Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While checking on the Inyokern site, stopped by and had breakfast opened the newspaper and found this article. Tuesday is the big day!

1852.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mtf16
Yep...it would have been SPECTACULAR!.
One indication of the remarkable geography in this area is that Lone Pine is in Inyo county and Inyo county has the distinction of having both the highest point in the lower 48 states (Mt. Whitney 14,505 ft.) and the lowest point (Badwater, Death Valley 282 ft. below sea level). Amazing geography to have such extremes.
Lots of Hollywood movies filmed in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine and also in Death Valley (most famously, Star Wars).

Glad Lone Pine is live. Just happened to click into the Tesla supercharger map today, though and noticed something even better. Mammoth itself is now showing as live in 2015! That must be a relatively new change (or I just plain missed it).

They will definitely be ready for Model X's to replace any number of SUVs here in California with this kind of ski coverage...

Nope. It definitely looks like Mammoth.

The current map has Mojave, Inyokern, Lone Pine and Bishop all marked with gray "Opening soon" marks.

The 2015 map has those same 4 as open, plus a new Red charger to the Northwest of Bishop. That's Mammoth, folks. To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't included non-Superchargers on that map. The Westin charger is a plain old slow charger.

For those that are really into driving the entirety of 395, there also appears to be a new charger to the east of South Lake Tahoe. That's likely Minden or somewhere similar. Makes sense as it would allow a worry free drive all the way from SoCal to Tahoe.

I'm going with Lee Vining. It helps to enable Yosemite routes. Mammoth makes little sense to me -- it's more a place for destination chargers.
+1. Considering the number of people who've requested an SC in Lee Vining, they'd be nuts not to put one there. Mammoth is reachable round trip from either Lee Vining or Bishop, so you don't need one there. Not that you wouldn't want one there eventually, along with June Lake, Big Pine and Independence, but none are strictly necessary. Lee Vining is necessary for anyone transiting Yosemite via 120, and even then, Manteca to Lee Vining non stop is only possible reasonably easily by an 85; a 60 will have to stop in Groveland and hope to use the HPWC at the Hotel, or the 14-50s at the RV park. An SC closer to Yosemite on 120/108 than Manteca is going to be needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not forget http://anseladams.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/winter-surise.jpg