Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles CA - Francisco Street (LIVE 6 Mar 2019, Hotel Indigo, Valet Only!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New supercharger in Downtown LA seems to have popped up overnight? I can't find any detail on the usual sites. The icon is still gray on the map, but seems to be full information in the detail.

I might check it out after work today.

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.20.57 AM.png

Thanks for your report and for starting this thread. It is odd that the icon is grey, because with all that information it should be live.
New supercharger in Downtown LA seems to have popped up overnight? I can't find any detail on the usual sites. The icon is still gray on the map, but seems to be full information in the detail.

I might check it out after work today.

View attachment 383677

Just spoke to the parking attendant who confirmed the chargers are brand new and located in the underground valet parking area. Only way to get a charge is to valet your car and they plug you in. For someone like me not staying at the hotel, the valet cost is $11/hour without validation or $11 for 3 hours with validation (i.e. if getting food/drink from the bar etc.) This is disappointing.

In car nav now displays 10 open chargers, 72kw max.

Thanks @Limited for the info.

That’s really disappointing that you need to valet. Weird strategic move to limit Superchargers, something that Tesla wants to make publicly accessible, to this type of setup. If you spend the money on the buildout, odds are you’d want the site to be used more often, since it’s already a sunk cost. Maybe the hotel paid a lot of money for this.

Either way, I’m hoping this arrangement will change sometime down the line.

The idea of a Supercharger is to be in and out quickly. Especially for Urban Superchargers with no power sharing. So in this case, if I only need to charge 5-10 minutes, is valet going to run back and forth for each Tesla that wants to come and charge, then get their car?

I’ve seen the lines for Tesla charging. It’s crazy at Culver City, Santa Ana, San Bernardino, etc. Are Tesla drivers just going to wait at the hotel valet? If the line is crazy long for Tesla owners to want to charge, who is going to valet for the hotel guests?

The valet supervisor even made it a point to tell me that this was the only supercharger in southern california that was valet only, and is for that reason unlike my other supercharging experiences. I was trying to explain how most people just want to charge for 30 min and then leave but he wasn't having it.

I think Tesla could improve the UI a little bit to indicate that the chargers are restricted in some way (like valet parking, paid parking etc.). Otherwise you're going to have a steady stream of people trying to go to the charger only to run into this. Though given the one in San Diego is also paid parking, maybe it's not that big of a deal? Still would be good to add.

Reactions: Jay Massaro
This SC is as good as nothing. What is the valet gonna drive it park it. Plug in. And then unplug it after a couple minutes? Who’s going to pay the idle fees?
Valet Supercharging actually doesn’t concern idle fees. For example, like the photo posted by @Limited, you will see the same thing on some downtown New York Superchargers.

But I’m wondering, is 11$/hour expensive for LA parking?

Reactions: Jay Massaro