Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s your state of charge?

Guess having a Long Range is a bit misleading. I came in with 90 miles of range. Seems like that’s 34% of range. Also, kind of chilly in LA, but I didn’t think it would slow down that much. So this is normal?

4CF25517-A817-48F9-9CAD-C601135D7EB3.png

I drove for 30 minutes before I arrived and I wasn't sharing. There were empty spots between most cars at the charger. I ranged from 28kW to 72kw but mostly stayed in the 50s. I will try another stall next time to check if this is not normal.

Simply call Tesla or use their chat feature to determine whether and which pedestals are underperforming. Until this information is communicated to drivers in real time, that's your only option to determine pedestal health at a site without trying them sequentially.

That said, depending upon a few things, and leaving out others for brevity, if your SOC (and I'd recommend using % instead of miles) and whatever your current rate total significantly less than 120 (again, I'm generalizing) after 10 minutes, then find a different pedestal.

I'm seeing +~65% in 40 minutes at the urban chargers (which are not subject to pairing penalty), but it takes an absurdly long time (much worse than usual with "classic" pedestals) to get from 80% to 100%.

Fortunately, unless you're trying to shave time from a known road trip, say, eastbound, there's almost zero reason to have to charge to 100% at an urban charger in SoCal.

WIll be interesting to see how Tesla chooses to deploy SC v3 this year and next.

I drove for 30 minutes before I arrived and I wasn't sharing. There were empty spots between most cars at the charger.

30 minutes could be enough to warm the battery up, but it depends on the type of driving and the weather.

Pairing is NOT about who you're parked next to or where the empty spots are, it is whether both the A and B sides of a charger cabinet are in use or not. Those are two different things. Charger pedestals are often configured as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc, but not always. Its been a while since I've been to Hawthorne so I can't say for certain, but in my experience the older charging locations are more likely to have unintuitive pedestal configurations.

30 minutes could be enough to warm the battery up, but it depends on the type of driving and the weather.

Pairing is NOT about who you're parked next to or where the empty spots are, it is whether both the A and B sides of a charger cabinet are in use or not. Those are two different things. Charger pedestals are often configured as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc, but not always. Its been a while since I've been to Hawthorne so I can't say for certain, but in my experience the older charging locations are more likely to have unintuitive pedestal configurations.
If I remember correctly, the pairing at Hawthorne was unique in that are not next to each other.

Reactions: bxr140
Came back again and I had a car to my left and a car to my right. I started charging at 115kW and tapered off to 50kW when I got near 80%. After 80%, it went down to 35kW. As expected since battery is almost full.

I went from 37miles of range to 255miles in 30min while charging as the middle car.

Seems like the pairing is not next to each pedestal like others mentioned.

Last edited: