showed that it was still listed as just powering 72kW x 2 posts. I'm not sure whether all 3 posts are usable but just 2 at any one time or each install only has 2 specific posts energized and the remaining one (determined by the geometry of the parking stalls) is just a dummy.

But t then why would the Nav say that 7 stalls are available?
Yeah, that is a bit strange. Nevertheless, look at the spec sheet. Ed got a picture of it from the one at Santa Ana. It reads, Output Power: 72kW x 2.

Temporary Urban spec sheet.jpg

Stopped by twice today. Once on the way up and once on the way down. Snow in Mammoth was great for December!

Several previous posts report that 1B is down, but it appeared to be working fine. 2B however, failed to start charging; screen showed it hanging on “Starting to Charge” or something similar.

I wonder if all the previous references to 1B was a typo and meant to call out 2B? In any case, I sent an email to Tesla support to report the issue.

Pallet of 3 Urban chargers is still there, but no one using it.

Lone Pine definitely remains a choke point. While it can be skipped coming downhill, I do not think it possible to do so going uphill. There is no stop between this location and Mammoth, which uses a massive amount of range given the climb up.

Today, Sunday at 12pm, every stall (5/6) were taken with 2 cars waiting. Thank goodness for the extra 2 Urban chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and mociaf9
Lone Pine definitely remains a choke point. While it can be skipped coming downhill, I do not think it possible to do so going uphill. There is no stop between this location and Mammoth, which uses a massive amount of range given the climb up.

Today, Sunday at 12pm, every stall (5/6) were taken with 2 cars waiting. Thank goodness for the extra 2 Urban chargers.

Thanks, this is good info. Next time I make the trip, I'll be sure to grab a sufficient charge in Mammoth to make it to Inyokern.

Actually, I'm looking back at my TeslaFi data and it is totally possible to skip Lone Pine with the right car.

On 12/23/18, I made the trip up in my 3LR (RWD), 18" Aero, forgot to put the covers on before I left.

Topped up at Inyokern to 93%, grabbed 4% at Lone Pine just to be safe, ended up at Mammoth SC with 11% SOC. Used a total of 60.73 kWh or 354 wH/mi. Didn't need the Lone Pine stop after all.

Temp in the low-40s. No snow on the road. Just myself in the car plus snowboard gear.

And I was NOT driving slow by any means, ignoring the "slow down" recommendations; avg 71-72 MPH (including the 25 MPH slow zones), max 91 MPH :)

(This should really go in the Mammoth SC thread, but for those making the trip in the winter, be sure to head straight to the Mammoth SC and top up while the battery is still warm. Makes a HUGE difference in total time spent charging. Got very close to 120 kW doing that. Was stuck at 30 to 60 kW when starting from a cold battery.)

upload_2019-1-28_10-13-36.png

P.S. This is why I love data and TeslaFi. Feel free to use my username as a referral ;)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    326.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Doug Martoccia

Gotta admit I'm a little annoyed that you identified the problem on the way up, but didn't alter your route in the slightest on the way home (despite an easy and obvious alternative in Inyokern). I guess this demonstrates the inelasticity of supercharger usage among Tesla owners. It has been surprising to me how quickly people become set in their ways.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwginac
Gotta admit I'm a little annoyed that you identified the problem on the way up, but didn't alter your route in the slightest on the way home (despite an easy and obvious alternative in Inyokern). I guess this demonstrates the inelasticity of supercharger usage among Tesla owners. It has been surprising to me how quickly people become set in their ways.
Well, gee, I hope I didn't annoy you too much. :p
Actually, I had my reasons. First, I really hate Inyokern, as the place is a total unsanitary dump. We would have nothing to do there for 30 minutes. Regardless, I would have still gone there if beneficial, though I continued to watch the supercharger status along the way and decided to role the dice.
My main reason for going to Mojave was that my wife and I really needed to get a major marketing run in, and we did not want to do that once we got back to LA after a long trip. Besides, the Stater Bros market there actually has amazing produce (not to mention a special on 18 oz packages of blueberries for $2.99 :)). We figured if we had to wait, so be it. We were definitely feeling lazy that day.

I guess we are somewhat set in our ways, as we find Lone Pine to be a great place to stop. I usually end up having to move the car because it's done charging before the family is ready to move on. If we end up having to wait a bit to charge there, it's no big deal. I do try to be considerate if multiple cars are waiting to charge, though, and not charge much above 80%. (Otherwise, if it's not too cold/hot/windy and we're careful, we can drive our S85 all the way home on a 95-100% charge from Lone Pine.)

We are looking forward to the planned Superchargers at Kramer Junction (junction of US-395 and CA-58). We often stop there for bathrooms anyway, so it'll be nice to get a bit more charge in the car.

I really hate Inyokern, as the place is a total unsanitary dump.
It's not our favorite place, but I'm still very grateful to have Superchargers in that general area. It might have been better to put them in Ridgecrest, though, even given the additional distance off 395.

I guess we are somewhat set in our ways, as we find Lone Pine to be a great place to stop. I usually end up having to move the car because it's done charging before the family is ready to move on. If we end up having to wait a bit to charge there, it's no big deal. I do try to be considerate if multiple cars are waiting to charge, though, and not charge much above 80%. (Otherwise, if it's not too cold/hot/windy and we're careful, we can drive our S85 all the way home on a 95-100% charge from Lone Pine.)
I really enjoy stopping in Lone Pine too. On the way down, I typically only charge for 5-10 minutes as a buffer to Mojave. On the way up, I typically need 40 minutes at a minimum. I have visited the museum right there several times. I use the bathroom, and still leave a donation, even if I am not touring the museum.
I mentioned way up thread, the Alabama Hills Cafe is an absolutely amazing place for breakfast. It does get crowded.
The Pizza Factory is honestly some of the best pizza anywhere, and I hate pizza in general.

I guess I am a rarity, but if I know a supercharger is overloaded, I will do my best to avoid it. It's not just you that has to wait, it's the other people that come in after you. And yes, I have been there and understand that Inyokern is a post-apocalyptic hellscape, but I'm happy to just read articles on my phone for 20-30 minutes while I charge at a place like that.

I guess I am a rarity, but if I know a supercharger is overloaded, I will do my best to avoid it. It's not just you that has to wait, it's the other people that come in after you. And yes, I have been there and understand that Inyokern is a post-apocalyptic hellscape, but I'm happy to just read articles on my phone for 20-30 minutes while I charge at a place like that.
Just watch out for the zombies... and don't ever go into that grocery store.

• Funny
Reactions: 4SUPER9