Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles, CA - Alameda St. (LIVE 17 Sep 2020, 16 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because ROW literally has nothing to do with it besides leasing the parking spaces to Tesla. They don't own the charging hardware, they aren't responsible for maintenance or repairs of that hardware, they aren't involved with the electrical service, they didn't hire the contractors who built the station, etc. All of that is Tesla. If ROW was the one keeping the station closed it would only be by restricting physical access to the chargers, e.g. not letting people into the garage. Literally anything else is Tesla's full responsibility, ROW is entirely hands-off.

Tesla's charging partner website clearly states that the business owner must find and work with a Tesla certified electrical contractor. To me the business owner gathers the quote and submits to Tesla team for review. Upon approval from Tesla they probably issue a check for the quoted amount to the business owner. The business owner executes the contract with the contractor, and schedules the construction. This makes sense why would Tesla want to expose themselves to that risk of hiring the contractor directly to work on some unknown site/structure.

Charging Partners | Tesla

Last edited:
Tesla's charging partner website clearly states that the business owner must find and work with a Tesla certified electrical contractor. To me the business owner gathers the quote and submits to Tesla team for review. Upon approval from Tesla they probably issue a check for the quoted amount to the business owner. The business owner executes the contract with the contractor, and schedules the construction. This makes sense why would Tesla want to expose themselves to that risk of hiring the contractor directly to work on some unknown site/structure.

The only thing I can find in the page you quoted applies to Tesla Wall Connectors a.k.a. destination chargers. Superchargers are a whole different animal in regards to ownership, repairs, and maintenance. It’s already been posted on this thread how things work with superchargers which is completely different than destination chargers.
43761995-E72E-4FF6-A92C-6A8922677A41.jpeg

The only thing I can find in the page you quoted applies to Tesla Wall Connectors a.k.a. destination chargers. Superchargers are a whole different animal in regards to ownership, repairs, and maintenance. It’s already been posted on this thread how things work with superchargers which is completely different than destination chargers. View attachment 630660

There's no question on who owns the equipment. It was stated earlier from another poster that the ROW has nothing to do with the installation other than leasing the spaces. However that's still not clear what Tesla's involvement is with their charging partners such as the ROW. Unless someone could provide such literature I am under the belief that the ROW contracts out the installation (paid by Tesla), and is involved with the maintenance i.e reports to Tesla, schedules the repairs. There's too much risk for Tesla to contract direct unless there's a clear MOU in place.

That's for the destination charging program, i.e. Tesla giving away L2 chargers. The supercharger program is different and entirely run by Tesla. I'm not speculating or trying to figure it out based on some statements I found on Tesla's website and have taken out of context. I'm telling you definitively, as someone who has read at least a dozen leasing agreements for supercharger locations, the host property is hands-off. They agree to lease Tesla the space and Tesla does everything else. If you would like to read one for yourself, you can see a publicly viewable and only slightly modified copy of Tesla's standard leasing agreement here. Pay particular attention to sections 2, 3, 8, 10, 11--Tesla is granted possession; Tesla, at its sole expense, constructs the chargers and obtains all the necessary planning/zoning approvals and building permits to do so; Tesla pays all the charges for the utilities and electricity as well as arranging a new service which is separately metered; the host business doesn't have any right to charge Tesla or car owners for their use of the chargers (rent for use of the property is covered elsewhere); Tesla is fully responsible for maintaining and operating the chargers.

If you want to see the usual extent of a host property's involvement in the permitting process, here's a good example from a supercharger that's going to be built at a Wawa gas station/convenience store in PA. That's it. Here's a link to the site plans for that same location. The merest glance should make it very clear to you that they were drawn up for/by Tesla, not Wawa. The contractors who will actually build it later this year are hired by Tesla, not Wawa. Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
When every car is charging at 0-20kw, ambient temps are 70F, and nearly everyone is walking around shaking their head in frustration (there are a couple who are oblivious), it aint a pre-conditioning issue

I think @smartypnz was asking if you pre-conditioned your cerebellum to handle the possibility that 20kw would be the maximum charge rate, irrespective of the battery pre-conditioning. :D

Been meaning to check this site out as it is right down the street from a startup I worked for several years ago. The nearby McDonald's was so sketchy at the time there were two armed security guards on premises at all times. They looked even sketchier than the homeless that were panhandling the cars in the drive through lane.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA