Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Altos, CA - Loucks Ave (under construction Feb 2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I passed here this afternoon, while the construction fencing gate was open. There were at least two workers actively grabbing conduit out of one of several storage containers onsite, and there were lots of other materials laying around. I also spotted at the large Supercharging cabinets by the sreet, and least a half-dozen Superchargers already mounted along one side. towards the back. The entire lot is still dirt though, as expected.

Sorry I couldn't grab a pic due to traffic...

Construction pictures taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 191
Passed by here on Friday and took a few pics, but not much visually different from @Young's pics from three weeks ago, so I won't clutter the board with more pics. That said, the fence was open, workers were actively working, so I have no doubt there is steady progress being made.

The only notable visual difference is that the pedestals along the left side, oriented in the perpendicular direction, now have individual protective bollards in front of each one. I guess since cars have to back between the perpendicular orientation, there's more risk of accidental impact, but I've not noticed any bollards at other older nearby supercharger sites that have this perpendicular orientation.

The fewer pedestals on the right side are more oriented along the end of the stall and fence, and don't have bollards, nor concrete wheel stops (yet). I wonder if these might be future candidates for CCS1 Magic Docks, since it seems in the initial rollout they've selected sites with removed wheel stops and with the pedestals flipped 180 so the short Supercharger cables can better reach both sides of non-Tesla cars in a stall. The perpendicular pedestals will never reach for many non-Tesla's unless the vehicle parks in the completely "wrong" adjacent stall...

Also, I was wrong in my earlier post that it's still a dirt lot. Upon closer approach, it is actually a completely asphalt-paved lot, though well-caked with ample brown mud/dirt. They will need to fill in asphalt in the trenching running across the lot, and I'm sure repainting of new stall lines, before all's said and done though.

Passed by the site again today, this time managed to snap a pic...

loucks.jpg

Site looks largely complete to me, including fresh paint, and all construction equipment and fencing gone - just some caution tape along the sidewalk to keep people and cars out. Not sure where the transformer pad is to see if one is in place yet - might be hidden behind the row of supercharging cabinets.

The two stalls closest to the sidewalk on each side of the driveway have "EV charging only" painted on the ground... does that mean the others are available for general parking? No, doesn't make sense, the nearby shopping center and restaurants have plenty of parking. Based on the striped clearance areas, I guess these will get blue handicapped signs, so for handicapped parking when charging only.

Reactions: Transformer
Looks done. When's it going to open? What's the hold-up?
F6. Any updates?

Probably not. You don't need to ask.

Often new (and sometimes not so new) members will post a query to the effect of "does anyone have an update?" in the thread for some Supercharger site under construction. Please resist the temptation to ask this, particularly without having looked through recent posts first. If any TMC member does have some new information about a Supercharger, they would most likely post it without being asked. Posting "any updates?" at random just adds chatter and bumps the thread unnecessarily.

• Love
Reactions: bmah
This site is still waiting for PG&E to install the utility transformer. That covered hole, where the conduits and conductors will go from under the transformer to Tesla's cabinet, does not mean that transformer installation is imminent--the Lost Hills site has been that way for a year.

IMG_0564.JPG

We live a few miles from here, this reminds me of a recent conversation with our neighbor who just moved back onto our street after a 6+ year absence, after they started building a new home after teardown in 2017. With a few delays on their own side, they were nearing completion in 2020 when COVID hit, and work stopped for 6+ months, but they finally finished in 2021... except there was no driveway nor PG&E electrical connection from the pole.

And then it sat ... and sat... and sat.....for more than a year. According to the neighbor, the 2019 PG&E bankruptcy caused them to lay off a bunch of folks that review and approve things like the neighbor's plans (which included both upsizing the panel/meter as well as undergrounding the service connection(, creating a multi-year backlog. Since the undergrounding needed to run under where the driveway would be, the driveway couldn't be poured, and final building inspection for occupancy also couldn't be done.

Finally in 2022, PG&E finally got around to hooking up, and the home was finally completed. But the neighbor had already had to buy another home in the meantime, and so they just got around to moving back last month....

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer