Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Long Beach, CA (LIVE 16 May 2022, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to a mobile technician a few months back after a glass warning came up. Didnt have much for timelines but stated Long Beach will get plenty of superchargers especially closer to the port and downtown with all the need Tesla Semi's will have in the area.

I'll drive by SCAN on Kilroy Airport Way and see if there is anything interesting

Talked to a mobile technician a few months back after a glass warning came up. Didnt have much for timelines but stated Long Beach will get plenty of superchargers especially closer to the port and downtown with all the need Tesla Semi's will have in the area.

Very strange, surely he would know that Tesla Semis won't use superchargers? Unless they plan to have hybrid sites to allow for megachargers and superchargers on the same site.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
Didn't see anything at SCAN but did hear this from the City today on plans for 2 locations:

- Von's parking lot downtown
- 2nd and PCH parking structure

But as the City is not directly involved they recommended contacting Tesla, or Electrify America for updates

Possible permit confirmation here for the Vons location at 600 E Broadway:

upload_2020-1-3_21-14-26.png

I’ve been to that place a couple times. There’s still very little open and has very little foot traffic. Save for one or two locations.

If they put in a supercharger I’d be happy to spend some time there while charging.

In post #8, @343tez mentioned that the city told them to contact Tesla or Electrify America. So, I looked at EA's map of current and planned locations and found that they did, in fact, have a future site planned for Long Beach, CA at the Vons (600 E. Broadway). So I don't think that is going to be a supercharger. If a joint location was planned, I'd expect to see additional permits and, for this address, Long Beach's permit portal shows only the electrical permit mentioned up thread and the associated building/remodeling permit (BRMD234595) saying that it'll be for 3 EV charging stations. Conclusion: EA only at Vons.

2nd and PCH says they're still just in the discussion stage with Tesla

They have quite a few chargers but unfortunately they’re located in both of their paid parking garages and parking there is far from cheap.

There is quite a lot of free street parking but from what I could find all the garages are in one of the two garages.

None of the chargers are Tesla specific connectors but do work with our included adapters.

Again unfortunately the chargers are of the slower variety and the parking is expensive. I’m assuming some of the shops validate but there is no mention of it on the website or anywhere else I could find.

Still holding out for official Tesla Superchargers somewhere downtown. Would be closest location to both my work and home and even closer to my numerous stops each week.

As with the Lakewood location fingers still crossed. But then this location has been promised for 2018, then 2019, and now 2020; which is half over with no permits or construction site.

The problem with 2nd and PCH seems to be that all their chargers are in their secured garage that requires a purchase and even at that you still have to pay. IE no free with validation.

Things may have changes in the many months since I looked and I could be wrong. Let me know otherwise.

The problem with 2nd and PCH seems to be that all their chargers are in their secured garage that requires a purchase and even at that you still have to pay. IE no free with validation.

Things may have changes in the many months since I looked and I could be wrong. Let me know otherwise.
As of a week or so ago, parking was free and "touchless" - no tickets at all, simply drive up to the gates and they open. (At least the ones near Whole Foods.)
Seems half the ChargePoints are "disabled" though...so I've started checking them before I bother getting the adapter, etc.

As of a week or so ago, parking was free and "touchless" - no tickets at all, simply drive up to the gates and they open. (At least the ones near Whole Foods.)
Seems half the ChargePoints are "disabled" though...so I've started checking them before I bother getting the adapter, etc.

Sounds like they may have lightened up on the parking during the pandemic which would be logical.

Checking their website looks to state similar to what I recall previously.

Consumer Rates:
• $2.00 every 20 minutes
• $30.00 Daily Maximum
• $30.00 Lost Ticket
• Validation required at participating retailers for discounted parking,
starting March 1, 2020.
• Only One Validation per ticket accepted

The problem with the validation is that it’s a discount and not free. It’s only for a limited period and can’t get multiple for multiple store visits.

Based on the charging speed and limits of time in parking and cost going there to charge or even top off doesn’t make much sense unless there are absolutely no other options or you’re planning to be there and pay for parking anyway.

If they aren’t charging for parking for the time being it’s a different story.