Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles, CA - Alameda St. (LIVE 17 Sep 2020, 16 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Reported by @kevwerks in the Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation) thread:
In addition to the approved building plan check that kevwerks found, I also found another for the electrical plan which was approved in November 2019--E19LA04515. So far, the actual work permits to commence construction haven't been issued yet.

What: New 16-stall supercharger, likely urban-style superchargers, in development for future installation in a parking structure at ROW DTLA.
Address: 787 S ALAMEDA ST 90021

GPS (guess): 34.033502, -118.240852

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Reported by @kevwerks in the Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation) thread: In addition to the approved building plan check that kevwerks found, I also found another for the electrical plan which was approved in November 2019--E19LA04515. So far, the actual work permits to commence construction haven't been issued yet.

What: New 16-stall supercharger, likely urban-style superchargers, in development for future installation in a parking structure at ROW DTLA.
Address: 787 S ALAMEDA ST 90021

GPS (guess): 34.033502, -118.240852

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP
Added, thanks!

My guess it would be urban chargers:
From electrical permit mentioned above: "Scope includes (2) 800-Amps distribution"
480V * 800A * 2 * 3 (three phases) = 1330kVA which roughly corresponds to 16 urban chargers. (72Kw * 16 = 1152Kw)

Finally, a charger directly between Santa Monica and San Bernardino that isn't valet. Now, if they would only add Pomona and/or El Monte. With traffic, any detour is a lot of wasted time so we need as many chargers as possible.

Yeah this is a good stop gap, but there really needs to be a 250kW charger off the 10 somewhere near Pomona. That's probably the biggest hole in Southern California right now.

The supercharging situation on the westside of LA is becoming infuriatinf. If you live in westwood, pacific palisades, beverly hills, century city, west hollywood, etc it is now impossible to get a charge without waiting in a long line at either culver city or santa monica.

We need large V2/V3 stations in this part of town - ideally several, especially with model Y launch. Anyone know why these planned locations are being delayed and possibly abandoned?

The supercharging situation on the westside of LA is becoming infuriatinf. If you live in westwood, pacific palisades, beverly hills, century city, west hollywood, etc it is now impossible to get a charge without waiting in a long line at either culver city or santa monica.

We need large V2/V3 stations in this part of town - ideally several, especially with model Y launch. Anyone know why these planned locations are being delayed and possibly abandoned?

It sounds like you're assuming Tesla should support supercharging cars near where those cars are homed. This has been debated, but my sense is they want you to be charging at home, not supercharging near home and then going home. It's a lot more logical in my opinion. This does leave apartment dwellers without dedicated charger-enabled parking spots without a way to charge, but I think we should be working towards getting apartments wired or creating L2 charger blocks along city streets adjacent to apartments. Asking people to regularly supercharge 20-40 mins a day before heading home is going to be unacceptable to most car owners in the long term, even if there were no lines at superchargers. Workplace charging is another option.

That said, I do feel that if lines are forming regularly at any location for any reason, Tesla would be working to eliminate those lines.

It sounds like you're assuming Tesla should support supercharging cars near where those cars are homed. This has been debated, but my sense is they want you to be charging at home, not supercharging near home and then going home. It's a lot more logical in my opinion. This does leave apartment dwellers without dedicated charger-enabled parking spots without a way to charge, but I think we should be working towards getting apartments wired or creating L2 charger blocks along city streets adjacent to apartments. Asking people to regularly supercharge 20-40 mins a day before heading home is going to be unacceptable to most car owners in the long term, even if there were no lines at superchargers. Workplace charging is another option.

That said, I do feel that if lines are forming regularly at any location for any reason, Tesla would be working to eliminate those lines.

Many thousands of people visit BH, WH, Century City every day that don't live there. They would be perfect neighborhoods to put 20-stall urban chargers since you could go out and do some shopping or dining while you charge.

Despite that fact, those areas have nothing, while the South Bay gets its 5th supercharger within a three mile radius.